What did you do to your TJ today?

Well, it would appear that everything that glitters is not gold. My Craigslist purchase of a "new/used" set of OME 2" lift HD springs isn't quite what it was advertised to be. Yes, they appear as-new. Still have the tags/labels on the springs. Hell, they even arrived in the original boxes. Unfortunately, with the part numbers being 2932 and 2941, they are not the HD springs, which is what he advertised. I have to say there is a certain level of disappointment, here. I'll contact the seller and let him know. I genuinely believe it was an honest mistake on his part (or I'm just gullible...one or the other). He said the springs had been sitting in his shop in their original boxes for about a year, so I can easily see someone forgetting the details. Be that as it may, I now have a set of the Light Duty OME 2" lift springs in my possession. What now? Original plan was for aftermarket front bumper and winch, and run 31" tires. The winch will likely be the final upgrade, so it could be a year or so down the road. Should I just run the LD springs for now? I think @glwood is running this setup. How do you like it? My rig is a '98 Sahara with hardtop 4.0 and 5 spd. Opinions welcome. Advice considered. Donations accepted! ;) "caveat emptor"
I do run those exact springs. I agonized over which to buy for a couple of months, due to the fact that at the time I had no aftermarket additions, with the exception of the Body Armor rails. I couldn't justify getting the HD springs, I thought they would be too much for my Jeep. In the end I went LD, and even with my Dirtworx front and rear bumpers (which I added months after I put on the OME, and the measurements after mounting bumpers did not vary from before), and the hardtop, running 265/75-16 tires, the height is fine. I did add 3/4" spring spacers, however, for that much more lift. Wasn't necessary, I just wanted to. Here's a photo I took last week:
IMG_0299[1].JPG

It doesn't look spectacular, like a lot of the TJs on here, but it rides and looks just as I wanted/needed. The only thing that would improve on what I have is some better tires, but load range C tires in a 16" wheel size are hard to come by. Duratracs are one...

Also, I have no drive line issues, ie. vibrations, of any sort with this setup. There's a very slight perception of harmonic issues around 55 mph, but that is attributed to the larger tires with the automatic transmission/engine rpm, which would most likely be solved with an axle re-gear. Stupid overdrive ratio...

@Squatch, I would run those springs with 31" tires in a minute. I have even considered, when getting new tires, going back to the 245/75-16 size my Rubicon came with, and removing the 3/4" spring spacers. The stock Rubicon setup is looking better and better to me the older I get. I only wish I had put on the LD OME springs prior to getting rid of the original size tires, just for a comparison...

Last edited:
@JamesAndTheSahara Get the Bestop cloth doors, usually dirt cheap on Clist. Then buy the sheet metal from PS and you have $150 or so in half doors. I’m waitin to install the sheet metal on my soft door frames now.
I’m a weird one but I want the factory white doors with spice interior panels. Want to be able to carry the uppers. I would like to see some photos of your finished product.

I do run those exact springs. I agonized over which to buy for a couple of months, due to the fact that at the time I had no aftermarket additions, with the exception of the Body Armor rails. I couldn't justify getting the HD springs, I thought they would be too much for my Jeep. In the end I went LD, and even with my Dirtworx front and rear bumpers (which I added months after I put on the OME, and the measurements after mounting bumpers did not vary from before), and the hardtop, running 265/75-16 tires, the height is fine. I did add 3/4" spring spacers, however, for that much more lift. Wasn't necessary, I just wanted to. Here's a photo I took last week:
View attachment 30633
It doesn't look spectacular, like a lot of the TJs on here, but it rides and looks just as I wanted/needed. The only thing that would improve on what I have is some better tires, but load range C tires in a 16" wheel size are hard to come by. Duratracs are one...

Also, I have no drive line issues, ie. vibrations, of any sort with this setup. There's a very slight perception of harmonic issues around 55 mph, but that is attributed to the larger tires with the automatic transmission/engine rpm, which would most likely be solved with an axle re-gear. Stupid overdrive ratio...

@Squatch, I would run those springs with 31" tires in a minute. I have even considered, when getting new tires, going back to the 245/75-16 size my Rubicon came with, and removing the 3/4" spring spacers. The stock Rubicon setup is looking better and better to me the older I get. I only wish I had put on the LD OME springs prior to getting rid of the original size tires, just for a comparison...
Thanks for all the input, @glwood and @Ranger_b0b. So, just as you two had me convinced that the LD springs were going to be just fine, the plot thickened. :rolleyes: I contacted the seller, and let him know of the error. Very pleasant fellow, so I treated him in kind. Well, he kind of chuckled, and explained that the boxes he shipped them in are not the original boxes, as I had assumed. He said that if I run the numbers that are on the factory tags on the springs, I will find that they are, indeed, the HD springs I so desire. Ummmm...oops! Man, am I glad I approached the issue with some manner of civility, because I would have looked like a real ass once he pointed out that little piece of information. Anyways, we had a good laugh over it, so it's all good. In fact, I ended up discussing the possibility of him fabricating a front bumper that resembles the Currie V-bumper for me. He looked up an image of it, and said to give him a week to look into it and crunch some numbers, and he'd give me a call back. So it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Thanks for all the input, @glwood and @Ranger_b0b. So, just as you two had me convinced that the LD springs were going to be just fine, the plot thickened. :rolleyes: I contacted the seller, and let him know of the error. Very pleasant fellow, so I treated him in kind. Well, he kind of chuckled, and explained that the boxes he shipped them in are not the original boxes, as I had assumed. He said that if I run the numbers that are on the factory tags on the springs, I will find that they are, indeed, the HD springs I so desire. Ummmm...oops! Man, am I glad I approached the issue with some manner of civility, because I would have looked like a real ass once he pointed out that little piece of information. Anyways, we had a good laugh over it, so it's all good. In fact, I ended up discussing the possibility of him fabricating a front bumper that resembles the Currie V-bumper for me. He looked up an image of it, and said to give him a week to look into it and crunch some numbers, and he'd give me a call back. So it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Custom made bumper huh....very flash.lol Great news on the springs though.

Reactions: Squatch
Good news on your springs!
Look forward to see if he can make a bumper for you. Good luck!

Not that it matters now, I run the HD in front and the LD in the rear on my Jeep. I have the extra set of HD's because I originally bought the HD kit, but since I have no weight in the rear it lifted it almost 4 inches in the rear. I had to drop the transfer case it was kind of a mess in my case. I had to take out the rear spacers and put light duty springs to get it closer to level. I ended being able to remove the transfer case drop in the end. Honestly it gave me over a 2inch rake.

That said nobody else had the same issues I have so I am curious to see how yours turns out please keep us posted with pics?

Just catching up on all that’s been going on! Interesting story. Good call. Worked out well, and possibly a bumper in the works. Neat end to a close call!

Not that it matters now, I run the HD in front and the LD in the rear on my Jeep. I have the extra set of HD's because I originally bought the HD kit, but since I have no weight in the rear it lifted it almost 4 inches in the rear. I had to drop the transfer case it was kind of a mess in my case. I had to take out the rear spacers and put light duty springs to get it closer to level. I ended being able to remove the transfer case drop in the end. Honestly it gave me over a 2inch rake.

That said nobody else had the same issues I have so I am curious to see how yours turns out please keep us posted with pics?
I seem to recall following all that. Lots of suggestions were flowing about what the cure might be, if I'm not mistaken. It seemed odd to me that no one else had experienced the extreme rake issue to the extent that you had (this is all running off the supposition on my part that it was actually your rig I'm thinking about...). Anyways, if I found myself having to replace the rear HD springs with LD ones to eliminate an extreme rake, then so be it. If that's the worst thing in life that's ever happened to me, then I'm doing alright, ya know? It's all just "First-World Problems", in the grand scheme of things. Takes a lot more than that to bring me down! ;)

If the rear is too high, just throw a couple hundred pounds of dumbells in the back (no, not me, though I may be a dumbell!).

Reactions: CodaMan
If the rear is too high, just throw a couple hundred pounds of dumbells in the back (no, not me, though I may be a dumbell!).
LOL Back in my youth, that was the po' boy's way of lowering our rides, baby! Though it was usually something like bags of Quikrete, not dumbbells. Heaven help you if you had a leaky trunk seal on a rainy night! Anyways, we got 'em low, but it made 'em slow! ;)

Reactions: JMT
Thanks for all the input, @glwood and @Ranger_b0b.I ended up discussing the possibility of him fabricating a front bumper that resembles the Currie V-bumper for me. He looked up an image of it, and said to give him a week to look into it and crunch some numbers, and he'd give me a call back. So it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Like I said before... lf you need any bumper photos or measurements, let me know.

Reactions: Chris and Squatch