What did you do to your TJ today?

I'm under mine tonight, adjusting the pinion angle (at least getting it in the ball park) and making sure everything is loosened up for more adjustment for my CV Driveshaft to go in tomorrow.

Had to take an emergency break.....ate a sonic cheese dog and onion rings at lunch...ended up dealing with 2 rear ends ...mine and the Jeep. That's funny right there.

Lord have mercy.

I'm under mine tonight, adjusting the pinion angle (at least getting it in the ball park) and making sure everything is loosened up for more adjustment for my CV Driveshaft to go in tomorrow.

Had to take an emergency break.....ate a sonic cheese dog and onion rings at lunch...ended up dealing with 2 rear ends ...mine and the Jeep. That's funny right there.

Lord have mercy.
Yeah, I've heard Sonic's hotdogs can cause a leak in the rear main seal.

Installed a bug/rock deflector to cover some damage.
Rubi bug4 (2).jpg
Rubi bug3.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the original OPDA with a Crown in my 06.
The original made it to 105k without issue and didn't want to press my luck further. All was going great until I needed to take out the retaining bolt.... That thing wasn't moving. After multiple days of running through my entire toolbox, a can of PB Blaster, borrowing additional wrenches from my neighbor, hitting it with a torch, it FINALLY came loose 🥵 The rest of the project took 20 minutes after that!

Took it for a drive last night up to highway speed. No CEL's or anything that would tell me I messed up the install, so I can't be too annoyed.
You got me scared now with 152k on my original!

Reactions: Tom18
.... only downside is getting soaked in a pop up boomer we get all summer long in the south. But I never got into jeeps to stay clean and dry!!!
I leave my top off all summer and tarp it at night, or if not using it. I keep a bikini top rolled up behind the seats for the rain we get almost everyday. I'm south of Asheville and we get more than twice the annual rainfall Asheville does (98"/ year)

I leave my top off all summer and tarp it at night, or if not using it. I keep a bikini top rolled up behind the seats for the rain we get almost everyday. I'm south of Asheville and we get more than twice the annual rainfall Asheville does (98"/ year)
I'm up in hickory, we got so much rain this summer, I was soaked plenty. Putting the hoist in was great, I could put on the top quickly and remove it just as fast. I have a bikini top collecting dust, I think I've used it twice in 3 years

Do new rear springs they said. It will be great.

Still in amazement what 1" more of rear spring height created.

My pinion angle went out the door, and I couldn't dial it back in successfully with with my stock shaft.

Had a fiasco with the local driveline shop.

Ordered one from 80 miles away, son went and got it today.

Now I'm trying to dial in, a CV shaft is tight in a Rubi.

I'm at 5° at the transfer case , 19° for the shaft for a 14° operating angle at the joint, 10 degrees up on the differential which leaves me at a 9 degree operating angle at the differential. Needs to be 1-2° from in plane with the shaft so the pinion has to come up.

Leaves me dealing with track bar clearance at the tank vs. shaft having room for flex travel. I'd really like the tires more forward.

Plan is to bring everything forward 1/2 and roll the differentiatial up to within 1-2 ° of the shaft plane and pee my pants if it doesn't vibrate or bump the tank skid.

The first CV shaft was super smooth up to 55, so I'm confident this will work out.

@Hog suggested some flat plates to mount flush mount lights under my rear tube bumper/tire carrier ....so those are getting fabbed. Great idea for my situation.

Not going back to Sonic for a while.

Last edited:
You got me scared now with 152k on my original!
Mine was purely preventative replacement. Never had a single issue with the original but read all the doom and gloom posts about the 05-06 years going bad. I'm sure there's real knowledge behind it (I think there was a recall in 04?) but I also try to follow the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" motto. Figured for 100 bucks and an hour of work it's worth the peace of mind. I'm still going to keep the original OPDA just in case.

As far as the retaining bolt, I'd make sure you have 6 point box wrenches. 1/2in. did the job for me but some videos say 13mm. The standard 12 point wrenches strip the corners of the bolt too easily and start you down a bad path. The entire replacement would have taken less than an hour if it wasn't for that bolt. I followed the guide/video posted in the TJ Resources:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-change-your-opda.79/

Reactions: bstrobel64
Got my metalcloak arms primered, coloured and cleared to protect the raw aluminum. Super happy to have ordered the double adjustable. Also got the axle seals, front pinion seal and front axle bushings ordered. Excited for next Thursday when I will have access to shop to throw all these parts on and do my alignment.

20201007_180748.jpg

Mine was purely preventative replacement. Never had a single issue with the original but read all the doom and gloom posts about the 05-06 years going bad. I'm sure there's real knowledge behind it (I think there was a recall in 04?) but I also try to follow the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" motto. Figured for 100 bucks and an hour of work it's worth the peace of mind. I'm still going to keep the original OPDA just in case.

As far as the retaining bolt, I'd make sure you have 6 point box wrenches. 1/2in. did the job for me but some videos say 13mm. The standard 12 point wrenches strip the corners of the bolt too easily and start you down a bad path. The entire replacement would have taken less than an hour if it wasn't for that bolt. I followed the guide/video posted in the TJ Resources:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-change-your-opda.79/
One of these days I'll order one for shelf decor.

Anyway not today but yesterday I was trying to track down a phantom rattle and found my vacuum reservoir floating about behind the battery. Thinking that was causing my rattle I stuffed a rag behind it until I figure out where it mounts. Spoiler: that wasn't causing it.

I also dropped my spare wheel at Peerless Tire for them to install a matching tire to my Gladiator takeoffs. Apparently the C-rated Falken Wildpeak MT01 is a bit of a unicorn to find on its own. Discount claimed Falken didn't make them in C and the local jeep dealer wanted over $400 after all was said and done for one tire! Managed to track one down though and should be picking it up later this morning. Hopefully I can extend my snubbers so I don't kill my tailgate/body/hinges until I get an Exogate.

Since my ARB tire inflation kit from Amazon was delivered to the wrong location halfway across the country lol and it’s now gone they refunded my money and are sold out everywhere else or on back order, I ordered up the ARB T-fitting From summit racing and rigged up my own air line so I can deflate my tires and air up tomorrow for our bundy hill outing. lol nothing fancy but it works
8ED399B0-1F3C-47A8-85CE-1623A037BE9A.jpeg

Since my ARB tire inflation kit from Amazon was delivered to the wrong location halfway across the country lol and it’s now gone they refunded my money and are sold out everywhere else or on back order, I ordered up the ARB T-fitting From summit racing and rigged up my own air line so I can deflate my tires and air up tomorrow for our bundy hill outing. lol nothing fancy but it works View attachment 195165
Nice!
Don't forget to replace the nut on the proportioning valve mount (on the master cylinder mount bolt).