Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I'm at a loss on the sub/amp plug. New speakers, sub (in OEM spot), mono amp for sub and Pioneer head unit. Is the plug (wired to radio, not sub side) now useless? For the rear speakers, am I required to rewire directly from pod speakers to new head unit?
Some articles mention it, but couldn't tell if it was done to replace lower quality OEM wiring or if its needed since the sub/amp plug has no partner.
Don't know if rear speakers are spliced into that sub plug and will work unplugged or need to bypass. Lol, stroke a few years back muddies some things that should be obvious. TIA

Assembled a jumper harness for the upcoming amp install
two factory stereo adapters and a roll of 9 wire quick cable
20210327_173705.jpg

Absolutely
Seriously, my wife is more into Jeeps than I am. I actually got my TJ from her when she bought her new JL. I personally like the TJ and my old Cherokee better as far as looks and fun to drive go. But that JL has heated seats, a power top, USB outlets...Oh, and some hefty payments...

Seriously, my wife is more into Jeeps than I am. I actually got my TJ from her when she bought her new JL. I personally like the TJ and my old Cherokee better as far as looks and fun to drive go. But that JL has heated seats, a power top, USB outlets...Oh, and some hefty payments...
My LJ has everything but the power top. Seriously like $75 in mods there. I wasn't impressed with my rental JL, at all.

Reactions: Terry Tiemeyer
My LJ has everything but the power top. Seriously like $75 in mods there. I wasn't impressed with my rental JL, at all.
Yeah, not sure how irritated she's gonna be when I put heated seats in the TJ. I don't have a need for any of the other stuff.

Reactions: Apparition
I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers in my sound pods while chasing down some audio issues. I figure I'll gently stuff them with polyfil while I'm in there.

Do I need to keep the polyfil away from the back of the overhead lights? Or is the heat from the bulbs not really an issue?

Has anyone mounted a powered slimline sub on the tailgate? I have the rear seat removed and since the only passengers back there are my 3 English Bulldogs putting it on the floor is not an option.

I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers in my sound pods while chasing down some audio issues. I figure I'll gently stuff them with polyfil while I'm in there.

Do I need to keep the polyfil away from the back of the overhead lights? Or is the heat from the bulbs not really an issue?
Don’t worry about polyfil won’t make any difference on the overheads...what will is lining the overhead pod with sound dreading even Dynomat etc. this make a HUGE difference.

Reactions: fuse
Don’t worry about polyfil won’t make any difference on the overheads...what will is lining the overhead pod with sound dreading even Dynomat etc. this make a HUGE difference.
I did both - sound mat *and* polyfill. I have no idea what it did, if anything. I had both, so in they both went!

Its probably the same stuff - I always have a pile of polyfill around as my wife uses it in the pincushions she makes and sells, and I use it in the bustle pillows I make and sell.
Cool! I've been looking for a bustle pillow to keep my hems from dragging. I'll PM you! 👍

I'm currently running:
That amp alone is around $1000 I believe, so there's a big part of the cost there.

There's also other bits and pieces, but that's the major stuff.
Chris,

I just hooked up a very solid system, but wondering how you optimized sound out of the dash speakers. I did the 5.25 adapter plates with a Nalin tweeter mount. I just can’t get quality sound out of the speakers even using polyfill and a JL 75x4 amp. The speakers are JL components so they should do well As they are overpowered with high quality amp.

Chris,

I just hooked up a very solid system, but wondering how you optimized sound out of the dash speakers. I did the 5.25 adapter plates with a Nalin tweeter mount. I just can’t get quality sound out of the speakers even using polyfill and a JL 75x4 amp. The speakers are JL components so they should do well As they are overpowered with high quality amp.
I ditched this sound system years ago in favor of something much better. Aside from tweeters, I’m using these for the dash speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T1AB28Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Spaztrick