What are the best fuel injectors?

naystcb

When I got my Jeep close to three years ago I decided to go crazy and replace everything on it to make it last as long as possible and run great! Unfortunately, that ended up being a big mistake that I have paid for very deeply as far as my pockets are concerned. One of the mistakes I made was replacing the fuel injectors with some standard ones from Autozone made by Duralast. Ever since that day I have had random misfire codes all the way from P0300-P0306! For the past two years I have been chasing these misfires and have replaced every sensor on my Jeep, I have replaced the entire ignition system, I have replaced the spark plugs multiple times, I have replaced the fuel module twice even though the pressure was good, I have replaced the vacuum lines, I have replaced the valve springs, I have replaced the harmonic balancer, you name it and I've done it! I was convinced that it couldn't be the injectors I put in because the resistance on all of them is good but now I am finally flat broke(literally) and jobless and need this Jeep to run right so I can sell it and hopefully eat soon! I never thought that perhaps the spray coming out of the injectors could be the issue but I am inclined to believe that this is the cause of the misfires! Can anyone recommend a set of injectors that are top quality and will provide a good enough spray that will hopefully get rid of these misfires?

Your biggest mistake was replacing critical Mopar parts with store-brand aftermarket parts. Not to mention from the worst of the worst for after market storebrand auto parts, Autozone. I might use AutoZone floormats but that's it.

Especially stay with Mopar whenever possible for critical things like fuel injectors, fuel pumps, water pumps, starter motors, radiators, and alternators. I use plenty of aftermarket parts on my TJ but not in those areas.

If you by chance still have your Mopar fuel injectors, I would reinstall them... you don't get better quality than them. And you won't get better performance with aftermarket... the engine computer fixes the amount of fuel that is sprayed, not the fuel injectors. If you don't have the original Mopar injectors, I'd get a replacement set of Mopars.

Likely sources are www.wermopar.com and www.amazon.com. Or since you didn't include your model year & which engine you have, if you'll provide that information I can help provide you with a couple sources of discounted Mopar fuel injectors.

Last edited:
Jerry hit the nail on the head.

As much as most guys don't want to hear it, the quality of autozone parts is horrible, seriously. I would never, ever replace any critical engine component with anything other than OE Mopar parts.

Sure, that's not to say that you'll always have an issue with autozone parts (more often than not you won't), but I would avoid it as best I could. Their parts are bottom of the barrel Chinese knockoffs. That's why they are so cheap.

Reactions: TJBritt and Frank
Get in the zone, AutoZone!:D

Agree with the above. Auto part stores aren't what they once were. They sell mostly foreign made crap that is not meant to last.

Reactions: Chris
There are benefits of using factory/dealer parts. I restored a totaled 2000 TJ and used nothing but dealer parts: fenders, hood, suspension parts, etc. I really got to know and became friends with the sales people. I never had to pay full price after that. When passing thru Salt Lake I still stop and say hi and maybe buy a small part. Ya know just to keep the rails greased:D

Reactions: Web98
There is another option but I don't have first hand experience. There are injection shops that can clean, test, and match flow rates on your own injectors. This is from a shop up in my area; www.precisionlinefuelinjectors.com

"When we get a set of injectors in our workshop to clean, Tom removes all the old O rings, Filter screens and Ultrasonically cleans the injectors. They are attached to a harness that pulsates the pintle while the Ultrasound flushes the varnish and debris up and out of each injector. Our patented Bioclean Fluid in the Ultrasonic Bath Turns from light blue to Black with all the impurities that are removed during this process.
Tom then replaces the components with brand new parts, places the injectors on the test rail and attached to the harness watches the spray patterns and flow to make sure each injector is flowing to manufacturers' standards.
The test tubes should be even all along for best fuel economy, less emissions and better driveability. Your onboard automotive computer will read these injectors as perfect and adjust the fuel metering accordingly thus saving you gasoline.
If one of your injectors has a "weak spring" it will show up in this stage of the testing and we can replace it with one of our remanufactured "Precisionline Fuel Injectors"."

I would think there would be similar places in the U.S. I believe this shop charges $30/injector.

There are benefits of using factory/dealer parts. I restored a totaled 2000 TJ and used nothing but dealer parts: fenders, hood, suspension parts, etc. I really got to know and became friends with the sales people. I never had to pay full price after that. When passing thru Salt Lake I still stop and say hi and maybe buy a small part. Ya know just to keep the rails greased:D

Go to a Canadian dealer and there's only one thing that gets greased :eek:

6506033AA Control Arm bolt 14mm
Moparpartsgiant on-line U.S. $5.60
Mopar on-line Canada $11.69
Price I was quoted yesterday at my local dealer $16.50 (not in stock of course)​

Yeah, our dollar is a little weak right now but it's still double.

There is another option but I don't have first hand experience. There are injection shops that can clean, test, and match flow rates on your own injectors. This is from a shop up in my area; www.precisionlinefuelinjectors.com

"When we get a set of injectors in our workshop to clean, Tom removes all the old O rings, Filter screens and Ultrasonically cleans the injectors. They are attached to a harness that pulsates the pintle while the Ultrasound flushes the varnish and debris up and out of each injector. Our patented Bioclean Fluid in the Ultrasonic Bath Turns from light blue to Black with all the impurities that are removed during this process.
Tom then replaces the components with brand new parts, places the injectors on the test rail and attached to the harness watches the spray patterns and flow to make sure each injector is flowing to manufacturers' standards.
The test tubes should be even all along for best fuel economy, less emissions and better driveability. Your onboard automotive computer will read these injectors as perfect and adjust the fuel metering accordingly thus saving you gasoline.
If one of your injectors has a "weak spring" it will show up in this stage of the testing and we can replace it with one of our remanufactured "Precisionline Fuel Injectors"."

I would think there would be similar places in the U.S. I believe this shop charges $30/injector.
My personal opinion is that service is totally unneeded and does nothing that is needed, required, or useful 99.99% of the time. Dirty fuel injectors are extremely rare in the US/Canada nowadays as opposed to the 60's, 70's, and maybe even the 80's before all of the major brand gasolines started adding sufficient fuel injection system cleaning additives. Back then, and I remember this, you had to clean the injectors. Not now.

Reactions: Stinger
My personal opinion is that service is totally unneeded and does nothing that is needed, required, or useful 99.99% of the time. Dirty fuel injectors are extremely rare in the US/Canada nowadays as opposed to the 60's, 70's, and maybe even the 80's before all of the major brand gasolines started adding sufficient fuel injection system cleaning additives. Back then, and I remember this, you had to clean the injectors. Not now.

You're probably right. If you want peace of mind, you can make sure your local gas retailer is on this list;

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Your biggest mistake was replacing critical Mopar parts with store-brand aftermarket parts. Not to mention from the worst of the worst for after market storebrand auto parts, Autozone. I might use AutoZone floormats but that's it.

Especially stay with Mopar whenever possible for critical things like fuel injectors, fuel pumps, water pumps, starter motors, radiators, and alternators. I use plenty of aftermarket parts on my TJ but not in those areas.

If you by chance still have your Mopar fuel injectors, I would reinstall them... you don't get better quality than them. And you won't get better performance with aftermarket... the engine computer fixes the amount of fuel that is sprayed, not the fuel injectors. If you don't have the original Mopar injectors, I'd get a replacement set of Mopars.

Likely sources are www.wermopar.com and www.amazon.com. Or since you didn't include your model year & which engine you have, if you'll provide that information I can help provide you with a couple sources of discounted Mopar fuel injectors.
My Jeep is a 1997 Wrangler Sport 4.0

My Jeep is a 1997 Wrangler Sport 4.0

Here's a damn good deal on a set of factory Mopar remanufactured fuel injectors:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=201395422501

If it was me, that's what I would get. I looked and the price of a brand new one is $62 per injector (and that's the cheapest I could find them from wermopar.com). However, a remanufactured one should be just as good as a new one, especially since they're from a quality manufacturer (Bosch).

Reactions: JoeTheCarGuy
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
So far as my experience with TJs over the past 20 years goes, I've yet to see where new or replacement injectors ever cured any problem. Lots of times bad injectors have been suspected but I don't recall a single (!) instance of the poster ever coming back to say new injectors fixed the problem at hand. There was always a different unrelated fix for the problem. :)

Reactions: mikespine
Well, if it was me I'd probably replace those AutoZone / Duralast injectors with some factory OE ones. I don't know if that would fix anything, but I just can't bring myself to trust electronics from AutoZone. Anytime I've use one of their sensors, I eventually ended up having issues with it.

Here's a damn good deal on a set of factory Mopar remanufactured fuel injectors:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=201395422501

If it was me, that's what I would get. I looked and the price of a brand new one is $62 per injector (and that's the cheapest I could find them from wermopar.com). However, a remanufactured one should be just as good as a new one, especially since they're from a quality manufacturer (Bosch).
Thanks for this link, I had seen some of these sets on eBay and wasn't sure if it was worth buying but I suppose it can't hurt. I had my doubts when the misfires started happening as to whether or not it was the injectors but seeing as how the misfires started very soon after the new injectors were put in and also that I have tried every other possible remedy I'm fairly confident that it is to be the cheap injectors. Those brand new Mopar ones that go for $62 each say they are improved multi-port injectors which is interesting seeing as how I've see other posts that have said that multi-port injectors don't make a difference but yet Mopar somehow decided there was a need to replace the original OEM injectors with a part number and injectors that superseded the original and are now multi-ported.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks for this link, I had seen some of these sets on eBay and wasn't sure if it was worth buying but I suppose it can't hurt. I had my doubts when the misfires started happening as to whether or not it was the injectors but seeing as how the misfires started very soon after the new injectors were put in and also that I have tried every other possible remedy I'm fairly confident that it is to be the cheap injectors. Those brand new Mopar ones that go for $62 each say they are improved multi-port injectors which is interesting seeing as how I've see other posts that have said that multi-port injectors don't make a difference but yet Mopar somehow decided there was a need to replace the original OEM injectors with a part number and injectors that superseded the original and are now multi-ported.

Injectors are probably the last thing I would suspect on any vehicle that had under 200k miles on it. The most that injectors ever seem to need is a good cleaning. However, in your case, given that the issues started arising after you replaced the injectors, that really has me thinking that they could be the culprit. Like I said, I've had issues with various other electronic sensors I used from AutoZone in the past. That being said, it stands to reason that there could be an issue with one of the injectors.

For the price of those ones on eBay, it's worth testing this theory out.

I know a lot of guys who swap in the Dodge Neon injectors that have the 4 port spray nozzles. A lot of guys on different forums claim that it makes a noticeable difference, but I think that's all in their minds. I swapped out the injectors on my 4.0 Cherokee XJ for the Dodge Neon ones, and I noticed no difference whatsoever.

The mind is a powerful thing, and so is the placebo effect. I think if someone wants to believe that their new and improved injectors made a difference, their mind will make them believe it.

If Mopar is using new and improved injectors as a replacement, maybe there's more to it than I know. Or, perhaps they just phased out the older injectors and replaced them with an injector that cross references with more Jeep / Chrysler / Dodge models. That would save them money no doubt.

Mopar is not the OE manufacturer for its fuel injectors. Their fuel injector manufacturers (they have more than one) are always trying to get one leg up over the competition by coming up with new designs they offer at a very if not more competitive price. New designs in things like fuel injectors are seldom driven by Jeep engineering, more often it comes from the vendors who manufacturer and sell them to Jeep.

Reactions: mikespine
Mopar is not the OE manufacturer for its fuel injectors. Their fuel injector manufacturers (they have more than one) are always trying to get one leg up over the competition by coming up with new designs they offer at a very if not more competitive price. New designs in things like fuel injectors are seldom driven by Jeep engineering, more often it comes from the vendors who manufacturer and sell them to Jeep.

I didn't realize that. I thought the OE injectors were made by Bosch (since so many vehicles seem to use Bosch injectors). I had no idea that Mopar manufactured their own.

I have to imagine a Bosch (or any OE injector, even if it's from a Dodge Neon) injector would be better than any injector from AutoZone.

I didn't realize that. I thought the OE injectors were made by Bosch (since so many vehicles seem to use Bosch injectors). I had no idea that Mopar manufactured their own.
Re-read what I said, I said Mopar is not the OE manufacturer of the fuel injectors. Bosch is a primary OEM for them but Mopar has other backup vendors should Bosch have any delivery issues that would affect their JIT (just-in-time parts deliveries) assembly lines. :)

Re-read what I said, I said Mopar is not the OE manufacturer of the fuel injectors. Bosch is a primary OEM for them but Mopar has other backup vendors should Bosch have any delivery issues that would affect their JIT (just-in-time parts deliveries) assembly lines. :)

Oh, I misread what you wrote, my bad.

What you're saying makes complete sense.

I'd be comfortable having any OEM injector. I just don't trust a Duralast injector :D

Reactions: Jerry Bransford