What did you do to your TJ today?

Tinted my lights
2728B82A-C5B3-412A-930A-E2BC77B5203D.jpeg

Well in the past few days anyway... Owning a machine shop has it's privileges. I wanted to make my own almost flush LED tail lights. So I bought some LED lights,designed a housing, programed it then made them. Today I installed them. I will do a full right up on them in a few days. Here are some photos. The word OZZY is because I named the Jeep after My favorite Rocker! These are the tail lights. I also have an extra pair without the word Ozzy on them 6061-T^ Al. Hard anodized Black if anyone is interested. View attachment 26549 View attachment 26550 View attachment 26551 View attachment 26552

What rear corner guards are those? I love the black diamond plate look

I've been busy getting my TJR up to speed with some missing components and some 100K mile maintenance items. I decided to do a headlamp swap with some Vison-X (Vortex) LEDs, some small (but bright) square Vision-X LEDs on the rear, and two Vision-X 4.7 G2 “Canons” on the bumper:

DQTavw1.jpg

zujx6Ik.jpg

The headlamps are pretty cool with the daytime running light halo rings (13w).

I currently have the canons wired up to my stock fog lamp switch - I may add some real fog lamps down the road (with something that's actually street legal).

For the rears, I bought a pretty crappy switch that was suppose to fit nicely in the stock switch panel, probably going to change that out with something better soon. I have an aux SPDT switch that I installed that isn't doing anything at the moment - I will probably rewire the rear LEDs to it for an ON | OFF | REV setup, I already have most of the wiring setup for it and just need to tap the line to my relay.

nqL2nVj.jpg

Mechanically, I got busy changing out my front upper / lower ball joints and knuckles. It wasn't as much work as I thought that it would be, but I don't plan on doing them again any time soon.

I had engine code P0301 fire twice. I pulled the spark plug from the first cylinder and wound up replacing them all with some Autolite XP's. I also bought and installed a new (Mopar) coil rail (it was nice that the entire rail only cost the price of a single coil on my '11 M3!, which I have had to replace all 8 of this last year).

Changed my oil from 5w30 Mobile 1 HM to Rotella T5 10w30, a full coolant flush, transmission oil, and diffs (Lube Lockers are my new best friend!).

Fresh coats of paint on my suspension and some general body maintenance / rust prevention.

It was a long couple of weeks, I'm sure that I'm leaving a lot out...

Last edited:
Mechanically, I got busy changing out my front upper / lower ball joints and knuckles. It wasn't as much work as I thought that it would be, but I don't plan on doing them again any time soon.
How long did a job like this take you roughly? Any special tools required?
This is something I need to do but have never done before, and i've been wondering if its something I might be able to do myself.

This is something I need to do but have never done before, and i've been wondering if its something I might be able to do myself.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-ball-joint-replacement.281/

"
Special Tools
I highly, highly suggest purchasing these tools when doing your ball joints. These tools will make the job so much easier (not an exaggeration either)!
"

installed heated seats today...great timing as first snow hit, switches look factory. Also installed fog/directional stalk to add fog light switch, now I can finally put my dash back together (also added led lights and new radio)

Where dis you find heated seats?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Yes, follow the link above that @JamesAndTheSahara just posted. It’s the one that I used as my primary guide.

I bought both ball joint kits and used the Spicers for my Dana 44. It took me a full day and part of a second day to get the job done - mind you I have pretty severe A.D.D. and my buddy distracted the hell out of me most of the time that I was working (I broke a new $75 Proto 1/2” drive socket wrench in the process, using it instead of my 1/2” breaker bar on one of the ball joints). You’ll DEFINITELY want to use a breaker bar with a cheater bar that fits over it to give you extra leverage!

I’d also use that opportunity to do any rust prevention and paint if you feel you need to. Everything is off at that point, I’m a little OCD so I did take some time to clean up normally hard to get to spots that were getting nasty.

My last bit of advice is take your time. When you have the ball joint receivers and spacers in the clamp, you’ll want to only go a 1/2 to 3/4’s of a turn at a time and gauge the ball joints’ progress. Make the appropriate adjustments to your fittings along the way. Don’t rush it!!!

Edit: P.S. - I wound up paying for an alignment after getting mine wrong 3-4 times. I was close, but their machine showed that my left wheel was toe in way too far.

Reactions: EJD