What did you do to your TJ today?

dime bag, hahaha, been a long time. I didn't have any chips or chunks to pull out but there was some rough spots to the touch, namely the driver's side from a few inches past the rear end side of the rear control arm mount to a few inches towards the front of it, I ended up making one of those frame pummelers with a chain on the end of a drill & shoved it in & beat everything to death & got it as smooth as possible, still not perfect, maybe consider doing the same. Shot Eastwood in until it was pouring out of the drain holes, stuff runs like water. I'm extra paranoid about internal frame rust so I've since gone over the entire frame inside with fluid film in case the paint cracks. I think I went a little overboard with it, every now & then I stick a finger in there & the goop feels about 1/16 inch deep :LOL:

I've given up the mud, rinse, repeat life also, just not worthwhile to me anymore. At this point I think the only element my rig is battling is humidity in the summer, which I imagine can cause slow rot over time to exposed iron. Other than that it's not exposed to rain, snow, salt or water crossings.
I'm going to do this sometime this summer, not looking forward to it. I was going to make one of those chain drill attachment things, what do you attach the chain to- right to the drill?

Reactions: FarFire70
The only thing I haven’t tried is heat at this point, after pounding on them with an impact, manual, and drill those suckers won’t budge. The uppers work, but I really had to slam the doors to get shut, the seals don’t sit just right. Honestly, I’ll probably sell the uppers as I’ll never use them.
My upper on the drivers side doesn’t fit either.

I'm going to do this sometime this summer, not looking forward to it. I was going to make one of those chain drill attachment things, what do you attach the chain to- right to the drill?

I went to Home Depot & picked up a couple lengths of flexible steel cord then attached a 6 inch length of chain to it with these ferrule's (the cord goes into the drill, chain at opposite end attached in its center):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Vg2DmCh0wugHHEAQYASABEgJraPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Where does it go in and out?

yup, everywhere. The large round openings on the sides behind the rear control arm mounts are good spots to get in, and there are also openings on the top & bottom of the rails that are oblong & big enough to cram this assembly into. Once it gets in there let it rip.

I've got some pictures somewhere of the one I built I'll see later on tonight if I can find them.

Edit: Here it is:

frame pummler.jpg

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot & picked up a couple lengths of flexible steel cord then attached a 6 inch length of chain to it with these ferrule's (the cord goes into the drill, chain at opposite end attached in its center):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Vg2DmCh0wugHHEAQYASABEgJraPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

yup, everywhere. The large round openings on the sides behind the rear control arm mounts are good spots to get in, and there are also openings on the top & bottom of the rails that are oblong & big enough to cram this assembly into. Once it gets in there let it rip.

I've got some pictures somewhere of the one I built I'll see later on tonight if I can find them.

Edit: Here it is:

View attachment 247209
Does the drill spin and knock off rust from the inside? I’m looking for like a long sponge to capture the random rivnuts and bolts that are rolling around the frame. I like the idea of using cable and fishing or through though. I could use the cable and tie it to a loofa.

Does the drill spin and knock off rust from the inside?

Exactly. Once you pull the switch on the drill the chain goes from limp to more rigid but flexible propeller & conforms pretty good to the inside of the frame knocking the shit out of everything in its path. I'd stick the thing in there at full length, turn it on, then very slowly pull it back towards the hole it went in. When you drag it past other holes you can see it in action, it's pretty cool. I had a bunch of NJ swamp pebbles in mine I couldn't blow out with air or flush out with water, the pummler beat that stuff down to dust at which point I was able to get most of it out. If you've got flakes & scale inside the frame this thing will knock it off the surface while also breaking it apart. Then you have to return to more conventional methods of removing it as this tool is only really for smoothing the inside surface down & breaking things apart. Once you're done (if you have a lot of rust in there) this would be a good time to fish a magnet in, I'd imagine that thing would come out absolutely covered in rust dust. I didn't have a lot of stuff sticking to the magnet so I was using more air & water.

It's a pretty violent little gizmo, my cord eventually unwound & the whole thing bunched up inside like one giant ganglious ball of cord but I was pretty much done at that point anyway though it did suck getting it back out. Just make sure you build it such that the entire leading head of it can collapse & fit through the holes. As long as you can cram it in there any way possible it'll open up & do its job pretty effectively. Like I said I built more than one, one had a shorter cord & then one had the longer one I posted in the photo above.

Oh, & be sure to keep the wingspan of the fully opened up chain at a length that's only a little bigger than the inside of the frame so the chain doesn't get all jammed up into itself.

I replaced this disgrace of a battery (which still worked well, but was a mess)
View attachment 247234With this
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9834
I ended up getting it for $165 out the door. I know it’s not nearly in the same league as higher end AGMs, but for half the price I couldn’t argue.
That's the one I'm going with. Looking to take advantage of the 20% 'bucket' discount that they're running right now to grab the battery with a couple other small items to take advantage of the deal.

Installed my Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack 285/75/16s on my TJ today. Or I should say I attempted too. I practically put my back out by trying to remove the bolts on my old wheels & tires. The shop that installed my lift kit tightened my wheel bolts so tight that it made it virtually impossible for me to remove them (installed less than 2 weeks ago). So a quick trip to the hardware store to buy a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar. It worked like a charm. Finally after almost a year of ownership of my 04 Sahara, it's finally looks like a proper Jeep.

Last edited:
Well, I thought the tailgate was ready for color. Turns out it’s not, so I have some more work to do. But that said, I was pretty happy with the match considering there’s no clear on it. I'm really looking forward to getting it on for good.

View attachment 246060

View attachment 246061
What am I missing here? I see two gates. One open one closed. am I having a flash back? Is this a glitch in the matrix?

I drove it to one of my fav lunch spots in town. Waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer to put the top down.

I actually think I might keep the jeep in this configuration (half doors/slider windows/soft top) permanently. This past winter I did not put hardtop/full doors and did not miss it one bit.

View attachment 246170
Good to have options.