What did you do to your TJ today?

My dad loved Halloween , he would sit out on the porch with a big bowl of candy and all the kids in the neighborhood would come by to see Uncle Jack as they would call him. He really got a kick out of it. Those were good times before people got so evil !

This is more of what my TJ did to me this morning. BMB rotor and pads will be ordered after I inspect the damage at my garage.

1667396876437.png

Before you ask, the lug nuts were torqued to spec weeks ago. I have no explanation as to what caused this.

This is more of what my TJ did to me this morning. BMB rotor and pads will be ordered after I inspect the damage at my garage.

View attachment 372689

Before you ask, the lug nuts were torqued to spec weeks ago. I have no explanation as to what caused this.

Could have been worse

qx9g20.gif

View attachment 372689

You mention that the nuts were torqued to spec weeks ago but were they retorqued about 50 miles later. Alloy rims need retorqued. I found out the hard way with my first set of alloys. Chevy 1/2 ton with camper and car trailer hauling my cj5 at 70mph on I90. Felt a little vibration and next thing I know is the back of the truck dropped and I see my driver's rear tire pass me like a bat out of hell. Took me about 1500 ft to come to a stop. Started in the right lane and ended on the left shoulder. Didn’t hit anyone, tire didn't hit anything, brake drum didn't hit anything but ended up on the far side of the opposing lanes. Every time I hit the brakes it would hook left so it was a lot of on and off the brakes and a lot of sawing on the steering wheel to keep from rolling the whole thing. Les Shwab torqued the wheels and failed to inform me the alloys would need retorqued. They paid for all the repairs. So incase anyone missed it, RETORQUE YOUR ALLOYS!!!

You mention that the nuts were torqued to spec weeks ago but were they retorqued about 50 miles later. Alloy rims need retorqued. I found out the hard way with my first set of alloys. Chevy 1/2 ton with camper and car trailer hauling my cj5 at 70mph on I90. Felt a little vibration and next thing I know is the back of the truck dropped and I see my driver's rear tire pass me like a bat out of -. Took me about 1500 ft to come to a stop. Started in the right lane and ended on the left shoulder. Didn’t hit anyone, tire didn't hit anything, brake drum didn't hit anything but ended up on the far side of the opposing lanes. Every time I hit the brakes it would hook left so it was a lot of on and off the brakes and a lot of sawing on the steering wheel to keep from rolling the whole thing. Les Shwab torqued the wheels and failed to inform me the alloys would need retorqued. They paid for all the repairs. So incase anyone missed it, RETORQUE YOUR ALLOYS!!!

That is some good advice. I have never heard to re-torque specifically for alloy wheels. I have done that with all of my suspension component replacements, but not for wheels.

Changed the oil. Took the windows back out cause it’s sunny and 75°, and probably the rest of the week is the same. Took the wife and dog to Dairy Queen for ice cream.
Tomorrow I think I’ll rotate the tires, grease all the joints, enjoy the windows being out and go to the liquor store and get ready for the weekend😁

While the transmission was out I took a stab at putting in some DEI tunnel shield. Nothing but bedliner top and bottom on this Jeep. Top side coat was reasonably think but this bottom side was a piss coat. Started scraping it off with a razor blade then got out the flappy disk...took it to bare metal, two coats of primer, then flat black and the shielding. Heater running because it's 39 degrees out. Transmission from Novak should be here this afternoon. Might be driving sans pouring transmission fluid by tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_20221102_131719580.jpg

-Mac

This fuse box on my 97 looks like the box used on a Cherokee , has a couple of wires that had some after market device that have been clipped and the cover laying there will not snap back on as something is broken off . That powers the box and has a cable that runs to the Alt. with a fuse link wire designed to burn up in an overload.
So going to be a real nub of a 1/2" round piece of wire there and my new fuse between the new wire running to the Alt. out the other way. So the other positive wire will go to the starter. Not going to take much wire to do the positive side, that's why I just bought all black wire. I have red shrink wrap to seal the lugs on the ends of the wire so it will obvious which are the positive.

" Now here is the BIG question "

All you TJ guru's is the big battery terminals have covers that don't have room to have but two of those big wires coming out and I do want to use them and have things neat.
So I have a winch and I was thinking of running the positive to the stud on the fuse box stud where the short cable powers the box rather than to the terminal , is this a bad idea ???
On the Neg. side one wire to the block then block to fender and have the ground to the winch on the neg. batt. terminal.
Also on the other side of the block there is a ground to the firewall , putting a 1ga. wire there of course ! I think the large neg. wire block to batt. and block to fender and firewall will take care of the ground just fine.

Do you think I should just try somehow to snake the pos. winch wire into the batt. terminal ??? That third wire will be a crowd but I am worried about maybe not good to not have a direct connection to the battery.

1667419275786.png