Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I was able to wiggle the existing speaker& pod out of the speaker bay. It was tight. There is no metal dash support piece in therer so I don’t have to worry about that. It looks like there *might* be enough room to slide a 5.25 speaker pod in there with the panel under the steering column removed. There’s a lot more room on the passenger side with the glove box out.
View attachment 222853I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ll buy the Select Increments dash pods first and make sure I can slide those in before I buy the speakers. That way it will be less to sell if it doesn’t work!:LOL:

Awesome - I have a feeling they will fit just fine. Next up is speakers, and you have some choices. When I bought those Select Increment Pods, it was hard to justify spending more on the pods than the speakers themselves, so I did buy a premium speaker.

Kicker is a great low end option and if you want to go down a European rabbit hole I would be happy to share some others with you.

Awesome - I have a feeling they will fit just fine. Next up is speakers, and you have some choices. When I bought those Select Increment Pods, it was hard to justify spending more on the pods than the speakers themselves, so I did buy a premium speaker.

Kicker is a great low end option and if you want to go down a European rabbit hole I would be happy to share some others with you.

@skrelnik Would be interested in hearing your ranking of these options. I have you're recommended BLAM speakers on my list but InCarTec has the rears as sold out. I know you've recommended Helix and others before. Would be interested in your take on these other options and if its worth holding out for the BLAM.

I was able to wiggle the existing speaker& pod out of the speaker bay. It was tight. There is no metal dash support piece in therer so I don’t have to worry about that. It looks like there *might* be enough room to slide a 5.25 speaker pod in there with the panel under the steering column removed. There’s a lot more room on the passenger side with the glove box out.
View attachment 222853I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ll buy the Select Increments dash pods first and make sure I can slide those in before I buy the speakers. That way it will be less to sell if it doesn’t work!:LOL:
A few tips:
- the pods can only take speakers with a certain depth (crutchfield should be able to tell you this, but you'll need to call them and ask as I dont think its on the website). I bought a pair of morel coax that i had to return because the magnets were too deep
- I could have made the morels fit if I added a spacer to the front of the pod but that would have meant that I would have had to deal with the front of the speakers hitting the dash support.
- The support I had to trim is the one behind the dash that's there in your picture. It has a c-shaped profile (if you were to cut straight across) and I basically just converted it from a "c" profile to an "i" if you look, you can see it in the picture below.
- Dean from 5Star recommends the audison prima 5 coax https://www.audison.eu/products/apx-5/ for this particular vehicle. I trust his judgement and it seems like he considers this option above others (although I dont know if that includes BLAM as that's a more uncommon brand.) I have alpine type R's as I bought them before I learned about the Primas being a good choice.

I have a thread I started for my stereo upgrade project elsewhere in this forum, but I wasn't able to finish it before I started planning and making upgrades. right now I'm re-locating the tweeters but I may end up replacing the DSP as well. Hopefully I'll get things done before the weather warms up.

IMG_6144 copy.jpg

@skrelnik

Share away! I'm open to suggestions. The whole purpose of me doing this is to install better speakers.

I may end up re-doing there entire sound system. The display on the head unit started flickering today

A few tips:
- the pods can only take speakers with a certain depth (crutchfield should be able to tell you this, but you'll need to call them and ask as I dont think its on the website). I bought a pair of morel coax that i had to return because the magnets were too deep
- I could have made the morels fit if I added a spacer to the front of the pod but that would have meant that I would have had to deal with the front of the speakers hitting the dash support.
- The support I had to trim is the one behind the dash that's there in your picture. It has a c-shaped profile (if you were to cut straight across) and I basically just converted it from a "c" profile to an "i" if you look, you can see it in the picture below.
- Dean from 5Star recommends the audison prima 5 coax https://www.audison.eu/products/apx-5/ for this particular vehicle. I trust his judgement and it seems like he considers this option above others (although I dont know if that includes BLAM as that's a more uncommon brand.) I have alpine type R's as I bought them before I learned about the Primas being a good choice.

I have a thread I started for my stereo upgrade project elsewhere in this forum, but I wasn't able to finish it before I started planning and making upgrades. right now I'm re-locating the tweeters but I may end up replacing the DSP as well. Hopefully I'll get things done before the weather warms up.

View attachment 223076

Thanks for the tips. I had already considered the depth of the pods. Amazon has the size listed as 8 x 6 x 7 inches. I assume the 7 is the depth.
I see where you trimmed the support. That isn't the support piece I was talking about. You can see the piece I was talking about in the video below at the 4 minute mark. My Jeep doesn't have that piece on either side of the dash. I don't know if the previous owner removed it or what. There aren't any sharp edges in there so I don't think the pieces were cut out (like in the video).

I'll check out the Primas. Thanks again.

EDIT: I've watched several of the 5Star videos. Lots of good info in them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I had already considered the depth of the pods. Amazon has the size listed as 8 x 6 x 7 inches. I assume the 7 is the depth.
I see where you trimmed the support. That isn't the support piece I was talking about. You can see the piece I was talking about in the video below at the 4 minute mark. My Jeep doesn't have that piece on either side of the dash. I don't know if the previous owner removed it or what. There aren't any sharp edges in there so I don't think the pieces were cut out (like in the video).

I'll check out the Primas. Thanks again.

EDIT: I've watched several of the 5Star videos. Lots of good info in them.

Ok - I see that now. I think that brace was only there on certain years. I have a 2002 and it didn’t have that additional brace.

Ok - I see that now. I think that brace was only there on certain years. I have a 2002 and it didn’t have that additional brace.
I actually just watched a 5 Star video and Dean recommended the Prima speakers. He also said that when the factory installed the premium sound system they remove (or probably didn't install) that support piece. Makes me chuckle a little to think I have the "premium" sound system.

@skrelnik Would be interested in hearing your ranking of these options. I have you're recommended BLAM speakers on my list but InCarTec has the rears as sold out. I know you've recommended Helix and others before. Would be interested in your take on these other options and if its worth holding out for the BLAM.

BLAM is a great value speaker, and high end, as they have a few lines. I do not think holding out it worth it as there are plenty of good speakers out there. The BLAM three-pack, as I call it, is their 5.25", 6.5" with their 4 channel amp.

I see Incartec is out of those 6.5", ouch. You can find the the states but you do pay a premium. These are very efficient 2ohm speakers. I like these BLAMs when paired with the BLAM amp and 5.25", they work well together and are a great value. There are a few of the 6.5" located elsewhere, so if you go with the BLAM amp and 5.25" speaker then I would try to source the 6.5" elsewhere. Now if you want to change your amp and 5.25", that could change things up?

@skrelnik

Share away! I'm open to suggestions. The whole purpose of me doing this is to install better speakers.

I may end up re-doing there entire sound system. The display on the head unit started flickering today

Ha, I got water on my ATV battery yesterday and that got my dash panel flickering. Water on the ground terminal was a bad thing.

Before going down the speaker route, I always a couple things for our TJ. Do you have a center console subwoofer? If yes, a five channel amp is what I always recommend, or a mono amp and a quality head unit driving the other four speakers.

A few tips:

View attachment 223076

Mounting depth is on Crutchfield

Screenshot_20210202-205618.jpg

I actually just watched a 5 Star video and Dean recommended the Prima speakers. He also said that when the factory installed the premium sound system they remove (or probably didn't install) that support piece. Makes me chuckle a little to think I have the "premium" sound system.

I love those guys, they are a funny duo.

BLAM is a great value speaker, and high end, as they have a few lines. I do not think holding out it worth it as there are plenty of good speakers out there. The BLAM three-pack, as I call it, is their 5.25", 6.5" with their 4 channel amp.

I see Incartec is out of those 6.5", ouch. You can find the the states but you do pay a premium. These are very efficient 2ohm speakers. I like these BLAMs when paired with the BLAM amp and 5.25", they work well together and are a great value. There are a few of the 6.5" located elsewhere, so if you go with the BLAM amp and 5.25" speaker then I would try to source the 6.5" elsewhere. Now if you want to change your amp and 5.25", that could change things up?

Ha, I got water on my ATV battery yesterday and that got my dash panel flickering. Water on the ground terminal was a bad thing.

Before going down the speaker route, I always a couple things for our TJ. Do you have a center console subwoofer? If yes, a five channel amp is what I always recommend, or a mono amp and a quality head unit driving the other four speakers.

Mounting depth is on Crutchfield

View attachment 223122
I do have the center console subwoofer. That was the first thing I replaced. I am using the factory amp, though. I posted about it several pages back (post #613). If I end up re-doing the entire system then I'll throw an amp in there and a better sub.

Picked up the Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel and kicker 2ohm subwoofer so far. Also ordered tweeter pods that I plan to put in the a-pillars to help with the sound directionality. Pairing it all with the Xtrons head unit that I picked up too as I really appreciated the reviews on here and like the Android interface.

This radio system upgrade is part of a much larger upgrade (lift, SYE, TT, fenders, etc) that I have planned (parts pilling up in the basement) once I can FINALLY clear out my garage (WK is fighting me every inch on a needed drivetrain repair...). I'm planning to wait on the BLAM until absolutely needed to hit 'buy'. Welcome ideas or suggestions if the BLAM option falls through at that point. ;)

As for comparing the BLAM's and Helix. I have the BLAM's in my TJ. 6.5 in the back and 5.25 in the front. Love them.

I just upgraded the stock speakers in my daughter's Elantra with a couple set's of Helix speakers. Composite's up front in the doors and coax in the back doors. A little bit of a chore getting them in but not too bad.

Comparisons. If you're looking for incredible voice, highs and mids the Helix units are fantastic. I actually like them better in these ranges than the BLAM's. The Elantra has a 10" sub in the trunk driven by a separate amp and a Kenwood deck with a 200 watt amp driving the door speakers. Tuning the car created a perfect balance with the Helix speakers.

As for the Jeep and the BLAMS. I'd do it again for the price I paid for the BLAMS (I was the first one to buy form Incartec back last March) but if I was paying US dealer prices I'd go for the Helix in a heartbeat. The TJ is running a new Sub on the factory amp and I'm using the Alpine iLX650 with the KTA450 amp that snaps on the back. I just installed the amp last week and it improved the entire set up quite a bit.

I will say, however, that the TJ is not a place for high end acoustics. The bar speakers face the floor and the front speakers have less than a 100 degree free face (blocked by the dash on the drivers side. You can tinker with it all you want but the limits are the limits using the factory mounting points.

I do have the center console subwoofer. That was the first thing I replaced. I am using the factory amp, though. I posted about it several pages back (post #613). If I end up re-doing the entire system then I'll throw an amp in there and a better sub.

Ah, that is a good sub, no need to change. It needs an amp, so which version of the Skar sub do you have, the dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

I will recommend a 5 channel amplifer...less money, easier install and smaller footprint than a 4 channel plus mono amp. The extra amplifier power/ground wiring is just not worth it. So I am trying to point you towards a five channel, but check on the specs of your sub.

There is a solid one that @FarFire70 mentioned, Soundstream Picasso Nano 5.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html
Then there is a nice Cerwin Vega B55 Bomber amp that will work well. @Apparition has one and can chime in. This guy built a nice system using the amp.

Sound System:
Kicker 5.25” dash speakers
Kicker 6.5” sound bar speakers
Kicker 6.75” center console subwoofer
Cerwin Vega B55 amp mounted under steering column
Insane Audio TJ1002 head

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/bright-silver-metallic-2006-lj.46056/
But for speakers, I am replying below to @Rooscooter comments about them.

Picked up the Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel and kicker 2ohm subwoofer so far. Also ordered tweeter pods that I plan to put in the a-pillars to help with the sound directionality. Pairing it all with the Xtrons head unit that I picked up too as I really appreciated the reviews on here and like the Android interface.

This radio system upgrade is part of a much larger upgrade (lift, SYE, TT, fenders, etc) that I have planned (parts pilling up in the basement) once I can FINALLY clear out my garage (WK is fighting me every inch on a needed drivetrain repair...). I'm planning to wait on the BLAM until absolutely needed to hit 'buy'. Welcome ideas or suggestions if the BLAM option falls through at that point. ;)

Great to hear. What tweeter pods did you go with as that will dictate what 5.25" set you go with because tweeters could be 0.75" or 1" and those pods may specifically for a certain size?

Your garage sounds like a typical garage - the week before Xmas, prior to the presents getting wrapped. Sounds like that drivetrain repair is a big job and way more important than an audio upgrade. This BLAM line is a great value buy, so you cannot go wrong by waiting, especially since you are not in a rush...but...if you want other options the best value after BLAM would be Kicker, and the next level up would be Helix by Audiotec Fischer - See below for more.

As for comparing the BLAM's and Helix. I have the BLAM's in my TJ. 6.5 in the back and 5.25 in the front. Love them.

I just upgraded the stock speakers in my daughter's Elantra with a couple set's of Helix speakers. Composite's up front in the doors and coax in the back doors. A little bit of a chore getting them in but not too bad.

Comparisons. If you're looking for incredible voice, highs and mids the Helix units are fantastic. I actually like them better in these ranges than the BLAM's. The Elantra has a 10" sub in the trunk driven by a separate amp and a Kenwood deck with a 200 watt amp driving the door speakers. Tuning the car created a perfect balance with the Helix speakers.

As for the Jeep and the BLAMS. I'd do it again for the price I paid for the BLAMS (I was the first one to buy form Incartec back last March) but if I was paying US dealer prices I'd go for the Helix in a heartbeat. The TJ is running a new Sub on the factory amp and I'm using the Alpine iLX650 with the KTA450 amp that snaps on the back. I just installed the amp last week and it improved the entire set up quite a bit.

I will say, however, that the TJ is not a place for high end acoustics. The bar speakers face the floor and the front speakers have less than a 100 degree free face (blocked by the dash on the drivers side. You can tinker with it all you want but the limits are the limits using the factory mounting points.

Amazing review, spot-on, and exactly how I would explain it. Which Helix speakers did you add?

Your review is so spot-on because the BLAM's you have our their entry level, or second model line up out of five, and this model is comparable to Audiotec Fischer's Match line-up, which is their entry level, where the Helix line-up is Audiotec Fischer's mid level brand, and comparable with BLAM's "Live" line-up. The high end BLAM's are their Signature line-up and Audiotec Fischer has Brax has their high end.

So great call, you got it spot on including your assessment of the TJ's audio issues, as I feel the same.

@AFF and @FarFire70

A great 6.5", in expensive replacement that is a notch up from Kicker, and priced similar to Polk, but 1000x better than these Polk DB series, are the Helix F 6x. I know an audio shop that sells gear, and will include custom wiring or anything needed, unexpected creations, or you can use Google to find a reputable seller, like these guys. If anyone has specific questions on Unexpected Creations PM me and I will give you the scoop. I have no affiliation to him but he is like the audio equivalent of Black Magic Brakes so I will push him all day since he is that good.

Helix F 6X — Santa Rosa Cartunes (srcartunes.com)

Unexpected Creations – Only the finest in high-end mobile and home audio

Then for 5.25", there is the Helix F 5X, but I cannot find it for sale online. If you can locate these online I would go for them, assuming the price is around $100. But, Incartec audio has these 5.25" BLAMs, so you may go for them along with the 6.5" Helix.

This is the Match level version:

MATCH MS5X 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers | Audio Intensity

@FarFire70 - You actually need a 5.25" component set, and not a coaxial, since you bought the tweeter pods, correct? Check out these two by audiotec fischer, a match brand, and a Helix brand. Just look at the crossover and you can see why there is a price difference. The Helix one was originally priced around $500-$600 but is now on sale for $300. Expensive but this is a great piece.

MATCH MS52C 5-1/4" component speaker system | Audio Intensity

Helix P52C 5.25" 2 Way Component Speaker System | Audio Intensity

Reactions: AFF
Great to hear. What tweeter pods did you go with as that will dictate what 5.25" set you go with because tweeters could be 0.75" or 1" and those pods may specifically for a certain size?

Went with these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=154025104296

Fit 44-47.5mm tweeters. BLAM are listed as 45mm. Looking at those HELIX they call for 49mm for install so may need a small clearance with the Dremel if I don't go with the BLAM. I've got some time for InCarTec to get the 6.5" back in stock before I get around to the radio upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback on 6.5" options.

Your garage sounds like a typical garage - the week before Xmas, prior to the presents getting wrapped. Sounds like that drivetrain repair is a big job and way more important than an audio upgrade.

Started off a pretty straight forward driveshaft CV and Diff bushing replacement. Now I'm working on replacing half of the front drive side suspension parts trying to accomplish just the original plan.... and still an underlying concern that it's really the transfer case that's the culprit.

Wife's had enough and is ready for me to get it drivable and get it sold... I'm ready to get it drivable and get wrenching on the TJ... :LOL:

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Went with these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=154025104296

Fit 44-47.5mm tweeters. BLAM are listed as 45mm. Looking at those HELIX they call for 49mm for install so may need a small clearance with the Dremel if I don't go with the BLAM. I've got some time for InCarTec to get the 6.5" back in stock before I get around to the radio upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback on 6.5" options.

Ugh, so close, and those Helix 5.25" are amazing. I previously had them prior to what I have now. I damaged one of the tweeters with a 2x4, banged it by accident, so that was the only reason i removed them and actually gave them away to @Moab - Did you ever install them @Moab?

The BLAMS are rock solid so I would stick with them and either hold out for the BLAM 6.5" or go grab the Helix F 6X which are the low end of Helix so you get a great value there.

Started off a pretty straight forward driveshaft CV and Diff bushing replacement. Now I'm working on replacing half of the front drive side suspension parts trying to accomplish just the original plan.... and still an underlying concern that it's really the transfer case that's the culprit.

Wife's had enough and is ready for me to get it drivable and get it sold... I'm ready to get it drivable and get wrenching on the TJ... :LOL:

Ha, too funny - same issues here, need to keep the wife happy...and our garage is one car garage, so when I use it she is not happy parking in the driveway, especially during the cold months.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Ugh, so close, and those Helix 5.25" are amazing. I previously had them prior to what I have now. I damaged one of the tweeters with a 2x4, banged it by accident, so that was the only reason i removed them and actually gave them away to @Moab - Did you ever install them @Moab?

The BLAMS are rock solid so I would stick with them and either hold out for the BLAM 6.5" or go grab the Helix F 6X which are the low end of Helix so you get a great value there.

Ha, too funny - same issues here, need to keep the wife happy...and our garage is one car garage, so when I use it she is not happy parking in the driveway, especially during the cold months.
I have not. Getting new tires this week. Then replacing speakers. Hopefully next week. Have not had alot of time. Wife is not doing well. (Needs a heart transplant.)

I have not. Getting new tires this week. Then replacing speakers. Hopefully next week. Have not had alot of time. Wife is not doing well. (Needs a heart transplant.)
Was wondering how she was doing. Sorry to hear that but best wishes it all works out.

Reactions: skrelnik
Ah, that is a good sub, no need to change. It needs an amp, so which version of the Skar sub do you have, the dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

I got the dual 4 0hm.

I appreciate all the feedback. I’m pretty much illiterate when it comes to this stuff.