Upgrading Dana 35 to a Super Dana 35 and installing a locker in front Dana 30

Jacob Hurley

Hello, I am very new to wheeling but I understand that if I want to put 35s on my TJ. I need to either get a ford 8.8(I really don't want to swap my axle) or do a Super 35 kit. I know that the super 35 upgrades the weak 27 spline shaft to a 30 spline. But I am confused on weather or not I can just buy a revolutionary Super 35 kit with the shafts or do I have to also change other parts within the dana 35 diff? I am planning on doing all the work myself and with a friend that can regear. But I just want to understand weather or not I need to upgrade other parts in the axle or can I just buy a revolutionary 30 spline axle shaft with a Detroit locker(If I can find one. So far all I can find is a Ten Factory with a Detroit locker) and then get 5.13 gears and call it good? I am also planning on regearing the front to 5.13 and also putting a Aussie locker in it. Will I need to change the carrier at all for regearing or do I just need the gears? I have read many of the forms on here and other places but because I am new to axles and gearing I am just struggling a little bit to understand what all needs to be done to upgrade and regear.

The current terrain around me is clay, with rocks and some moderate to steep climes, I plan on going to Uwharrie mainly. I went today(April 29, 2023) and it was all mudding and the rocks were slick, But I was still able to do all but 2 of the trails with 32s and a 2 inch lift, did not hit but the rear diff just barely due to sliding off a rock. I found that both my front and rear wheels would slip which I know lockers would help prevent this. But I also want to do 35s so I can do Daniel and Dickey bell the 2 hardest trails their but I need 35s and lockers to get through due to lots of rocks and deep holes.

I due plan on also installing a 4 inch lift so I know I won't have problems fitting 35s, I am also planning on modifying the fender wells to get more clearance for 35s

Edit: I found this kit https://www.cjjeepparts.com/rak35lk-dl-revolution-gear-axle.html
And in this thread
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/dana-super-35-kit-installation.38098/

It says “Installing the rear locker only involves shimming it left/right until the backlash (slop) between the ring & pinion gears is correct. Yes you will reinstall your same ring gear onto the locker, and no gear setup is required other than the easy backlash setup.” - Jerry Bransford

So would this mean when I do the super 35 kit and the locker all I have to do it by new gears that fit a Dana 35 and then shim for backlash and so on? Or do I have to do something else?

On the Dana 30 I found that all I have to do is get some new 27 spline axle shafts that are stronger and then new gears and a locker for it and shim the gears for backlash and so on as well.

If anyone else has something to add or can point out something I am doing wrong please to tell. Anything is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Brand-new gears would require a full gear setup that is far more difficult and requiring of significantly more expertise than is required to just install a new locker with the existing gears. But with your existing gears a locker like a Detroit Locker, Eaton E-Locker, or ARB Air Locker, would just need to be shimmed a little left or right to achieve the correct amount of backlash. No gear setup would be required for that.

Brand-new gears would require a full gear setup that is far more difficult and requiring of significantly more expertise than is required to just install a new locker with the existing gears. But with your existing gears a locker like a Detroit Locker, Eaton E-Locker, or ARB Air Locker, would just need to be shimmed a little left or right to achieve the correct amount of backlash. No gear setup would be required for that.

After some more research I learned what all needs to be done to regear both front and rear axle. I have the tools to do it. Just got to look up the backlash and what not so I can set that right and have the pinon lined up with the ring gear. I decided to go with 4.88 for 35s will give me a good rpm at highway speeds but also good on the trails.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
@Jacob Hurley I just did a Super35 install. Here's a thread I made about cost. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/super-35-cost.69877/

How much seat time have you had? I'm happy with my Super35 and e-locker, and I do recommend it, but I also recommend seat time before you start throwing parts. I'm on 33s, and I think the face of Daniel is the only thing I can't do at Uwharrie, but I'm also not going to try.

Last edited:
@Jacob Hurley I just did a Super35 install. Here's a thread I made about cost. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/super-35-cost.69877/

How much seat time have you had? I'm happy with my Super35 and e-locker, and I do recommend it, but I also recommend seat time before you start throwing parts. I'm on 33s, and I think the face of Daniel is the only thing I can't do at Uwharrie, but I'm also not going to try.

About 15 hours over 2 days and I plan on going at least 2 days a week this year. Just going other the trails and learning how my jeep reacts to situations and stuff

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Now I know, you are gonna look at the 15 hours and think he has no reason in buying those upgrades and that without a good spoter you have no business in going up Daniel or Dickey bell. And well that stuff is true but I feel that with some patience and practice and trying things and really finding a good line you can do it even if it’s your first time. Also I do not plan on putting these things on and saying alright let’s go straight to Daniel or Dickey bell. No I plan on taking my time and learning my jeep before I try anything crazy. And I look at these trails like this, I can always go down the trail and if I don’t think I can do it I can turn around. So yes I have enough common sense to look at something and be like nope I should do that yet and turn around.

I also agree that seat time is better before putting parts on but me and my dad will be fixing rust and have it torn apart and so on so that is also why I am looking at upgrades now rather than later. It is only because we will have it apart.

Reactions: Hopper