Weight difference between aluminum and steel control arms

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
When comparing the same flex joint configurations, what is the weight difference between aluminum and steel control arms? Some assbite is making claims about the significant weight savings by converting to aluminum and I'm not buying it being anywhere near significant.

I bet for short arms it makes zero difference one way or the other. They are so short, any weight savings would be negligible and not long enough to really bend. But start getting into longer and thicker arms and the aluminum will start to save some weight and not permanently deform.

Reactions: toximus and Irun
When comparing the same flex joint configurations, what is the weight difference between aluminum and steel control arms? Some assbite is making claims about the significant weight savings by converting to aluminum and I'm not buying it being anywhere near significant.

That isn't a hard one to figure out if you know a few things. The most common material used for steel lower arms is 2" x .250 wall.
It weighs 4.673 pounds per foot.
2" aluminum round bar weighs 3.69 ppf.
The difference is aluminum weighs just under a pound less per foot so you're saving 3 pounds roughly for a 36" lower arm. The average person won't be able to tell the difference by picking them up.

The rest has too many variables to answer accurately. It is very possible the Savvy lower short arms weigh more than the same versions in steel from Currie due to smaller tube in steel versus larger solid in aluminum.

I have Savvy CA's, nothing seemed overly light. The summary version of Blaine's details...to me at least, is there isn't enough volume difference to a ppf to make a difference. I'd bet a set or arms they can cut more weight in that Jeep with a Keto diet for a month than caring about these. I know after 3 1/2 day weekend in New Orleans....I can for sure.

He's bought in to the Ford F150 marketing...and that's the entire aluminum body etc, not comparable.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
All eight savvy control arms weighed in at 56lbs ( shipping weight) I plan on weighing my mix of factory and aftermarket arms I have on right now to compare.

Factory are light. Surprisingly light from what I remember when I put savvy aluminum on. Really simple design that allows for twisting without being bulky.

As Blaine said, aluminum control arms for our Jeep available today probably weigh more than Rockjock. I think you can get Rokmen arms that weigh more but overall it's silly when the two most popular arms, Savvy and Rockjock, are close with the steel arms possibly a bit lighter. I think it's fair to say there are no significant savings either way.