Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I have used Alpine decks for over 25 years now. I've got a UTE-73BT in my jeep now but it doesn't have a *clock* which turns out to be a key feature for me. I ordered the CDE-175BT yesterday and am looking forward to having CD capability again. And the 5V pre-outs don't hurt either. :)

Alpine makes some nice decks, and they have a tuneit app that is cool to use for a little bit, if you're into that stuff.

Alpine makes some nice decks, and they have a tuneit app that is cool to use for a little bit, if you're into that stuff.
Yeah I had one of their Tuneit-enabled decks but it went with the car it was in when I sold it. Really powerful app, but I'm running a DSR-1 DSP currently, so I've got even more "knobs" to play with.

Yeah I had one of their Tuneit-enabled decks but it went with the car it was in when I sold it. Really powerful app, but I'm running a DSR-1 DSP currently, so I've got even more "knobs" to play with.

Great DSP for sure. Next time around check out Audiotec Fischer's DSP's, that come with a built-in amplifier. I have one with 8 amplified channels and 9 DSP channels...really cool and addicting technology.

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
Interesting, can you post a picture of these aftermarket front dash pods?

Most members use the Select Increment pods. Here is a link to them, a and a picture of my 5.25" in them.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_0401.htm
View attachment 218497
Here are the factory front pods. They came with the premium package on the LJs.

Most members use the Select Increment pods. Here is a link to them, a and a picture of my 5.25" in them.

View attachment 218497
F336CB9E-8FEF-4AA9-A423-A2E03BCFB281.jpeg

View attachment 218497
Here are the factory pods from the LJ

Here are the factory front pods. They came with the premium package on the LJs.

View attachment 220714

Here are the factory pods from the LJ

These are just the standard pods from the factory, all wranglers should have these. I have them in my 2005 LJ, non-premium package. If you measure the actual speaker it is like a 4" speaker, and why a 4x6 coaxial is a perfect fit, and we can also squeeze a 5.25" into this location.

You should look into a 5.25" coaxial replacement, and order from Crutchfield since they will send you the mounting brackets. Or you can order from anywhere and buy the mounting brackets (Metra 82-1013) from anywhere, or skip the Metra brackets and get the Select Increment pods. Kicker 5.25" D series are a great economical upgrade.

Use this as a guide as there are many ways to build.

That Soundstream amplifier pushes out four channels at 60 watts at 4 ohms, and one subwoofer channel that pushes out 200 watts at 4 ohms or 350 watts at 2ohms.

That Kicker pro comp (1 ohm version) when wires in series will pull and be stable at 2 ohms.

Now we must look at the other four Kicker speakers.

The 5.25" are rated at 4 ohms up to 225 watts. That is good for this amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html
The 6.5" are rated at 4 ohms and up to 300 watts. Again, this will work well together.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC654/Kicker-46CSC654.html
Amplifier wiring kit is huge as well. Very helpful

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i139_8-gauge-amp-kits.html
So, @skrelnik, I'm getting around to adding bass to the LJ, I have the CS series kickers (5.25" front & 6.5" rear) and was planning on using the Soundstream Nano 5ch amp, just verifying that I want the 1ohm 9.75" Kicker sub and not the 2ohm?

So, @skrelnik, I'm getting around to adding bass to the LJ, I have the CS series kickers (5.25" front & 6.5" rear) and was planning on using the Soundstream Nano 5ch amp, just verifying that I want the 1ohm 9.75" Kicker sub and not the 2ohm?

I will say that either the Kicker 1ohm or 2 ohm would be fine to use with that Soundstream Nano Amp

1) The Amp is rated at 4 ohms and 200 watts RMS or 2 ohms and 350 watts RMS
2) The Kicker, both 1ohm and 2ohm versions, are rated at 200 watts RMS and 350 watts Peak.

What that means is you want to wire either one of them in Series for results like:

1) The Kicker 1ohm wired in series will pull 2 ohms and 350 Watts RMS
2) The Kicker 2ohm wired in series will pull 4 ohms and 200 Watts RMS

In short, either will work well for what you are doing, just wire them in series.

1611795160375.png

Reactions: voodooridr
I will say that either the Kicker 1ohm or 2 ohm would be fine to use with that Soundstream Nano Amp

1) The Amp is rated at 4 ohms and 200 watts RMS or 2 ohms and 350 watts RMS
2) The Kicker, both 1ohm and 2ohm versions, are rated at 200 watts RMS and 350 watts Peak.

What that means is you want to wire either one of them in Series for results like:

1) The Kicker 1ohm wired in series will pull 2 ohms and 350 Watts RMS
2) The Kicker 2ohm wired in series will pull 4 ohms and 200 Watts RMS

In short, either will work well for what you are doing, just wire them in series.

View attachment 221569
Thank you ever so much

Need some suggestions, please. I want to upgrade the front speakers, probably to a round 5.25 kicker in a speaker pod, however, my TJ has an aftermarket roll cage that is probably in the way.
847ADF42-1E1D-4C26-BB4F-16E26AD74057.jpeg
There is only 3 1/2 inches between the upright for the roll cage and the rest of the dash panel. I don’t know if there is enough room to remove the stock speakers and I really don’t want to mess with trying to remove the roll cage. I also don’t want to buy new speakers and not be able to get them installed because there isn’t enough room.
E9B46B5B-D33D-40E1-B4CB-058E73855A16.jpeg
Can I remove the dash panel and get to the speaker? Any other ideas?

Need some suggestions, please. I want to upgrade the front speakers, probably to a round 5.25 kicker in a speaker pod, however, my TJ has an aftermarket roll cage that is probably in the way.

There is only 3 1/2 inches between the upright for the roll cage and the rest of the dash panel. I don’t know if there is enough room to remove the stock speakers and I really don’t want to mess with trying to remove the roll cage. I also don’t want to buy new speakers and not be able to get them installed because there isn’t enough room.
Can I remove the dash panel and get to the speaker? Any other ideas?

interesting - your 4" speakers have apparently been upgraded to JL Audio.

You may be able to get those existing pods out by removing the glovebox and removing the panel under the steering wheel, but sliding them back inside the dash rather than out the front, if that makes sense.

The select increments dash pods are a tight fit and I don't know if you'd be able to get them in there if you were trying to come in from the back (if you are able to remove the stock pods). Also, you may need to cut away some of the metal dash support to prevent the speakers from hitting them. When I cut mine, I had to come in from an angle that's completely blocked by your roll cage.

You may want to use the foam "hats" in conjunction with the 5.25 adapters rather than the pods - the hats are going to be flexible whereas the pods are not. The reason for a pod is to isolate the front and back sound 'waves' from cancelling each other out - the foam hats will help with that a bit.

I think removing the whole dash may be impossible as it looks like your roll cage is bolted over the dash where the dash mounts in the door jamb.

Reactions: AFF and skrelnik
View attachment 222480There is only 3 1/2 inches between the upright for the roll cage and the rest of the dash panel. I don’t know if there is enough room to remove the stock speakers and I really don’t want to mess with trying to remove the roll cage. I also don’t want to buy new speakers and not be able to get them installed because there isn’t enough room.
View attachment 222514Can I remove the dash panel and get to the speaker? Any other ideas?

Have you tried to unscrew them and angle them out? If yes, you can test the waters with the Select Increment dash pods, should fit if those current pods can be removed.

Or Boom Mat 5.25" baffles. Kicker speakers are a great replacement, or these are too good to pass up at the same price point. I have bought from this store before with no issues.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=273557553743

Reactions: AFF
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
interesting - your 4" speakers have apparently been upgraded to JL Audio.

You may be able to get those existing pods out by removing the glovebox and removing the panel under the steering wheel, but sliding them back inside the dash rather than out the front, if that makes sense.

The select increments dash pods are a tight fit and I don't know if you'd be able to get them in there if you were trying to come in from the back (if you are able to remove the stock pods). Also, you may need to cut away some of the metal dash support to prevent the speakers from hitting them. When I cut mine, I had to come in from an angle that's completely blocked by your roll cage.

You may want to use the foam "hats" in conjunction with the 5.25 adapters rather than the pods - the hats are going to be flexible whereas the pods are not. The reason for a pod is to isolate the front and back sound 'waves' from cancelling each other out - the foam hats will help with that a bit.

I think removing the whole dash may be impossible as it looks like your roll cage is bolted over the dash where the dash mounts in the door jamb.
Thanks for the response. I took the glove box out and there is some kind of a speaker pod in there already. I'll have to pull that panel and take a closer look on the driver side.

Have you tried to unscrew them and angle them out? If yes, you can test the waters with the Select Increment dash pods, should fit if those current pods can be removed.

Or Boom Mat 5.25" baffles. Kicker speakers are a great replacement, or these are too good to pass up at the same price point. I have bought from this store before with no issues.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=273557553743

I have not tried to take out the existing speakers/pods. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I didn't see any metal dash support on the passenger side. If there is none, then I should be able to slide the pods in from the side.

Reactions: skrelnik
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks for the response. I took the glove box out and there is some kind of a speaker pod in there already. I'll have to pull that panel and take a closer look on the driver side.
That'll be the factory version most likely.

I was able to wiggle the existing speaker& pod out of the speaker bay. It was tight. There is no metal dash support piece in therer so I don’t have to worry about that. It looks like there *might* be enough room to slide a 5.25 speaker pod in there with the panel under the steering column removed. There’s a lot more room on the passenger side with the glove box out.
C59087EF-853B-4B5B-8AEC-26B8D227D30E.jpeg
I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ll buy the Select Increments dash pods first and make sure I can slide those in before I buy the speakers. That way it will be less to sell if it doesn’t work!:LOL:

Reactions: skrelnik