Viair 88p on ABS tray - have a couple questions

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
I've kept a Viair 88p in my trunk for years (along with a bunch of other stuff) but am trying to free up space and have seen that some put them on the ABS tray.

I finagled it in there between the fender and the brake booster yesterday to make sure it'd fit. It does, at somewhat of an angle. But I'm unsure of a few things.

Is it safe in there? It'll get hot, I know. But i'm on 31's and don't do rocks so I'm never gonna be stressing it and heating it too badly further by inflating all four from super low PSIs.

What's the best orientation? The power cable and inflator hose protrude from the same side opposite the heat sink. Should these be facing away from the engine or toward it?

My thought is to secure it with bungees to the many holes in the tray (the black rubber strap kind). Or maybe heavy zip ties would be better.

Anyone who's done this - care to share photos or details?

I had a Viair 480C on the ABS tray and didn't run into any issues with it. I don't see that I have any pictures of it, I had the piston towards the fender and the compressor sitting on its base.

I had mine bolted to the tray.

I replaced it with a dual ARB in the same location.

Last edited:
If it fits, you must bolt it in.
Screenshot_20240418_074122_Google.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: CMBD and Apparition
I have mine hard-mounted to the ABS tray but apparently I've never taken a photo of it. I bolted it down, I want to say I used at least one of the existing threaded holes in the tray.

I also hardwired the power to a relay controlled by a switch in the cab, and cut most of the hose off to plumb it to a manifold so it provides air for both my ARB and airing up my tires.

I'm not worried about the heat. It gets much hotter when airing up my 33s than it does just by being underhood. That heat is a big part of why I hardmounted it in the first place. Being buried where it is makes it basically impossible for anyone to accidentally burn themselves by touching the compressor head.

Reactions: t00th
So the 88P does well being permanently mounted underhood?

Or are your setups rigged to make it easy to remove at the end of the day?

I have an 88P in a canvas bag that I carry, but a permanent mount under the hood sounds pretty good.

For what its worth, here's my 450C install on the ABS tray:

https://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/forty-seven.htm

It was a fair pain in the ass...

HOWEVER - It looks like the cylinder head can be removed and bolted back on in any clocking orientation - I didn't figure that out until I had fought it into its final position - clocking it 90 degrees towards the front of the Jeep *MAY* (or may not!) make the installation easier. Maybe I wouldn't have had to place it diagonally like I did.

I take the precaution of raising the hood when using the compressor for an extended period of time if the engine has been running.

For what its worth, here's my 450C install on the ABS tray:

https://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/forty-seven.htm

It was a fair pain in the ass...

HOWEVER - It looks like the cylinder head can be removed and bolted back on in any clocking orientation - I didn't figure that out until I had fought it into its final position - clocking it 90 degrees towards the front of the Jeep *MAY* (or may not!) make the installation easier. Maybe I wouldn't have had to place it diagonally like I did.

I take the precaution of raising the hood when using the compressor for an extended period of time if the engine has been running.

I don’t believe you can clock the head on the Viair. Ask me how I know.

OK, since you asked…

I tried it, and it seemed to work, but if I recall correctly there was some kind of alignment issue with the valving or the piston and an indent in the head. This requires that the head can only be installed in one orientation. It was making noise, and when I pulled it apart - it had trashed the head.

I don’t believe you can clock the head on the Viair. Ask me how I know.

OK, since you asked…

I tried it, and it seemed to work, but if I recall correctly there was some kind of alignment issue with the valving or the piston and an indent in the head. This requires that the head can only be installed in one orientation. It was making noise, and when I pulled it apart - it had trashed the head.

Well, crap. So much for that idea.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
More or less exactly what I did. I removed the factory windshield washer pump and replaced it with a $20 generic Amazon one that got reinstalled on the ABS tray. Then built a bracket to hold both pumps and remount the horns. Still a surprising amount of room.

-Mac

So the 88P does well being permanently mounted underhood?

Or are your setups rigged to make it easy to remove at the end of the day?

I have an 88P in a canvas bag that I carry, but a permanent mount under the hood sounds pretty good.

So far so good, but I also view it as "if it dies, it dies". If it ever does give up the ghost I'll redo it with a Viair actually intended to be mounted.

Reactions: RangerTJ
I mounted mine in a similar manner as Mr Bills, I made a hanger that wraps around the brake booster for the coiled hose. I ran the wires across the firewall and clip them to the grill support, I just hook them to the battery when needed. I'll take a couple pics tomorrow.