What did you do to your TJ today?

It was painted sometime before I purchased the Jeep but yeah, it's actually in very good condition. What I initially thought was a rushed amateur paint job has actually held up surprisingly well in the two years I've owned it. I definitely overpaid for this Jeep but the hard top makes up for it a little.
Would it be possible to get the dimensions for your hardtop dolly please?

Sure! These are the plans I used off Pinterest. You can just search Pinterest jeep wrangler hard top if you ever need to find a better picture.

The only comment I have about them is that the back spacer blocks on mine (#3 on the diagram) ended up in a position where the rear glass hinges rest directly on them, rather than the corners of the top itself. I don't think this is a mistake but if I were to do it over again, I might place those blocks differently so that they aren't directly under the hinges. It didn't seem to cause any problems but I didn't like it.

1602088675969.png

Officially said goodbye to the soft top seasonView attachment 194768
Please explain to me why people think they need a hard top for winter? Even when temps hit zero or below, I have to turn my heater on low (with a soft top) or it burns holes in my shoes. I've also had 3' of snow on my soft top with zero problems. Just curious about the myth.:unsure:
p.s. I always try to buy Jeeps with hard tops because I sell the tops for $750 to buy more useful stuff (winch, armor, etc).
p.p.s. If you need a hard top, heated seats are a must.

Last edited:
Please explain to me why people think they need a hard top for winter? Even when temps hit zero or below, I have to turn my heater on low (with a soft top) or it burns holes in my shoes. I've also had 3' of snow on my soft top with zero problems. Just curious about the myth.:unsure:
p.s. I always try to buy Jeeps with hard tops because I sell the tops for $750 to buy more useful stuff (winch, armor, etc).
I would assume that in cold climates, the constant stress of freezing/unfreezing isn't good for the fabric. It would contract and expand repeatedly over the course of a winter, which would certainly weaken the fabric. Also, I would assume in places that get a lot of snow, the weight of snow on the fabric could make it sag over time. Not to mention that melting snow on your soft top would likely result in leakage.

Being that we're both from Virginia, we know that the snow is never really that bad here. I wanted the hard top, however, because I wanted less road noise and a low maintenance top for when we do get snow/ice.

Sure! These are the plans I used off Pinterest. You can just search Pinterest jeep wrangler hard top if you ever need to find a better picture.

The only comment I have about them is that the back spacer blocks on mine (#3 on the diagram) ended up in a position where the rear glass hinges rest directly on them, rather than the corners of the top itself. I don't think this is a mistake but if I were to do it over again, I might place those blocks differently so that they aren't directly under the hinges. It didn't seem to cause any problems but I didn't like it.

View attachment 194786
Thanks...will be building this when I take the hard top off in the Spring!

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
I was excited to get a hardtop on my LJ with the defrost and wiper so I can see out the back in the winter. Then I learned that it came with a soft top originally and I don't have any of the wiring to make it work. Doh.

I replaced the original OPDA with a Crown in my 06.
The original made it to 105k without issue and didn't want to press my luck further. All was going great until I needed to take out the retaining bolt.... That thing wasn't moving. After multiple days of running through my entire toolbox, a can of PB Blaster, borrowing additional wrenches from my neighbor, hitting it with a torch, it FINALLY came loose 🥵 The rest of the project took 20 minutes after that!

Took it for a drive last night up to highway speed. No CEL's or anything that would tell me I messed up the install, so I can't be too annoyed.

Since it is going to start dipping into the 50s at night and in the mornings, I decided to put the windows back in today. I have to work nights and get off early in the cooer part of the morning and I noticed I have been turning the heater on, so figured I might as well get it over with. LOL
B21E836C-02E5-4AF0-86A8-BFC83DCE01AB.jpeg

I do need to make a personal note for next time. I got them in and then decided to drop the windjammers window. Well, it was dirty, so now I am trying to clean it without being able to just reach right in from the back. LOL Next time clean windjammer window first and get it put down, then install rear windows.

3CD14298-AA24-4E4A-8A50-F67C2BA879C3.jpeg

12306EF4-EB4F-4668-B2C0-66687748EBD1.jpeg

I will say, I was pleasantly surprised with how my windows were when I first opened the storage bag I bought for them at the beginning of summer. It is the bag that you roll the windows up and can store them behind the roll bar. I kept it in the house, but it was nice to see when I opened it and let them lay flat for a little while, that they were now all kinked up where the hard plastic has to get rolled. I was really nervous about that part of rolling them. They looked great and went on with no hassles. :D

For some reason now that the back window is in, the rear door for my deck doesn't want to sit flat anymore. It hits the bracket the window bar sits in now. ? May have to go try to make some adjustments with a hammer if it bounces around too much.

9959ECAD-C984-4951-9C6A-D8ECFB3135B0.jpeg
514E8230-FEC7-4093-BA0E-B1B193597F39_1_201_a.jpeg

I was excited to get a hardtop on my LJ with the defrost and wiper so I can see out the back in the winter. Then I learned that it came with a soft top originally and I don't have any of the wiring to make it work. Doh.

Look in the How-To forum. There is a 2 part post about adding a wiring harness.

Personal preference? lol not sure how you took away from my post that people need to/must do anything. I remember that you were the dude arguing about not burping the cooling system though so I know you got strong opinions :LOL:

I agree, it doesn't make it any warmer when you first get in but I think it retains heat better (still not great). Ditto on my heater, and I run without carpet so I get plenty of ambient heat from my auto trans even without the heater on. I also like switching it up and rolling with the hard top for a while. My OEM soft top is threadbare anyway.

Reactions: Blondie70
I, FWIW, love having the hardtop. So much so, that I sold my soft top when I got it (it was a cheap quadratec special the PO had put on) I have a harken hoister in my garage (worth every penny) so it only takes about 15 minutes to get topless, doors off and hinge mirrors put on, with one person!!! The hard top is so much quieter, definitely helps with keeping the heat and AC in the vehicle, and gives me a small sense of security when parked in public. I bought it for $250, but had to put 2 pieces of glass in it and buy new hardware (hinges, props, tub bolts). all told I have about $600 in it and got $200 back when I sold the soft top, then another $100 for the surrounds. I've never looked back or had soft top envy, only downside is getting soaked in a pop up boomer we get all summer long in the south. But I never got into jeeps to stay clean and dry!!!

View attachment 194786

Harbor Freight has a 30x18" moving dolly. That gets you the 30" planks and the casters. They're even carpeted.
20200618_195231.jpg