Unable to pass emissions

Yes, all the political crap that accompanies Ca smog laws. I had a samurai that blew perfect numbers but the EGR modulator didn’t work correctly. Fixed the issue and the numbers barely passed. Silly requirements made by silly politicians.
I’m not against smog laws, just like Mr.Blaine said. All that should matter is tail pipe numbers.
I guess ensuring the vehicle system is working correctly also help with mileage.
I will take a smog check every other year, CA is pretty liberal with the off road modifications.

CA is pretty liberal with the off road modifications.
Ssshhh... don't make that too public or they'll come after that too. I'm surprised I've never been stopped for my tires sticking out, my TJ hasn't had fender flares installed for 8-9 years. Maybe because I drive like the old man I have become and keep my Jeep in the right-most lanes lol.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Ssshhh... don't make that too public or they'll come after that too. I'm surprised I've never been stopped for my tires sticking out, my TJ hasn't had fender flares installed for 8-9 years. Maybe because I drive like the old man I have become and keep my Jeep in the right-most lanes lol.
There is something to that Jerry. I have never been bothered either. But a lot of the younger crowd seems to have issues. I live in a small town, the police chief drives a modded JK.
Just don’t give em a reason.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Going thru this right now with my 05 TJ. Threw a code for crankshaft position sensor early last month. Had one in the garage from my OPDA change out a cpl years ago. Tried to clear the code with my reader. Didn't work, so disco'd the battery. And, since I had the battery disco'd, I did the TSB 25-005-13 rewire myself, in the PDC.
So, that was a month ago, been driving it to work, etc. And it's not my daily driver. Or it wasn't until it forced the issue. Being patient. Little jeep still shows "not ready". Throwing no codes tho, and no check engine light.
Being very patient. Very damn patient. Reg is due in 3 weeks. May have to pay the reg unsmogged to avoid late fees... and keep driving... until its "ready".

Mine is showing ready for all monitors except the O2 sensor heater monitor.

I just got off the phone with the owner of my smog test station of choice. He confirmed that he can smog test my jeep even though that monitor is still showing incomplete. He apologized for not already knowing about the exception for 05-06 Wranglers. I made an appointment for Thursday morning.

I made an appointment at my local Jeep dealer for Friday to do TSB #25-005-13 under the extended emissions warranty. I don't want to get the work done until after I get my jeep smogged because I don't want to introduce the possibility of any new issues by disconnecting the battery again prior to the smog test.

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
Going thru this right now with my 05 TJ. Threw a code for crankshaft position sensor early last month. Had one in the garage from my OPDA change out a cpl years ago. Tried to clear the code with my reader. Didn't work, so disco'd the battery. And, since I had the battery disco'd, I did the TSB 25-005-13 rewire myself, in the PDC.
So, that was a month ago, been driving it to work, etc. And it's not my daily driver. Or it wasn't until it forced the issue. Being patient. Little jeep still shows "not ready".
This might help... TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A makes a wiring modification to make the vehicle ready.

This might help... TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A makes a wiring modification to make the vehicle ready.
May be a stupid question.. But is 25-005-13 different than 25-005-13 Rev. I only ask because I know that 25-005-13 is a revised TSB already.
I did this one..

20190302_110129.jpg

LA. Can be anywhere from Ventura to Mission Viejo to Riverside in 60 minutes or less. At 4 AM. Otherwise gridlock triples the time.
We are just a bit inland of Lake Elsinore. A bit far but if you find yourself in need of someone tossing the factory DRB scanner on it to see what is going on, that can be arranged.

Reactions: Gollywomper
^^ Good news. You should be able to drive in to any smog test station and pass without a problem.

Read posts 28 and 30, then look at the chart on page 22 of the BAR Smog Check OBD Reference linked here: https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_OBD_Reference_Full_Version.pdf

It reads,

"Jeep 2005-2006 Wrangler O2 sensor, O2 heater, and catalyst readiness monitors may indicate not ready.

Vehicle design anomaly.

TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A contains wiring modification to make vehicle ready.

OIS allows incomplete O2 heater monitor"

The most important language is in bold.

I have confirmed with my local smog testing station that barring other issues, '05-06 Wranglers have a recognized design anomaly and as a result the BAR allows an incomplete O2 heater monitor for those vehicles. He further confirmed that it is not necessary to have TSB 25-005-13 performed if the only issue with the readiness monitors is the O2 sensor heater monitor.

I also contacted my local Jeep dealer and confirmed that my '06 has an ongoing extended warranty for the O2 sensor heater monitor issue with no expiration date or mileage exclusion. I made an appointment to have the warranty work done after I get my smog certificate. However, if the BAR will let me pass smog with the incomplete monitor, why am I letting the dealership mess with otherwise perfectly good wiring? If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

I may wait to have TSB 25-005-13 performed. We'll see.

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
Just went through this same issue. The good news for me (97 TJ), in CA, on a 96-99 vehicle, you are ALLOWED to have any ONE of the three (O2 sensor, O2 heater, catalyst readiness) monitors flashing. I was a moron, and before I was taking my Jeep to the smog station I had disconnected the battery to do some electrical work. The SECOND I pulled the negative battery connection off, I had one of those, “ahhhhhhh sh*t” moments, realizing I just reset the readiness status of my emissions and have to do the wonderful Chrysler drive cycle circus. Sure enough, I hooked up my code reader and all three were blinking. After a day and a half of driving two of them had reset and drove up to the smog station (STAR rating was required by DMV), and asked the tech to do a check prior to and he confirmed you are still allowed to have any one of the three flashing (not reset). Sure enough my O2 heater readiness was still flashing. He didn’t bat an eye, entered all the data and 10 minutes later passed with flying colors and was back on the road. I kept checking the emission status and about another 50 miles and two days later, the O2 heater readiness FINALLY quit flashing.

Last edited:
Great information guys and gals! The sensor ' not ready ' anomaly - pass will go over with my local smog shops like a fart in church.
I'm going to head to a Smog Shop east of my location because the local smog check places seem lost to anything built in America that's 10 years old or more. I live in a foreign car mecca. Seeing a Jeep TJ on the road around my house is about as common as seeing a P51 Mustang fly over. But not nearly as cool.
Going to head towards Riverside and try out there.