Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I got the dual 4 0hm.

I appreciate all the feedback. I’m pretty much illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

Perfect, so with the dual 4 ohm you want to wire in parallel (pull 2 ohms) with one of those recommended amps, the Soundstream or Cerwin Vega B55 Bomber. This is a picture of how it should be wired to an amplifier channel, whether or not it is a 1 channel amplifier or a 5 channel amplifier.

1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

Reactions: AFF
Got my 1ohm Kicker sub and OE sub enclosure, pulled the amp and tossed the blown up cheap sub that was living in the enclosure.
time to dig out the piece of 1/4" ABS I have in storage to cover the hole the sub came out of.
Just need to find an armrest shell and order a Soundstream Nano

Reactions: Silverado
Got my 1ohm Kicker sub and OE sub enclosure, pulled the amp and tossed the blown up cheap sub that was living in the enclosure.
time to dig out the piece of 1/4" ABS I have in storage to cover the hole the sub came out of.
Just need to find an armrest shell and order a Soundstream Nano

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I had already considered the depth of the pods. Amazon has the size listed as 8 x 6 x 7 inches. I assume the 7 is the depth.
I see where you trimmed the support. That isn't the support piece I was talking about. You can see the piece I was talking about in the video below at the 4 minute mark. My Jeep doesn't have that piece on either side of the dash. I don't know if the previous owner removed it or what. There aren't any sharp edges in there so I don't think the pieces were cut out (like in the video).

I'll check out the Primas. Thanks again.

EDIT: I've watched several of the 5Star videos. Lots of good info in them.

these JLs 5.25 fit. Need patience lol but worth it. ( Double post sorry!)

082A6DC2-A3AB-4FD9-A83F-EA9ECB05C189.jpeg

My Select increments dash pods came in and I did a dry fit with no speakers mounted in the pod. Surprisingly, I was able to slide the pod in with no difficulty. But I may have a problem after I mount a speaker. There is only about 1/4 inch space between the pod and the metal support piece At the top.

7A0E0860-361E-4B61-B1FD-43A26F779866.jpeg

I have not bought the speakers yet. I’m thinking it will just be the frame of the speaker that *might* make contact with the support piece. @112dB trimmed the support piece (see post #683), but I’m not comfortable doing that. Has anyone else run into this issue and what did you do to remedy?

My Select increments dash pods came in and I did a dry fit with no speakers mounted in the pod. Surprisingly, I was able to slide the pod in with no difficulty. But I may have a problem after I mount a speaker. There is only about 1/4 inch space between the pod and the metal support piece At the top.

View attachment 224038

I have not bought the speakers yet. I’m thinking it will just be the frame of the speaker that *might* make contact with the support piece. @112dB trimmed the support piece (see post #683), but I’m not comfortable doing that. Has anyone else run into this issue and what did you do to remedy?

ryobi 18v sawzall works well. Just don’t get overzealous.

you can bend it or try bending the top mount where the pods attach back a bit to give you more clearance.

you may also look for a speaker with a surround (gaskety-thing outside of speaker cone where it mounts to the speaker ‘frame’) that has a lower profile - or multiple back and forth curves (or waves) rather than just one curve. I’m doing a horrible job of describing this and the specific term for the multi-‘wave’ surround design escapes me right now but this image below kinda shows what I mean.

https://www.alpine-electronics.nl/f...9_Type-S-Series/S-S65/HAMR-Surround_S-S65.jpg
But more important is to reduce the speaker excursion. You’ll want to limit how low the speakers play (or more accurately how loud they will play lower frequencies) as this is where you get the cone hitting things in front as the cone is pushed farther forward (and backward but that’s not the concern here) to reproduce those lower frequencies. To do so you need to put in a high pass filter (high pass crossover) that allows higher frequencies to play but limits lower frequencies. You can do this with a capacitor in line with the speaker or by using a crossover built into your amp. You’ll lose some of the bass coming from your dash speakers but if you have a sub in the console that can help make up for it.

I hope that helps. Or at least doesn’t confuse you more. I try to explain things in the simplest terms I can, so please don’t be offended if I’m explaining something you already know.

Reactions: AFF

one other thing about the select increments pods - I noticed mine leaked air out the screw holes that are used to mount them in the dash. You may need to check for this and patch them if they do.

one other thing about the select increments pods - I noticed mine leaked air out the screw holes that are used to mount them in the dash. You may need to check for this and patch them if they do.

View attachment 224038

Great call. You can use dynamat or similar like what I, and others, have done.

IMG_20200617_152105.jpg

ryobi 18v sawzall works well. Just don’t get overzealous.

you can bend it or try bending the top mount where the pods attach back a bit to give you more clearance.

you may also look for a speaker with a surround (gaskety-thing outside of speaker cone where it mounts to the speaker ‘frame’) that has a lower profile - or multiple back and forth curves (or waves) rather than just one curve. I’m doing a horrible job of describing this and the specific term for the multi-‘wave’ surround design escapes me right now but this image below kinda shows what I mean.

https://www.alpine-electronics.nl/f...9_Type-S-Series/S-S65/HAMR-Surround_S-S65.jpg
But more important is to reduce the speaker excursion. You’ll want to limit how low the speakers play (or more accurately how loud they will play lower frequencies) as this is where you get the cone hitting things in front as the cone is pushed farther forward (and backward but that’s not the concern here) to reproduce those lower frequencies. To do so you need to put in a high pass filter (high pass crossover) that allows higher frequencies to play but limits lower frequencies. You can do this with a capacitor in line with the speaker or by using a crossover built into your amp. You’ll lose some of the bass coming from your dash speakers but if you have a sub in the console that can help make up for it.

I hope that helps. Or at least doesn’t confuse you more. I try to explain things in the simplest terms I can, so please don’t be offended if I’m explaining something you already know.
Appreciate the response. i completely understand you. The speakers I’m looking at are the Audison Prima 5 1/4. They have that kind of corrugated surround that looks like it is pretty low profile.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SD5CKC6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
i don’t want to limit any of the bass as the main objective of changing the speakers is to get more bass into the sound. I’ll see if I can somehow mount the pod on the backside of the mounting bracket. If I can do that I won’t have to modify the Jeep at all. Again, thanks for the response. (y)

Thanks. I’ll make sure they are all sealed up.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the Audison Prima 5 1/4 speakers. They have the lowest profile on the surround that I've seen. I'm hoping they don't require me to modify the Jeep at all.

I noticed in the 5 Star Audio video that they didn't use any kind of a pod on the front speakers. If all else fails I may just go without the pods.

Did the amp come with the wiring kit? I have looked all over and cannot find any info on it. First time installing an amp and sub. Bought everything you listed- excited to install it!

I installed the Audison Prima speakers today.
B36FFD66-C809-4CEB-A6F2-D1EAF6F38156.jpeg

Because the surround is low profile there is enough clearance between the speaker and the support piece. When I turned up the volume I didn’t even see the surround move. That was my biggest concern. I’m happy I didn’t have to modify the dash at all!
BDA5F89D-16E3-480C-8CB5-2EFE6229E0AA.jpeg

It’s hard to tell from this picture but there’s still about 1/4 inch of space between the surround and the support. I wasn’t really able to take Jeep for a ride to listen to them due to icey road conditions but they sounded pretty good in the garage!

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the Audison Prima 5 1/4 speakers. They have the lowest profile on the surround that I've seen. I'm hoping they don't require me to modify the Jeep at all.

I noticed in the 5 Star Audio video that they didn't use any kind of a pod on the front speakers. If all else fails I may just go without the pods.
You don’t really need pods , in fact if they are sealed and very little room behind magnet you’ll loose mid bass. I’d forget all about pods and get some foam or similar and put it around the sides of the speaker as if trying to make a ring around it. The objective is simply to funnel the sound through the grills. That’s it.

Hi, what speaker is that and how does it sound?

Thanks
That is an older Focal Polyglass woofer, not a coaxial speaker. I like it, but not as much as the Micro Precision 5.28 tweeters that play along with them.

I generally recommend the Kicker C and D series as fine replacements, next level up would be heading to the European brands. Very good quality for the prices paid.

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
What do you recommend as far as components or coaxials in the soundbar and/or dash?

I always ask what you are looking to accomplish before making that kind of suggestion. Will you be amplifying these speakers and what do you want to budget for them.

The Kicker C and D series are fine plug and play replacement to use with the stock head unit. You can either get 5.25" all around, or get 5.25" for the front dash, and 6.5" for the overhead pods, which will fit.

Next brands up that I recommend are BLAM's Relax series and Audiotec Fischer's Match series, both are under a $100 for each pair for speakers. Then after that I would recommend Audiotec Fischer's next level up, Helix, but you would need an amplifier for that.

These are a great speaker that do not need to be amplified, can be driven off the head unit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273557553743?campid=5337789113

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123080257637?campid=5337789113

As for components, well, you can create many awesome combinations, that will depend on the budget, but my favorite, and most bang for the buck audio upgrade for the TJ is changing the front set-up to components, and relocating the tweeters to the dash. It is great...but budget and time is needed.

Reactions: FarFire70
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.