What did you do to your TJ today?

Ordered and installed the OXILAM 1156 LED Bulbs for the reverse lights, per a recommendation from someone here.

They may not be as bright as the seller claims, but for $15 these are a HUGE improvement.

Thanks for the tip! (Sorry can't remember who it was)
Which ones did you get?

Spent the day pulling my trans/transfer case and clutch out of the Jeep. I was hoping it was only going to be to replace the clutch components, but I'm worried about this trans. I don't think the factory used orange gasket sealant, did they? So, I'm guessing someone has been into the thing before. I've driven it for over 50,000-60,000 miles since I've had it and have always had a question in my mind about it's lifespan. It shifts...but not consistent or smooth and I had driven it 100 miles or so the night before I parked it with no issue....BUT. That play in the input shaft and the metal particles in the oil that has wept out of the rear seal area has me thinking it's rebuild time or new trans, since I have yet to find a rebuild kit for it online. I'd rather not put a clutch in it, stick this trans as it is back in and have it blow up on me later.

Throw out bearing does seem shot, but I'm surprised the pressure plate and flywheel look better than I thought they would...not blued, but definitely showing signs of wear.

Anyone have any sources for AX-15 rebuild kit?

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3571.JPG

Received the transfercase lowering kit today just before lunch.
Propped up the transmission with a jack stand, lowered the skid plate, replaced the transmission mount with a Mopar part, installed the lowering kit and test drove the Jeep; the vibrations were gone.
While the transmission mount wasn't terrible; it was on the way out. I have seen where the metal and rubber were separated and there wasn't much rubber remaining. The old mount is on the right and the new one is on the left.

63726233859__67F02BBB-00AD-475D-AB75-96BCFD690D5B.jpg

Recharged the A/C today. I drove it to work yesterday and turned the A/C on for the first time since probably Oct/Nov. After just a few minutes I could tell something wasn't right because it wasn't very cool feeling. After getting home from work I looked around for any signs of problems. The only thing I seen was a little dirt on the metal tube at the front of the valve cover. The one with the cap and valve core in it. Pulled the cap off and instantly heard the leak.

My buddy has all the needed A/C tools so he put a vacuum on it for a while after I changed the valve core. No other leaks, recharged, nice cold air now. : )

Last edited:
Front axle is out.

PXL_20210312_234753084.jpg
PXL_20210312_234805260.jpg

Rear axle only held in by brake line and breaker tube. Lubing the brake fitting with Kroil overnight. Considering a full SS replacement on the brake lines so that may be irrelevant.

I won't be reselling the lower control arms. Lol.

PXL_20210312_234925649.MP.jpg

Clearly tried the grinder. With the axle out, I should be able to get the sawzall in to get this frame mounted piece out. Diablo sawzall blade well worth the cost. Did the job clean and quick on the axle end.

Front axle is out.

View attachment 233626View attachment 233627
Rear axle only held in by brake line and breaker tube. Lubing the brake fitting with Kroil overnight. Considering a full SS replacement on the brake lines so that may be irrelevant.

View attachment 233637

Clearly tried the grinder. With the axle out, I should be able to get the sawzall in to get this frame mounted piece out. Diablo sawzall blade well worth the cost. Did the job clean and quick on the axle end.

Front axle is out.

View attachment 233626View attachment 233627

View attachment 233637

BTW, Tires are there for piece of mind - no weight on them. After putting the Jeep up on the 4 new jacks (USA made 🇺🇸), I still had some underlying concerns of having no backup if (God forbid) the Jeep shifted. I trust the jacks 100%+ but first time with the Jeep on only jacks was a bit intimidating.

Learned early on to throw the tires under the vehicle while their off as backup if the vehicle falls off the stands. Without anything there, I could only think of becoming a Flat Stanley for the moments I was under it without the tires there as a backup...

Having seen the @mrblaine idea to use straps to secure the Jeep down to the floor while on all jack stands, I'm really considering adding floor attachment points for the sense of security.

Changed out the idler pulley and a new belt. Picture isn't the greatest but I couldn't say I did it without proof! ;) View attachment 233455
IF you didn't throw away the old idler pulley; you can replace the old bearing and keep the old pulley as a spare.
I purchased the bearing from Grainger and didn't take very long to replace.