What did you do to your other vehicle today?

I've done some fabrication work for a French engineering company... talk about ridiculous. Their American office actually said how terrible their projects were.

You have my sympathies. The French mechanics I work with would agree with you.

Reactions: Shank
In comparison to a Yamaha, the Polaris' suck to work on. But we've had many Sportsman 500's and they are good machines.

I considered going Japanese but don't know anyone with a Yamaha, and only know people with Suzuki's which I absolutely hate riding. The King Quad's I've been on have driven absolutely atrocious. I enjoy how the Polaris ride ridiculously smooth. The 99-03 500 Sportsman's are supposed to be up there in reliability with most of the best.

Reactions: Apparition
I considered going Japanese but don't know anyone with a Yamaha, and only know people with Suzuki's which I absolutely hate riding. The King Quad's I've been on have driven absolutely atrocious. I enjoy how the Polaris ride ridiculously smooth. The 99-03 500 Sportsman's are supposed to be up there in reliability with most of the best.

Kawasaki drove us to Polaris, parts were too expensive. My Yamaha's are go fast type being a Banshee and a Raptor 700R.

Reactions: Shank
wife's commuter (08 Accord 4 cyl) has been making a whining noise. Turns out there's a TSB for the return line o-ring on the power steering pump, so I changed that and bled it, as well as replaced a worn tensioner pulley and bearing. Noise seems better, unsure. Wife says it's better so I guess that's what's important. I haven't driven it after the initial test drive so maybe it's just taken a while for all the bubbles to settle out.

I hate working on that thing. It's our only transverse engined car and the belt drive is crammed against the passenger wheelwell with just a fingers width of space, and of course there's an engine mount and the remote steering reservoir right off the belt so a lot of the bolts are too far away for a short socket to reach, but too close for extensions or a deep socket to fit. It took me almost as long to get the belt back on as it did to R&R the pump and the tensioner. And the fact that ALL the accessories are on the front side of the engine and share a bracket makes it nearly impossible to isolate a noise with a stethoscope. It's conducted through all of them, but the PS pump was maybe 5-10% louder.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
Kawasaki drove us to Polaris, parts were too expensive. My Yamaha's are go fast type being a Banshee and a Raptor 700R.

Now I did buy a Suzuki LT185 that has a cardboard gasket between the carb and head, bent axle, and just beat... Paid $100 and the thing just runs. Sold it to my brother and he uses it still.

• Haha
Been dealing with a slow leak on the work truck for a few days but couldn't find anything obvious. After sitting for two days while I was off it was down 20+ psi so I figured it was time to yank it off and drop it off at the tire shop to get it fixed.
PXL_20231208_154722852.jpg

Reactions: sab and ColoJeep
I made some progress on my Dodge 3500 tow rig‘s AAM 11.5 rear end.
From this:
IMG_5661.jpeg

To this (one ton truck axles are massive and heavy compared to TJ axles):
IMG_5734.jpeg

New ring and pinion with an ARB going in. This is the 1st test fit with the new pinion races in and set up bearings with the factory shim stack (0.054”). I set the pinion pre-load at 25 in.lbs. and then the backlash by feel. That‘s all for today. If I can after work, I’ll get the dial gauge out tomorrow to get the back lash in spec and run the first pattern.
This is an intimidating project but I’m starting to think I can do it🤞

I made some progress on my Dodge 3500 tow rig‘s AAM 11.5 rear end.
From this:
View attachment 481434
To this (one ton truck axles are massive and heavy compared to TJ axles):
View attachment 481435
New ring and pinion with an ARB going in. This is the 1st test fit with the new pinion races in and set up bearings with the factory shim stack (0.054”). I set the pinion pre-load at 25 in.lbs. and then the backlash by feel. That‘s all for today. If I can after work, I’ll get the dial gauge out tomorrow to get the back lash in spec and run the first pattern.
This is an intimidating project but I’m starting to think I can do it🤞

Alright here is the first pattern on the AAM 11.5 set up. 0.054” pinion shims (OEM spec and this is an OEM R&P). Pinion preload in spec @ 25 in.lb. Back lash 0.006” (spec is 5-7). Seems damn close for attempt number one. A local friend with a shop that does a lot of gears said “run it”. Thoughts? @hosejockey61 ? @Blackjack ? others?
Drive
IMG_5744.jpeg

Coast
IMG_5746.jpeg

Alright here is the first pattern on the AAM 11.5 set up. 0.054” pinion shims (OEM spec and this is an OEM R&P). Pinion preload in spec @ 25 in.lb. Back lash 0.006” (spec is 5-7). Seems damn close for attempt number one. A local friend with a shop that does a lot of gears said “run it”. Thoughts? @hosejockey61 ? @Blackjack ? others?
Drive
View attachment 481705
Coast
View attachment 481706

Have to love those crappy two cut gear patterns. That being said I think your friend is correct in letting that one run. You could try if you want to go a couple thou deeper but I think your coast side pattern might go south on you.

Have to love those crappy two cut gear patterns. That being said I think your friend is correct in letting that one run. You could try if you want to go a couple thou deeper but I think your coast side pattern might go south on you.

Thanks. I was feeling like I need to change something ‘cause the 1st one can’t be right.

I'm trying to replace the crank position sensor on my Ram 1500 pickup.

This is where it's at on the engine block. Easy to see on the Jeep right now with no heads in the way.

20231216_130606.jpg

This is the old one off my truck. I finally got the bolts out and the old one out.

20231216_130637.jpg

It sits on the back of the engine partly under the transmission dipstick. I've got the lower bolt started but have dropped the upper bolt twice so far.

20231216_130656.jpg

And I'm working outside so it's not exactly warm.

The truck was cutting out and stumbling sometimes and after talking to members on the Dodge forum this was the suspect. I happened to have a spare so it's a free try to see if it fixes the problem.

Got the two bolts installed and tightened down. The connector is hooked up.
Waiting for my fingers to thaw out and then I'll connect my scanner and try starting it.

Love it. You've got 2 other big projects in your Jeep and RV and then the daily acts up :rolleyes:

I'm having a similar time lately. Hang in there.

Reactions: Cheesy and Wildman
Love it. You've got 2 other big projects in your Jeep and RV and then the daily acts up :rolleyes:

I'm having a similar time lately. Hang in there.

It's a never ending battle sometimes I swear. Hope you get your rig fixed too.

Now my upstream O2 sensor is throwing codes... I'll have to pick up a new one and replace it as I don't have any spares.

In comparison to a Yamaha, the Polaris' suck to work on. But we've had many Sportsman 500's and they are good machines.

I had a ripped CV boot, turns out I have almost brand new OEM axles on the shelves from past endeavors, cool. Also have almost brand new OEM control arms and bushings, awesome.

Notice the shock bushings are shot, go to remove the shock, sure as shit if the exhaust was 1/8” farther away it’d come out…. Well guess who gets to remove the muffler 🙄.

Maybe they are a bit of a pain….

I had a ripped CV boot, turns out I have almost brand new OEM axles on the shelves from past endeavors, cool. Also have almost brand new OEM control arms and bushings, awesome.

Notice the shock bushings are shot, go to remove the shock, sure as shit if the exhaust was 1/8” farther away it’d come out…. Well guess who gets to remove the muffler 🙄.

Maybe they are a bit of a pain….

I remember lots of different sized fasteners.