What did you do to your TJ today?

gave it a bath, been a while!
5D095932-2E48-4C10-A9F4-2A539149BF85.jpeg

I was prepping to coat my inner frame and found a few rust flakes. My Texas Jeep spent 2 years in Washington D.C. before I got it and drilled drain holes in the frame. I removed some flakes with my new "Alien probe" :alien: flexible 20" magnetic tool. I'm going to keep power washing inside the frame and removing any flakes before coating it with Eastwood internal frame coating. I'm glad I caught it early. $6 at Walmart well spent.
Magnet tool1.jpg

Magnet tool.jpg

Crawled under it and sprayed Pblaster on every shock, link, and control arm bolt/nut in sight. Man that stuff STINKS! I think the Upper Control Arms didn't come with new bushings on one end.
Front upper axle side have to be pressed in and are a slight PITA to replace with a loaner ball joint press.

Well, so far I'm impressed with Summit. My entire suspension parts order that I placed earlier today has already been shipped (free). In two boxes! One box contains exactly one (1), count it, upper front control arm - the other box contains everything else including the other upper front control arm! At least they're not like "Cheaper Than Dirt!" and charge an arm and a leg for shipping from different warehouses!

Way different from Amazon's free shipping which can result in things sitting around for several days or even a week before they actually go out the door. With that said, one of the 4 items I ordered from Amazon this AM actually did ship out today.
Just discovered your web page. What a great read, just spent my morning drinking coffee and reading the whole thing. Well Done!

Front upper axle side have to be pressed in and are a slight PITA to replace with a loaner ball joint press.
Thanx for the clue! I've been meaning to buy a ball joint press anyway - eventually. Maybe I can install it with a C-clamp? I was surprised with the CA arrived and there wasn't anything on one end! Learning...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I drove it to one of my fav lunch spots in town. Waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer to put the top down.

I actually think I might keep the jeep in this configuration (half doors/slider windows/soft top) permanently. This past winter I did not put hardtop/full doors and did not miss it one bit.

View attachment 246170
Very similar to how I ran mine for the first year. Savvy Sliders and guards? I went back to full doors in the Fall last year and may run it like that because it does rain a lot here(not like in Oregon, but some)

Very similar to how I ran mine for the first year. Savvy Sliders and guards? I went back to full doors in the Fall last year and may run it like that because it does rain a lot here(not like in Oregon, but some)

Yes, Savvy sliders. I always changed to hard top in the winter but the TJ cabin is pretty small and there is enough heat in the cabin that I did not feel cold at all. Only detriment was added noise on the hwy but it's not like the hard top is super quiet or anything. I also think most Jeeps look better with the soft top.

Reactions: Ephry73
Yes, Savvy sliders. I always changed to hard top in the winter but the TJ cabin is pretty small and there is enough heat in the cabin that I did not feel cold at all. Only detriment was added noise on the hwy but it's not like the hard top is super quiet or anything. I also think most Jeeps look better with the soft top.
Exactly

Reactions: psrivats
Come back with thoughts on change.
Cheers
About 150 miles in and the Valvoline is so fas so good. Feels to have made a small noticeable difference. Still feel the 1-2 shift has a little “bump” at times not always. Also wanted to mention lots of gunk and some slight fine metal on the magnet. Mostly gunk. Thinking of flushing it again here in a few more weeks to check the magnet out again and see if there is anymore gunk.