VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Why was the KJ instrument cluster needed? I look forward to seeing how you graft it into the dash on the TJ. I've never looked at a diesel KJ so have no idea what the wiring/computer looks like. I'm interested in all this not because I'm looking to do the same swap but because I like this kind of thing.

Thanks for all you are doing and sharing on here plus what you are teaching these kids. It might be lost on some of them now but in years to come I'll bet it won't be.
Getting the Liberty cluster into the TJ dash is going to be one of our challenges....I know it's possible because I downloaded a photo of one from the internet that is installed in a TJ. Not sure yet if we're going to trim the case to fit in the tj dash...or if we're going to install the cluster guts into the tj cluster casing....stay tuned!
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement...while some students are more invested than others in this project....its a real learning experience for all of is...including me!!

How are you going to fit the liberty cluster in the TJ interior?
Not sure exactly....but we're going to make it happen! Found this photo from someone else who did the swap...so i know it is possible.

1002_4wd_04+2006_jeep_wrangler_tj_unlimited+gauge_cluster.jpg

Getting the Liberty cluster into the TJ dash is going to be one of our challenges....I know it's possible because I downloaded a photo of one from the internet that is installed in a TJ. Not sure yet if we're going to trim the case to fit in the tj dash...or if we're going to install the cluster guts into the tj cluster casing....stay tuned!
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement...while some students are more invested than others in this project....its a real learning experience for all of is...including me!!
We have to use the Liberty cluster because the Liberty and TJ use different communication protocols....simply put...they speak different languages...so cant use tj cluster...this thing is kinda going to be a jeep liberty disguised as a jeep tj by the time we're done..

Not sure exactly....but we're going to make it happen! Found this photo from someone else who did the swap...so i know it is possible.

View attachment 88385

As an owner of both a 2006 Liberty CRD and a 2006 Wrangler that is an AWESOME photo! But Looking at it, isn't that the Liberty Steering Wheel as well? Did they swap the column into also?

Great looking stuff! That is going to be a SICK TJ! Also which I don't think many people realize is that the CRD automatic is a 5 speed not a 4 speed automatic and the transfer case on the CRD has both part time AND all time 4 wheel drive! So you get into snow or really bad rain, just put the transfer case into part time 4 wheel drive and keep the speed below 55mph!

Not going to lie, I love my Kubota Diesel Wrangler I'm building, but this setup is something I've dreamed about doing!

Keep the updates coming!

-Grant

As an owner of both a 2006 Liberty CRD and a 2006 Wrangler that is an AWESOME photo! But Looking at it, isn't that the Liberty Steering Wheel as well? Did they swap the column into also?

Great looking stuff! That is going to be a SICK TJ! Also which I don't think many people realize is that the CRD automatic is a 5 speed not a 4 speed automatic and the transfer case on the CRD has both part time AND all time 4 wheel drive! So you get into snow or really bad rain, just put the transfer case into part time 4 wheel drive and keep the speed below 55mph!

Not going to lie, I love my Kubota Diesel Wrangler I'm building, but this setup is something I've dreamed about doing!

Keep the updates coming!

-Grant
Yes it is a Liberty steering wheel...which we will be using as well.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Students installed the fuel tank today and machine shop student finished machining the other unit bearing spacer....left unit bearing goes in tomorrow....will be good to see two front wheels on the ground. Tub gets painted tomorrow and I should have it out at the school on Monday morning...same with the rear axle.

20190425_144450.jpg

20190425_144520.jpg

20190425_144500.jpg

Last edited:
Students installed the fuel tank today and machine shop student finished machining the other unit bearing spacer....left unit bearing goes in tomorrow....will be good to see two front wheels on the ground. Tub gets painted tomorrow and I should have it out at the school on Monday morning...same with the rear axle.

View attachment 90212

View attachment 90213

View attachment 90214
You should really replace that fuel filler neck. Pretty crusty, and its REALLY accessible right now!

That looks so good. I know you're committed with the body mounts, but I always wonder if using the urethane bushings was the best idea on my build. There's a bit of vibration at idle and I wonder if it would be isolated better with a nice rubber. It's nit picky and isn't an issue for me considering how the Jeep felt before, but for those that are used to very smooth driving experiences, I'm not sure they'd understand some vibration from a typical diesel engine.

That looks so good. I know you're committed with the body mounts, but I always wonder if using the urethane bushings was the best idea on my build. There's a bit of vibration at idle and I wonder if it would be isolated better with a nice rubber. It's nit picky and isn't an issue for me considering how the Jeep felt before, but for those that are used to very smooth driving experiences, I'm not sure they'd understand some vibration from a typical diesel engine.
I sat on the fence for a while...deciding what type of mounts to get....but you're right about the diesel....there will definitely be some perceptible vibration....but just like the noise the engine is going to make....I'm going to love it! Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments!

Honestly and I know it's kinda petty and realize I'm joking, but I kinda hate how the modern diesels are so quiet and not as cranky as their ancestors. If I hear a turbo on a Jeep, I'm like a dog that senses something, I'm heading that way to check it out especially a diesel and no one seems to notice that there's anything different at all. It only kind of sounds like a diesel from about 1k to 1,500 rpms and just barely and then to me the turbo is obviously a turbo, but quiet.

I'm loving these builds on the TJ forum. I have to admit the VM 2.8 seemed like a great build to me, but I was too scared to tackle the electrical part. The TDI build I looked at doing the electrical and that kept me from just diving into that build when I first got the Jeep. My preference is as much displacement for a diesel as possible, as long as the weight is considered. 3L and just below seem to be where it's at for general purpose on and off-road sub half ton vehicles. I'm sure 1.9 is plenty as well, but there's times where your turbo isn't spooled that more displacement is probably better. I guess gearing can compensate, but gearing can be unforgiving. Also about 300 ft lbs of output from the engine of a TJ is something every TJ owner should feel.

Agreed on this as well! I looked at various mounts for not just my body but also my engine, transmission and transfer case mounts (I have a transfer case mount for the doubler setup) and decided that even though I like the rumble and sound of a diesel, I still want my wife and kids to want to take the Wrangler out so I'm trying to isolate the vibration as much as possible!

Still a FANTASTIC looking build, I'm still debating if I should tear apart my Liberty CRD for a 4 JK build in the future. I love my Liberty but parts, outside of the engine, are becoming more expensive and difficult to find, so I've been debating about swapping the entire drivetrain into a JK at somepoint!

I can't wait to see the final result! Looking great and keep up the awesome work! Tell your students they are doing a great job!

-Grant

Honestly and I know it's kinda petty and realize I'm joking, but I kinda hate how the modern diesels are so quiet and not as cranky as their ancestors. If I hear a turbo on a Jeep, I'm like a dog that senses something, I'm heading that way to check it out especially a diesel and no one seems to notice that there's anything different at all. It only kind of sounds like a diesel from about 1k to 1,500 rpms and just barely and then to me the turbo is obviously a turbo, but quiet.

I'm loving these builds on the TJ forum. I have to admit the VM 2.8 seemed like a great build to me, but I was too scared to tackle the electrical part. The TDI build I looked at doing the electrical and that kept me from just diving into that build when I first got the Jeep. My preference is as much displacement for a diesel as possible, as long as the weight is considered. 3L and just below seem to be where it's at for general purpose on and off-road sub half ton vehicles. I'm sure 1.9 is plenty as well, but there's times where your turbo isn't spooled that more displacement is probably better. I guess gearing can compensate, but gearing can be unforgiving. Also about 300 ft lbs of output from the engine of a TJ is something every TJ owner should feel.

Agreed on this as well! I really did a lot of research on diesel engines before I ended up with the Kubota. I don't think the Kubota swap is for everyone honestly, I think 33" tires and smaller the Kubota is a good choice, but after that, plus if you need emission, the R2.8 or the TDI swaps become VERY attractive. I had a TDI Golf and that motor spools insanely fast, and makes great power as well, but the wiring would be job to tackle!

I really wish the R2.8 wasn't so expensive though, I know it's priced fairly, but the adapters etc are really expensive as well.

-Grant

Reactions: Mike Alfano
Agreed on this as well! I really did a lot of research on diesel engines before I ended up with the Kubota. I don't think the Kubota swap is for everyone honestly, I think 33" tires and smaller the Kubota is a good choice, but after that, plus if you need emission, the R2.8 or the TDI swaps become VERY attractive. I had a TDI Golf and that motor spools insanely fast, and makes great power as well, but the wiring would be job to tackle!

I really wish the R2.8 wasn't so expensive though, I know it's priced fairly, but the adapters etc are really expensive as well.

-Grant

What'll screw you probably in the JKU and the R2.8 will be AC from what I could guess. The VM may be a great option because it doesn't look as wide. The main advantage I see with the R2.8 is that the wiring is simple and it's brand new. I don't know the JKs very well so I'm speaking out of my butt for sure, but I imagine, if you took your time, which wouldn't be hard since you'll have a great Jeep or 2 to drive in the meantime, you could do either engine for relatively cheap ie less than a JLU or something.

I would think you could find a JKU with a messed up 3.8 pretty easy and I don't see many wanting to replace that 3.8 with a 3.8 so I wonder if the value will drop out for those years. The 3.6 Pentastar seems to be a pretty good engine for what it is and seems to be used in everything.