What did you do to your other vehicle today?

That is correct. Its virtually always cheaper to fix whatcha got - plus you end up with a better vehicle anyway.

Yes - these modern vehicles are prone to failure with all the electronics, and those are the hardest parts to repair when replacements are no longer available.

Reactions: ColoJeep and BlueC
Yes - these modern vehicles are prone to failure with all the electronics, and those are the hardest parts to repair when replacements are no longer available.

I've also been hearing stories of direct injected gas engines killing cats prematurely, like in the 100-150K range, and that's costly.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: sab and ColoJeep
Replaced the JK and the Suburban with a 2017 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gasser.

First Ford I've ever owned. Hope I didn't just screw up.

(if anyone wants to buy a JKU with half doors, or a 1999 Suburban with every heavy duty option known to man, let me know)

Replaced the JK and the Suburban with a 2017 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gasser.

First Ford I've ever owned. Hope I didn't just screw up.

(if anyone wants to buy a JKU with half doors, or a 1999 Suburban with every heavy duty option known to man, let me know)

2500 suburbans are cool......

Reactions: StG58
This one rocks. 454, 4L80E, 14 bolt... The wife and I are going mobile and it's just a slight bit sketchy and under sized for what we have going on. The F-250 should work just fine.

The painful choice was Keep the Bourbon and sell both Jeeps, or sell the Bourbon...I kept my TJ.

I want to ask for more details on it but I shouldn't....

That'd be a tough choice for sure. I am sure my wife would love going from a 2013 Denali to a 1999 3/4 ton....

I want to ask for more details on it but I shouldn't....

That'd be a tough choice for sure. I am sure my wife would love going from a 2013 Denali to a 1999 3/4 ton....

She would, but maybe not this one. It's got 198,000 miles on it. Had it since 50,000 miles. It's all there, it runs great, but it's a resto project.

Reactions: Shank
I had the windshield of my 89 XJ removed last week so I could clean up the frame and deal with some small rust issues. I didn't pick the best time of year but it had to be done.

I'll be driving it back to the glass shop today for a new windshield. It will be a bit chilly ... and windy!

24-03-21 1.jpg

EDIT: I just got back from dropping it off. It's too early for wisky so I'll have to settle for coffee.

24-03-25 1.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got an 04 Suburban 2500 6.0 4x4 140K. Took it on a 6K road trip to Florida last month. Rides like a dream and got me to every gas station quickly. My 19 F-250 6.2 4x4 40K is a beast and gets me to gas stations even faster.

This one rocks. 454, 4L80E, 14 bolt... The wife and I are going mobile and it's just a slight bit sketchy and under sized for what we have going on. The F-250 should work just fine.

The painful choice was Keep the Bourbon and sell both Jeeps, or sell the Bourbon...I kept my TJ.

What do you mean you're going mobile? Buying a big motorhome and hitting the road? Haven't seen you in here for awhile.

What do you mean you're going mobile? Buying a big motorhome and hitting the road? Haven't seen you in here for awhile.

I'm retired, and the wife is retiring soon. We sold most everything, and put the rest in storage. We've lived in Airstreams for the past four years. A 19' for two and now a 27' Globetrotter for two. We've got a lot of places to go, and a lot of people to see. The Globetrotter is set up for boondocking / off grid. It's going to be a riot! Heck, the trailer has a bigger lift on it than my TJ does! 3" vs 1-1/2".

I had a heart attack a couple of years ago and it messed me up for awhile. Went from going 110% to 50% overnight. Back to about 90% now.

Got new tires on the Volt. The guy at Les Schwab told me they're "Mud and Snow Rated." The TJ has mud tires, maybe that's why it keeps getting stuck in the snow? Maybe I should take the Volt up the mountain and see if it does better?

1712268489283.png

Not fully stuck here but as far as I went. Just for reference.
1712268544220.png

Got new tires on the Volt. The guy at Les Schwab told me they're "Mud and Snow Rated." The TJ has mud tires, maybe that's why it keeps getting stuck in the snow? Maybe I should take the Volt up the mountain and see if it does better?

View attachment 515292

Not fully stuck here but as far as I went. Just for reference.
View attachment 515294

If nothing else those lithium batteries make a nice fire to keep you warm up there in an emergency 🔥

• Haha
Reactions: DavidBT
Got new tires on the Volt. The guy at Les Schwab told me they're "Mud and Snow Rated." The TJ has mud tires, maybe that's why it keeps getting stuck in the snow?

I've owned two different Volkswagon Jettas. The first was a 2000 model year, and 16" tires(IIRC). It went great on snow covered roads. I replaced it with a 2008 model year and 17" wheels. That went like crap on snow covered roads. Both had similar M&S rated tires. When talking to other Jetta owners, they said the larger wheels was the difference. I just can't wrap my brain around why the small difference in wheel size made such a big difference.

I've owned two different Volkswagon Jettas. The first was a 2000 model year, and 16" tires(IIRC). It went great on snow covered roads. I replaced it with a 2008 model year and 17" wheels. That went like crap on snow covered roads. Both had similar M&S rated tires. When talking to other Jetta owners, they said the larger wheels was the difference. I just can't wrap my brain around why the small difference in wheel size made such a big difference.

I was being sarcastic about the volt going where the jeep couldn't, and making fun of the "mud and snow" rating. That's heavy wet snow, >30" deep. No small-tire car is getting anywhere close to that!

They should do just fine on what little snow we get on the valley floor.