Upgrading my TJ to be more off-road capable

dont get me wrong, the viair is better but I understand that you are a student and that you are trying to save as much as possible, I got those two articles and they have been just fine...
IMO, a quality air compressor is something that's worth investing in. Even if you only use it sporadically, it's worth spending a little more money on something that will last you a long time. I've been using my Viar compressor for 10 years now.

IMO, a quality air compressor is something that's worth investing in. Even if you only use it sporadically, it's worth spending a little more money on something that will last you a long time. I've been using my Viar compressor for 10 years now.

well.. to put in perspective everything in a Jeep is worth spending a little more money for good quality parts, so I wouldn't recommend anything cheap unless I've tried and tested... per example I would NEVER recommend the skyjackers lifts since the shocks are trash and the control arms bushings last only a few months.. (I've tried skyjacker, still haven't been able to get rid of the lower control arms and their crappy bushings..) but for a young man that is just starting in the jeep world I would suspect that saving 30 bucks in an air compressor would be better than lasting 2-4 years more than a cheaper one... but at the end we only provide options, the final decision is up to the OP

Reactions: JMT and Austin O.
@Austin O., you have plenty of good advice here. I'm just glad you are doing it. And by the way, you have a beautiful TJ. It is very, very nice. They are so much fun. Summer is going to be a blast with the top off! There is nothing like it. Doors off and you've hit the closest thing to heaven this side of eternity.

@Austin O., you have plenty of good advice here. I'm just glad you are doing it. And by the way, you have a beautiful TJ. It is very, very nice. They are so much fun. Summer is going to be a blast with the top off! There is nothing like it. Doors off and you've hit the closest thing to heaven this side of eternity.

Thank you! I had the top off with half doors for about a month after I got it before it got too cold... sooo fun! I cant wait till spring/summer!

When I bought my TJ new in 2004, I was more cash strapped than I am now. I had big upgrade plans, but they would take quite some time to complete due to cost.

I decided that as a temporary measure until I could built as I really wanted, I would work to get extra clearance to fit 32s as cheaply as possible and add sway bar disconnects. The extra clearance was accomplished with a 2" coil spacer budget boost (shocks included) and a 1" aluminum body lift. The sway bar disconnects were JKS quicker disconnects (which I still run).

I was so happy with these minor and cheap mods that I actually ran this way until a just few years ago when stock parts started wearing out. I've finally started to build the way I had originally planned almost 20 years ago.

I would agree with other folks here who said to add sway bar disconnects. I would definitely do this first as it makes quite a difference in the front suspensions ability to flex. Then, if you want clearance for slightly bigger tires, go with a small body lift and/or coil spacers. All of these things are relatively cheap and are very easy to install. I also agree with the air compressor recommendation.

I bought my Jeep over 20 years ago and all it had was 31s and a 4 cyl. Back then, like you, I didn't have a lot of money to put into it. I had big dreams of a lift, new tires, lockers, a winch, armor, and enough lights to be seen from space. After 23 years, the best upgrade I ever made was in seat time. The experience gained from learning to wheel what you have will guide you on what you actually need over what you think you need. To this day, I've really only added a 4" lift and tires. I have the time of my life and I get a kick out of the look on others' faces when they realize I took my open diff, 4cyl up the same obstacles they did in their fancy new Rubicon. I'd suggest a good air compressor and some recovery gear and then go wheeling with your dad. Should be good times!

I bought my Jeep over 20 years ago and all it had was 31s and a 4 cyl. Back then, like you, I didn't have a lot of money to put into it. I had big dreams of a lift, new tires, lockers, a winch, armor, and enough lights to be seen from space. After 23 years, the best upgrade I ever made was in seat time. The experience gained from learning to wheel what you have will guide you on what you actually need over what you think you need. To this day, I've really only added a 4" lift and tires. I have the time of my life and I get a kick out of the look on others' faces when they realize I took my open diff, 4cyl up the same obstacles they did in their fancy new Rubicon. I'd suggest a good air compressor and some recovery gear and then go wheeling with your dad. Should be good times!

Sounds good! Thanks!

Reactions: ColoJeep
Yall recommended front sway bar link quick disconnects... I cant find any for a small lift (planning to do 1.25 inches). Everything is 2 inches or more. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Austin O.
Do not over think that you have to do a bunch of mods to go off roading in your Jeep.
I live Dirt Every Day just to drive down to the paved county road.
We use our Rubican to get out and explore old mines and prospecting with our metal detectors.
Air down? Never do that no need too.
Sway bar disconnect Never do that either.
I drive in either 2wd or 4wd low range.
With the limited slip in the rear axle I can drive in deep sand and not get stuck in 2wd
If it get really bad I shift in to 4wd low range.
I have been off roading since the late 1960's, I learned how from my Dad.
He went everywhere in AZ and Calif deserts in two wheel drive pickup trucks back in the 1950's
Prospecting for mines.

My dad learned from old timers who went everywhere in Model T's.

OLD timer.jpg

Last edited:
Do not over think that you have to do a bunch of mods to go off roading in your Jeep.
We use our Rubican to get out and explore old mines and prospecting with our metal detectors.
With the limited slip in the rear axle I can drive in deep sand and not get stuck in 2wd
He went everywhere in AZ and Calif deserts in two wheel drive pickup trucks back in the 1950's
Prospecting for mines.

@Austin O. already mentioned he's going to be at Uwharrie most of the time. Slightly different terrain than what you've mentioned.

Prospecting for mines.

My dad learned from old timers who went everywhere in Model T's.

View attachment 384432

You're not wrong. My first memories of offroading were with my grandparents and my parents in Dune buggies (like the Meyer Manx style). Two Wheel drive and we'd go bomb the two tracks in northern michigan. Never got stuck (that I remember anyway).

But, you can invest a little bit of money and gain a WHOLE lot of capability if you're going to start playing in off road parks.

Reactions: SvtLdr
@Austin O. I assume this is your daily driver, and I know you're on a tight budget. I suggest you think minimalistic. Your Jeep is capable of riding around at Uwharrie as is, you just won't be doing any of the harder stuff.

Edit; take care of all standard maintenance items first.

1) sway bar disconnects are relatively cheap and allow you to keep your tires on the ground more.
2) get some good AT tires like BFG K02 when the time comes. AT tires will be quieter and last 2-3 time longer. (than MT)
3) consider a 2" spacer lift, and maybe a 1" body lift, both relatively cheap

I'd focus on those 3 things first.

4) when the time comes, spend the money to have your Jeep geared correctly for your chosen tire size. This is the time you'd consider a different differential, like a limited slip or locker.

Last edited:
@Austin O. I assume this is your daily driver, and I know you're on a tight budget. I suggest you think minimalistic. Your Jeep is capable of riding around at Uwharrie as is, you just won't be doing any of the harder stuff.

1) sway bar disconnects are relatively cheap and allow you to keep your tires on the ground more.
2) get some good AT tires like BFG K02 when the time comes. AT tires will be quieter and last 2-3 time longer.
3) consider a 2" spacer lift, and maybe a 1" body lift, both relatively cheap

I'd focus on those 3 things first.

4) when the time comes, spend the money to have your Jeep geared correctly for your chosen tire size. This is the time you'd consider a different differential, like a limited slip or locker.

Thank you. It is my daily driver. As for the tires, many people have recommended MT, you think AT is better? I think I’m pretty set right now on getting a 1.25” body lift and 31s. I think that will be good at Uwharrie if I don’t want to go too much bigger right now?

Reactions: SvtLdr and RINC
There are some very good hybrid tires out right now that combine lots of the attributes of both AT and MT tires.

I have Cooper Rugged Treks on my Ranger and I really like them.

I will be putting a set on my Wrangler when the time comes.

They perform great off road and are very quiet and civil on road.

I don't know how they last as I've only had them on a few months, but so far I like them much better than the highly rated Falken Wildpeak AT3s they replaced.

J152468?obj=car&wid=1200&hei=900&sharpen=1.jpg

Last edited: