What did you do to your TJ today?

Put the hard top back on.
200.gif

Turned out good.

What paint did you use? I bought some fluorescent orange off eBay to paint mine so they show up better with my green LED’s, but I’ve never got around to doing it.

I purchased this paint and these brushes to do the job.

It ended up taking me a couple of hours because I did many coats, was fighting off contamination, and was being it bit critical in the final stages.

Reactions: MikeE024
I purchased this paint and these brushes to do the job.

It ended up taking me a couple of hours because I did many coats, was fighting off contamination, and was being it bit critical in the final stages.
They turned out really well. I got this paint but have just been waiting until the next time I need to take the dash apart.

Reactions: MikeE024
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Replaced my ignition cylinder with a new dorman cylinder kit. new kit came with new tumblers (which I used) and keys (which I tossed). all in all, about 15 minutes of work.

occasionally ill need a coworker to move the jeep at work and sometimes ill find the radio is on and the key is out of the cylinder. I know my key is good, dealer cut a replacement off the vin last summer. low and behold I realized if I improperly removed the key before pushing the plunger I could pull it out too. so I figured it was time to do the tumblers.

its a easy job. luckily my model year had a hole in the plastic cover under the column you could push the release button on for the ignition cylinder and simply just pull it out with the key in the on position.

after its pulled from the column theres a bit of a trick to get the inner cylinder with the tumblers out of the outer cylinder but its as simple as pushing a pin in with a knife and viola the inner pulls right out. (inner left, outer right, center bottom are the tumblers and springs) this is the original cylinder shown here after soapy water, it was full of black tar like gunk and grit.
IMG_2441.JPG

And when comparing old tumblers (top) to new tumbler (bottom) you can make out the wear. they were ground away over the near 200k miles of use. I circled the common wear spot on one of the old ones but all three of the originals show wear. out of the 8 tumblers, 6 were worn with a grove.
IMG_2440.JPG

This kit did not provide any lubricants of any sort unlike a ford dorman kit I did earlier this year where it was supplied.
from what Im assuming, the ford kit had steel tumblers which required grease but it is also in a enclosed cab. whereas brass in this jeep kit is a softer metal "self lubricating" and is in a open to the elements environment with more dirt and dust therefore you wouldn't want grease packed inside collecting dirt. maybe.

Last edited:
Just finishing up some mods I started in July, I have a reman 4.0 with less than 5k on it or so. I decided to put a comp cam in and Harlen Sharp rollers. Then I thought a AFE header would be nice. It has been a frustrating few months with the header leaking and on and off many times then finding this looking for the leak
IMG_6209.JPG
Thats the #6 tube hitting the intake. Took over 3 weeks to just get a rma#. Put old exhaust back on no leak.The rollers of course hit the oil baffle in the vc. Don't bother trying to clearance the oil baffle. I ended up removing the baffle and then sucked up oil in the intake.So I bought a Dorman vc, then a spacer from Cleggs which I could not get to seal no matter what. I then bought a Crown vc which is taller which works with rollers. The vc only has 2 baffles that are screwed in so I locktited them and opened the hold down holes to fit the oem grommets, but it seals as of now. I also am fighting a cold start up lifter noise now and have changed the lifters twice since cam install. Yesterday I changed the STP oil filter that was pushed as free to Mopar and I think that is fixed, so I would not put a STP oil filter on. Here is some pic's. LOL
IMG_6198.JPG
IMG_6247.JPG
IMG_6249.JPG
IMG_6248.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6249.JPG
    IMG_6249.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_6247.JPG
    IMG_6247.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_6198.JPG
    IMG_6198.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_6209.JPG
    IMG_6209.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 587
Replaced my ignition cylinder with a new dorman cylinder kit. new kit came with new tumblers (which I used) and keys (which I tossed). all in all, about 15 minutes of work.

occasionally ill need a coworker to move the jeep at work and sometimes ill find the radio is on and the key is out of the cylinder. I know my key is good, dealer cut a replacement off the vin last summer. low and behold I realized if I improperly removed the key before pushing the plunger I could pull it out too. so I figured it was time to do the tumblers.

its a easy job. luckily my model year had a hole in the plastic cover under the column you could push the release button on for the ignition cylinder and simply just pull it out with the key in the on position.

after its pulled from the column theres a bit of a trick to get the inner cylinder with the tumblers out of the outer cylinder but its as simple as pushing a pin in with a knife and viola the inner pulls right out. (inner left, outer right, center bottom are the tumblers and springs) this is the original cylinder shown here after soapy water, it was full of black tar like gunk and grit.
View attachment 287148

And when comparing old tumblers (top) to new tumbler (bottom) you can make out the wear. they were ground away over the near 200k miles of use. I circled the common wear spot on one of the old ones but all three of the originals show wear. out of the 8 tumblers, 6 were worn with a grove.
View attachment 287150

This kit did not provide any lubricants of any sort unlike a ford dorman kit I did earlier this year where it was supplied.
from what Im assuming, the ford kit had steel tumblers which required grease but it is also in a enclosed cab. whereas brass in this jeep kit is a softer metal "self lubricating" and is in a open to the elements environment with more dirt and dust therefore you wouldn't want grease packed inside collecting dirt. maybe.
Now you got me wanting to do mine, I can pull the key out sometimes the radio is still on.

Reactions: Moglocker
They turned out really well. I got this paint but have just been waiting until the next time I need to take the dash apart.
Your paint choice looks like a good option.

Getting to the cluster is super easy as you know, and I had no issues with the tabs when opening the cover.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.