What brand of lunchbox locker is this?

ShaneMK

My TJ isn’t original to me. I’m rebuilding the diff and it had a lunchbox locker and I was just trying to identify what brand it was so I could contact them to order new springs. The ratcheting gears all appear in great condition, little to no wear but a few of the springs look like they snapped.
Any help would be great, photos are attached to the post.

923650AB-953D-4C00-8C05-50093FD8D303.jpeg

278481B6-B0BE-4A2C-85E9-E2EC52A2A0E7.jpeg

95109E0B-B98A-4B2A-A6AB-6CBA955C3980.jpeg

EE3BB0AD-C89D-4E84-8127-E9AF85104194.jpeg

555D0539-2C67-4BCD-8EBF-92AC36FC07FA.jpeg

der ya go
Hey thanks for the link but it’s not right, that’s all I could pull up too but that’s for a Dana 30 and mines for a Dana 35 and that one is shaped different. I’ll send a pic of what it looks like partially assembled.
So there’s 8 springs that “hold” the main pin in and they should all be the same length (I believe they should be the same length because look how sharp the ends are on the shorter ones almost looks as if it’s broken off shorter)

8D30A802-C6A6-437D-BA16-C24A80D41D50.jpeg

D859B8F2-BF46-4E28-9FAF-06971E860F69.jpeg

C8D20C5F-3A76-4E43-9756-DB704EAA8C3C.jpeg

76E078F0-94A6-461F-BE7F-7BA1ED9E1D87.jpeg

55E4E2BC-61F6-4ED3-B9D7-F9DF49E9454C.jpeg

EE0E8386-F0CF-47CE-B657-6D93DC3AB265.jpeg

19770F42-91AB-4195-8B7B-2EEAACA649DA.jpeg

Hey thanks for the link but it’s not right, that’s all I could pull up too but that’s for a Dana 30 and mines for a Dana 35 and that one is shaped different. I’ll send a pic of what it looks like partially assembled.
So there’s 8 springs that “hold” the main pin in and they should all be the same length (I believe they should be the same length because look how sharp the ends are on the shorter ones almost looks as if it’s broken off shorter)

View attachment 261449

View attachment 261450

View attachment 261451

View attachment 261452

View attachment 261453

View attachment 261454

View attachment 261455
I would say possibly I could contact another company and get their springs but no company seems to sell a lunchbox locker with those springs around that main pin. This seems to be a different lunchbox locker design than others on the market.

If anyone could identify this lunchbox locker it would help me a ton. Really trying to stay on budget with this rebuild and I’m trying to stay away from buying a new locker when this one is fine besides those springs.

If that one is in your REAR Dana 35, you might reconsider it. A lunchbox is generally not recommended for the rear diff. for on road use.
Your front axle should be a Dana 30. In the front is where a lunchbox really shines. On road, in 2X4, you won't notice it, except for some noise. Off road, in 4X4 it will lock up as needed to pull you through the rough stuff.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If that one is in your REAR Dana 35, you might reconsider it. A lunchbox is generally not recommended for the rear diff. for on road use.
X2, I forgot to ask the OP @ShaneMK if his Dana 35 is stock or not. If it's still running OE size 27 spline shafts they are ticking time bombs with that locker installed into it.

X2, I forgot to ask the OP @ShaneMK if his Dana 35 is stock or not. If it's still running OE size 27 spline shafts they are ticking time bombs with that locker installed into it.
Yeah I couldn’t get anything to pull up either with the numbers I searched. As of right now I’m putting 4.88 gears (bought the jeep with a slight diff issue, but it made 2 years with me driving it hard on and off road). The previous owner was the original and I’m not exactly sure everything he had done to it over the years but at one point he put that locker in. I never personally had an issue with the locker but could have been what caused the drivers side carrier bearing to completely shred itself? I believe the axles are the stock ones, but I don’t see any markings on them to be 100% but they are indeed 27 spline.

What does the rear locker have a tendency to do? Snap axle shafts I’m guessing, but if it is only that then with the TERRIBLE amount of on road and off road abuse I’ve put her through hasn’t caused one of them to snap (yet)

What does the rear locker have a tendency to do? Snap axle shafts I’m guessing, but if it is only that then with the TERRIBLE amount of on road and off road abuse I’ve put her through hasn’t caused one of them to snap (yet)
Having a rear locker can exactly double the torque/stress seen by a single axle shaft. The factory Dana 35 axle shafts are known to snap if you either install a locker into the axle or install 35" tires.

This happened to a friend of mine while we were wheeling. I had no idea she was driving with a Dana 35 or I'd have had her riding with me that day.

She's only smiling there because we had just completed replacing her broken axle shaft with one delivered from about 100 miles away.

Marianne640x480.jpg

Yeah I couldn’t get anything to pull up either with the numbers I searched. As of right now I’m putting 4.88 gears (bought the jeep with a slight diff issue, but it made 2 years with me driving it hard on and off road). The previous owner was the original and I’m not exactly sure everything he had done to it over the years but at one point he put that locker in. I never personally had an issue with the locker but could have been what caused the drivers side carrier bearing to completely shred itself? I believe the axles are the stock ones, but I don’t see any markings on them to be 100% but they are indeed 27 spline.

When the rear is locked, both axles turn at the same speed. The reason that this is Bad is because during a turn, they travel different distances: The outer wheel has to go further than the inner. With a locked diff, this puts a LOT of strain on the components, and eventually something WILL break.
It's not as much of a problem in the dirt, because there can be some slippage. On pavement, there isn't.

When the rear is locked, both axles turn at the same speed. The reason that this is Bad is because during a turn, they travel different distances: The outer wheel has to go further than the inner. With a locked diff, this puts a LOT of strain on the components, and eventually something WILL break.
It's not as much of a problem in the dirt, because there can be some slippage. On pavement, there isn't.
Automatic lockers the OP's lunchbox (plus Detroit Lockers etc.) automatically unlock the outer wheel during a turn so it is free to rotate faster than the inner wheel. The issue that caused her breakage was when one of her rear tires was in the air and the other one on the rock was then receiving 100% of the torque instead of it being divided between the sides. That 100% of available torque the busted shaft received was what broke it.

Selectable lockers and "Lincoln Lockers" don't allow the outer wheel to rotate faster than the inner wheel so turns can stress them but that's not what usually breaks their axle shafts. What breaks their axle shafts is what happened to Marianne's above.

I think I would do an inspection of both rear axle shafts to see if the splines appear to have a slight twist in them.
Generally that is the first sign of an impending axle snap....

Its A Powertrax lock rite locker made by Richmond Gear. You can see their double diamond trademark stamped into the parts.
Thank you so much! That helps a ton I’ll contact them and see if I could get those springs from them.

Yeah yeah I knew about that but the lunchbox locker is supposed to disengage when turning but I’m sure sometimes it doesn't. Well I’ve experienced many times when it doesn't (usually only when I’m sending it really hard and I try to take a quick turn, yes on pavement) but I inspected the axle shafts and there dosent appear to be any twisting of the splines at all.