What can you see that went wrong in this video (trail accident)

She had ZERO front brakes. Wanna guess why, its in the video.
Hmm…I heard her say “the brakes are floored.” Rears were locked. Fronts nothing. The total brake is therefore pretty much nothing. Don’t know why.

Edit: My only guess is they didn’t get extended brake lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: hear and AMS417
extended brake lines, I thought as much.... its always the small things

Exactly, full droop with lift springs and stock brakes lines. Pulled the driver line apart and it lost the front circuit. Rear brakes only and not in 4x4 so just dragging the rears and picking us speed down the hill.
A good teachable moment.
Lots of things here to learn from.

Exactly, full droop with lift springs and stock brakes lines. Pulled the driver line apart and it lost the front circuit. Rear brakes only and not in 4x4 so just dragging the rears and picking us speed down the hill.

Lots of things here to learn from.
A) always stay in 4wd. I know some people say I don’t use it till I need it, but here’s a good example why that’s dumb. B) use the gearing, not the brakes. C) Extended brake lines

A) always stay in 4wd. I know some people say I don’t use it till I need it, but here’s a good example why that’s dumb. B) use the gearing, not the brakes. C) Extended brake lines

Being in 4LO could have possibly prevented this, or at least lessened it. Rear brakes would have slowed the vehicle if mechanically connected to the front wheels. Add to that the engine braking and it might have slowed it enough to stop on the curve in the trail. Having extended brake lines would have 100% prevented this.

My takeaways:

1. Do not exit the vehicle while it is in motion, especially if you are the driver.
2. Wear your seat belt / harness at all times.
3. Use 4Lo and engine braking to maintain a controlled speed / descent.
4. Do not modify your vehicle without understanding the needed supporting mods. (Major cause of this accident)
5. Air down for added traction.
6. Don't wheel alone. (They came with a group but got left behind)

At the end of the day glad we could help recover the Jeep and get them home safe.

sad situation all around. Glad everyone is OK. This looks like someone got over their heads...and if I'm them...I'm pretty pissed at the group I came with. Agree 100% with what @AMS417 said right before. Even 4 high (which you can shift into on the fly) would have helped regain some control of the vehicle. I can't believe she bailed like that.

Also...she had it stopped, right before it went south. She said the pedal is on the floor. WTH did she keep going?

Reactions: AMS417
You haven't really lived until you hear a jeep crashing through trees more or less directly above your current position. We were all watching some people try to go up the opposite incline and heard this ruckus behind/above us...pretty crazy. Talk about unprepared for the environment. I didn't even notice they weren't aired down, but I did hear them say they were in 4-HI. She said they planned to do 1's & 2's all day, but decided to take that steep downhill 5 as a shortcut to get to the main trail, they had no business being where they were.

I realize there was probably a shock factor, but she was convinced she did the right thing by bailing (which was only possible because she was not buckled), because "she's from the NE and knew those were soft woods and her jeep was going to go right through them" although the trees absolutely did stop the jeep, which is why we needed to recover it halfway up the hill. But it runs in the family, because her boyfriend wanted to steer the thing down the hill by standing outside the jeep.

Props to AMS417 for getting up that hill so quickly to assess the situation. We had two firemen/EMTs in our group including Troy, the guy in the Sami who pulled her out. Troy was halfway up the opposite hill when it happened, we called him down assuming she was going to need medical attention.

But my favorite thing was the stupid razr that had to go up that hill the second you got her down, while we were still up there cleaning up. Like dude, you can see we're up here with bright yellow tow straps etc, maybe wait a minute?

@AMS417 - somebody had said the brake line was corroded, did you actually see that corrosion? I would like to know where it actually broke at.

@AMS417 - somebody had said the brake line was corroded, did you actually see that corrosion? I would like to know where it actually broke at.
Little corroded, broke right where it goes from steel to flex. It was stock length and got pulled just enough.

We were able to get a stock flex line and the joint came apart pretty easy to replace it. Do not think corrosion was the issue or it would have been a lot harder to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: hear
You haven't really lived until you hear a jeep crashing through trees more or less directly above your current position. We were all watching some people try to go up the opposite incline and heard this ruckus behind/above us...pretty crazy. Talk about unprepared for the environment. I didn't even notice they weren't aired down, but I did hear them say they were in 4-HI. She said they planned to do 1's & 2's all day, but decided to take that steep downhill 5 as a shortcut to get to the main trail, they had no business being where they were.

I realize there was probably a shock factor, but she was convinced she did the right thing by bailing (which was only possible because she was not buckled), because "she's from the NE and knew those were soft woods and her jeep was going to go right through them" although the trees absolutely did stop the jeep, which is why we needed to recover it halfway up the hill. But it runs in the family, because her boyfriend wanted to steer the thing down the hill by standing outside the jeep.

Props to AMS417 for getting up that hill so quickly to assess the situation. We had two firemen/EMTs in our group including Troy, the guy in the Sami who pulled her out. Troy was halfway up the opposite hill when it happened, we called him down assuming she was going to need medical attention.

But my favorite thing was the stupid razr that had to go up that hill the second you got her down, while we were still up there cleaning up. Like dude, you can see we're up here with bright yellow tow straps etc, maybe wait a minute?

Yeah she was adamant that bailing was the thing to do. She also had some post accident PTSD. Glad I found her wallet though, lots of important bits in there. I don't think it was in 4HI, from the video seems very unlikely.

The SXS guys are a different breed, maybe even a crossbreed. Park was full of them too.

Sucks we didn't get a chance to meet up later on, hope you guys had fun at the park.

• Haha
Reactions: hear
Whole lotta stupid there. I can't see the break lines but it's obviously not in 4wd. Should have been 4low and she would've been fine even without the front breaks (still stupid to try like that).
Bailing was dumb but worked out OK for her I guess. I'd give these idiots a wide birth.

I'd give these idiots a wide birth.

Hard to do when they practically fall from the sky like this one did. We do our best to help people, even if they make poor choices. Hoping they learn something at the end of the day. Sometimes learning can painful.

• USA Proud
  • Haha
Reactions: WSS and hear