Useless mods / snake oil

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Reading many good threads here and opinions from those in the know have changed my mind about several mods. that do not appear to be worth the time or effort. The first that comes to mind is a cold air intake along with an oiled filter like K&N. Someone published data showing the efficiency of various filter media that revealed the AC Delco A1618C filter to be superior to all. The next useless mod is a throttle body spacer followed by a lower temp. thermostat. I thank all who posted verifiable data to back their opinion as there is too much hype associated with many of these products. I might add that I fell for most of this on a previous Jeep and will not make the same mistakes. I have no problem spending money on a proven enhancement. .

Sounds like you've been doing your research!

Definitely don't waste your time on air intakes, oiled air filters (i.e. K&N), throttle body spacers, 4-hole fuel injectors, etc.

None of that bullshit works, it truly is snake oil. Remember, when it comes down to it, the 4.0 has more in common with a tractor engine than a Ferrari engine. These things don't respond well to most tuning methods (other than superchargers, turbos, internal engine work, etc.), as they simply aren't high performance engines to begin with.

Sounds like you've been doing your research!

Definitely don't waste your time on air intakes, oiled air filters (i.e. K&N), throttle body spacers, 4-hole fuel injectors, etc.

None of that bullshit works, it truly is snake oil. Remember, when it comes down to it, the 4.0 has more in common with a tractor engine than a Ferrari engine. These things don't respond well to most tuning methods (other than superchargers, turbos, internal engine work, etc.), as they simply aren't high performance engines to begin with.

Thanks. It is for these reasons I like this site. There are many good experienced people not afraid to share their knowledge. Good analogy comparing a tractor engine to a Ferrari engine. That I6 is almost a commercial utilitarian design. Interesting tid-bit I heard when the 'Cash For Clunkers' deal was being offered. As part of the deal the clunker engines had to be rendered forever in-op by adding some type of abrasive engine killing treatment. The I6's would not die. Don't know if that is true or not but they are bullet proof if properly maintained.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks. It is for these reasons I like this site. There are many good experienced people not afraid to share their knowledge. Good analogy comparing a tractor engine to a Ferrari engine. That I6 is almost a commercial utilitarian design. Interesting tid-bit I heard when the 'Cash For Clunkers' deal was being offered. As part of the deal the clunker engines had to be rendered forever in-op by adding some type of abrasive engine killing treatment. The I6's would not die. Don't know if that is true or not but they are bullet proof if properly maintained.

Haha, not sure if that’s true or not, but it wouldn’t surprise me!

It’s a very basic engine in terms of design. It’s been around since 1965 in some form or another, and it definitely shows. The nice thing of course is how reliable they are. One guy on the forum had one with 600k original miles that he had put on it. Never had to do any internal engine work other than typical routine maintenance.

I like this. It makes me feel good.

Therefore, I decree, your rumor as FACT.

Fun fact: The I6 engine survived government genocide.

The i6's did die. They put a silica resin in the engine. Some of them might have lasted longer than others, but they did kill them.

Cash for Clunkers drained the oil and poured a silica resin into the oil pan, then floored it. Different engines responded differently, but they all died. If you don't believe it, drain your oil, pour some silica resin in it, floor it and see what happens! 🤣

I don't suppose vehicles like this could have been donated to a charity, a needy family or some other use as opposed to destroying it? Once again, our government at work. That Jeep had plenty of life left.
Couldn't agree more. The government just didn't want those engines getting reused. They often really suck.

No, they died and with a quickness. Nothing survives running with sodium silicate in the oil pan replacing the oil.

Cash for Clunkers drained the oil and poured a silica resin into the oil pan, then floored it. Different engines responded differently, but they all died. If you don't believe it, drain your oil, pour some silica resin in it, floor it and see what happens! 🤣
Sodium silicate commonly referred to as water glass.

I bet that one lasted for 4min because he ran Slick50. Just adding to the thread theme. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I got $4000 trade for a chevy blazer that would not pass inspection, was rusted out, bent up hood , bad brakes, and would stall if you didn't go to neutral and rev it at stops.
It was headed for the junk yard, but I kept it legal when they started talking about cash for clunkers. It was a lawn ornament for months, then covered 1/4 the price of a new car.
Finally I was a direct recipient of government spending.

The sales guy almost ran it into the new car when he drove the blazer up to switch plates. A very concerned look on his face, and a bit of panic was apparent as the blazer gradually came to a halt.

Don