Upgrading my TJ to be more off-road capable

I’m practically on the border… I drive in both states pretty much every week. Some of those SC roads are crazy.

That state line transition can be crazy. People never believe me until they feel the difference for themselves. You don't even have to see the state line signs to know. It's like braille for your butt. :LOL:

That state line transition can be crazy. People never believe me until they feel the difference for themselves. You don't even have to see the state line signs to know. It's like braille for your butt. :LOL:

Best explanation I’ve heard. I’ll have to start using that

Reactions: BlueC
nice looking ride you’ve got. get yourself some good tires and just go out and have some fun for a while. this will give you time to figure and refigure what you really want/need for upgrades. merry christmas young jeeper!

nice looking ride you’ve got. get yourself some good tires and just go out and have some fun for a while. this will give you time to figure and refigure what you really want/need for upgrades. merry christmas young jeeper!

That’s the plan! Thank you!

Thank you. Im looking to get 31s… This site says 255/70r17 are 31.1 inches. Is that wrong? What what size am I looking for then?

Edit: My bad, I said r15 before. Was supposed to be r17. Sorry about that

Worth doing research on load range C vs load range E tyres. The 255/75 r17 KO2 looks to be load range E in the US.

Reactions: Austin O.
Worth doing research on load range C vs load range E tyres. The 255/75 r17 KO2 looks to be load range E in the US.

That’s something I hadn’t really thought of. 255/70r17 KO2s are load range E.

From my understanding, E is going to be thicker, heavier, and more durable. So it won’t flex as much when aired down, but it is less likely to break when off-road? It’s meant to hold more weight?

And then C is going it flex much more when off-road and aired down, and it’s softer so it’ll be a smoother ride on road, but it’ll be less durable off road?

I’ve got a very basic understanding of it… I think… Does it matter all that much? It’s seems like a large amount of people on the forum like KO2s despite us all having tjs which are relatively small.

Last edited:

From my understanding, E is going to be thicker, heavier, and more durable. So it won’t flex as much when aired down, but it is less likely to break when off-road? It’s meant to hold more weight?

And then C is going it flex much more when off-road and aired down, and it’s softer so it’ll be a smoother ride on road, but it’ll be less durable off road?

I’ve got a very basic understanding of it… I think… Does it matter all that much? It’s seems like a large amount of people on the forum like KO2s despite us all having tjs which are relatively light.

That's the gist of it. These TJs are relatively lightweight, so the E will have a harsher ride. Not all KO2s are "E" rated. My 33x12.50x15 KO2s are "C'' rated. Talk to a tire guy, tell them about what size you want and see if they can find a "C" rated tire.

Reactions: Austin O. and RINC

I’ve got a very basic understanding of it… I think… Does it matter all that much? It’s seems like a large amount of people on the forum like KO2s despite us all having tjs which are relatively light.

Load range E are meant to carry heavier loads (standard equipment on 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks) and often do have thicker sidewalls for that reason. Some here prefer Es for added piece of mind in the rocks. I've personally only had Cs on my TJ and have never had a problem in the rocks we have here in the desert.

For a DD, I'd lean toward a C on a light vehicle like the TJ. BFGs do have a good name, but really any of the big name brands (Goodyear, General, Cooper, Toyo, Falken, etc.) should provide you good quality, so I'd determine size, AT vs. MT and load range first, and then see what options are available that check those boxes.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Austin O. and RINC
That's the gist of it. These TJs are relatively lightweight, so the E will have a harsher ride. Not all KO2s are "E" rated. My 33x12.50x15 KO2s are "C'' rated. Talk to a tire guy, tell them about what size you want and see if they can find a "C" rated tire.

31x10.50r15 KO2's. C rated
flexy001.jpg

Reactions: BlueC and Austin O.
Load range E are meant to carry heavier loads (standard equipment on 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks) and often do have thicker sidewalls for that reason. Some here prefer Es for added piece of mind in the rocks. I've personally only had Cs on my TJ and have never had a problem in the rocks we have here in the desert.

For a DD, I'd lean toward a C on a light vehicle like the TJ. BFGs do have a good name, but really any of the big name brands (Goodyear, General, Cooper, Toyo, Falken, etc.) should provide you good quality, so I'd determine size, AT vs. MT and load range first, and then see what options are available that check those boxes.

I’ll do that. Thanks!

Everything I see online (after looking super quickly) is E for KO2 31s, but I see many KO2 33s that are C. I guess I’ll just have to do a bit more research.

Reactions: BlueC
That's the gist of it. These TJs are relatively lightweight...
No they're not, they just look that way to some. They have a full heavy steel tub on a full steel frame design and are significantly heavier than most cars. My previous TJ was 4100 lbs. on the local truck scale.

It is his daily driver. He lives in an area where front yards have been paved over decades ago (sometimes that's literal). According to our State DOT we have nearly 80,000 miles of state roads, of which 95%+ are paved. We have to actively seek areas without pavement around here. Of course, if he crosses the NC/SC line, that pavement instantly turns into a pothole-dodging-rock-crawling event at speed. :LOL:

I’ve got 3 TJ’s that are DD’s for me and my twin sons. We all run MT’s. We are mostly all on road. Who isn’t if it isn’t a dedicated trail rig? Practical? Who cares. It looks bad ass! Besides, the OP in the title wants to improve off-road capability

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: SvtLdr and RINC
No they're not, they just look that way to some. They have a full heavy steel tub on a full steel frame design and are significantly heavier than most cars. My previous TJ was 4100 lbs. on the local truck scale.

Context. How much does a typical one ton truck weigh that engineers suggest using an “E” rated tire on?

I do agree, they are not light. I wonder what the weight distribution is on them. Anyone know and can point to a source?

Reactions: RINC
Context. How much does a typical one ton truck weigh that engineers suggest using an “E” rated tire on?

I do agree, they are not light. I wonder what the weight distribution is on them. Anyone know and can point to a source?

My TJ was about 50/50 last time it was on the scales. Things have changed a bit since them, maybe I'll weigh it again.

Reactions: Fouledplugs