What did you do to your TJ today?

I replaced all 4 shocks today for the first time.
I don't mean my first time replacing shocks, I mean the first time this LJ has had its shocks changed out. In 16 years, or 104,800-something miles.
Holy cats. What. A. Pain.
The rears came out with no problems; however, the fronts? I had to use a dremel and cutting wheel to cut both top bolts on each shock. I couldn't get my vise grips to get a grip on the shaft and yes, I had been spraying Deep Creep and Free All on all the bolts for the last week. (A previous owner had the undercarriage rustproofed with Ziebart. That stuff is thick and gets pasty/sticky with penetrating oil, and makes a hell of a mess on the sockets and wrenches.)
The new shocks (stock-height Ranchos) went on easy.
Anyway, that's finally done. Test drive felt nice. But seriously, I don't want to revisit that chore soon.

Also got my phone holder installed but lost daylight doing the shocks, and didn't get a picture.

Got my new wheel and tire package ready to go. Buyer for the JK Recon wheels, KO2s, adapter and spare relocation bracket has access to a lift, so we’re pulling everything and switching over Sunday morning. ‘06 Moabs and 285/75R16 MT/Rs.

View attachment 233735

View attachment 233736

I liked the 17s and KO2s. But the Recon wheels weren’t my first choice and since I don’t drive it much, I wanted a more aggressive tire. I got a great deal on the wheels and Discount Tire Direct has a decent deal on the MT/Rs, and more importantly, were the only ones with them in stock. Especially since the KM3s are unobtanium as well.
Your gonna need some wider flared guards I think !!! lol

Reactions: en480c4
Between your posts and @NashvilleTJ posts on garage setups, I'm going to need a support group for us just getting it done with our garages...

You're posting this meanwhile my next exciting garage-related posted with be getting the riding mower into a new shed so I can stop tripping over it....

With that said, o_O - Beautiful!
Cheers buddy....I only showed you the 'nice' corner though haha

Reactions: FarFire70
Any ideas on how to read the engine number? I think its eithert too rusty or someone tried to erease it? I bought mopar tps sensor with vin number but it didnt fit, the present one has different pigtail and red rubber oring on throttle side with CTS® engravement. IMG_20210314_134019.jpg

Yesterday I replaced the jounce bumpers (two weeks ago that was a foreign term) on all four corners of the TJ. This was a good project, the rears were much easier by removing the wheels. Jacked up each corner one at a time and the new bumpers slid in between the springs easily. Getting the rotted out old pieces was the hardest part. Screwdriver and patience got the pieces out.
8C9BB25A-9AA2-46D3-BE18-EBA0A0960182.jpegE173446B-A79F-48FB-BD63-4B7DAC456EAD.jpeg6B970C78-4726-4C20-8477-1442681AC5D7.jpegE9C752A3-DFFB-49D6-8921-26E88D88C25A.jpeg

Interesting find inside the top of each of the front extenders. One had rocks and dirt the other had sticks, maybe a mouse home at one point? Vacuumed them out and shot them with a little rust inhibiting paint.

7EAC9209-EE96-4E3A-8748-32A48B9226FC.jpeg

7A201AAA-C0DF-4FAC-8728-E4937017A7D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday I replaced the jounce bumpers (two weeks ago that was a foreign term) on all four corners of the TJ. This was a good project, the rears were much easier by removing the wheels. Jacked up each corner one at a time and the new bumpers slid in between the springs easily. Getting the rotted out old pieces was the hardest part. Screwdriver and patience got the pieces out.
View attachment 234130View attachment 234131View attachment 234132View attachment 234133

Interesting find inside the top of each of the front extenders. One had rocks and dirt the other had sticks, maybe a mouse home at one point? Vacuumed them out and shot them with a little rust inhibiting paint.

View attachment 234135

View attachment 234137

Go to the hardware store and get some 1-1/2 inch rubber chair leg tips and shove in there and it will keep it clean in the future. I’ve had some in there on mine for probably 2 or 3 years. Mine were full of sand.

4C0AC801-D8F0-427E-971B-17EFB46CC91A.jpeg

1A87532D-F0EC-463F-A864-B29EAEE2A31C.jpeg

Go to the hardware store and get some 1-1/2 inch rubber chair leg tips and shove in there and it will keep it clean in the future. I’ve had some in there on mine for probably 2 or 3 years. Mine were full of sand.

View attachment 234161
View attachment 234162
Great idea! I can’t imagine it is good to have that area open, it does drain out I believe but if stuff gets in there then water can sit. There was a little bit of rust, that’s why I hit it with the paint. It went untouched for 20 years so I don’t imagine I will be checking them again any time soon.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Great idea! I can’t imagine it is good to have that area open, it does drain out I believe but if stuff gets in there then water can sit. There was a little bit of rust, that’s why I hit it with the paint. It went untouched for 20 years so I don’t imagine I will be checking them again any time soon.

I likely would have never known but when I installed my lift, I put new jounce bumpers on too. They were about 3/4 of the way filled with sand. I took a screwdriver to break it all up, because it was kind of packed in there, and then used a shop vac to suck it all out. Didn’t see any signs of rust but knew I didn’t want it to fill back up again. Someone on this site had came up with the idea but I don’t remember who it was.

I just go straight to a pipe wrench now.

That and an impact from the access hole in the fender, always works.
Luckily the replacements had a welded nut at the top below the rubber and washer that I had some place to grip while fastening them.

I'm adding a pipe wrench to the list of 'buy eventually' toolbox items. Thanks for that.