What did you do to your TJ today?

Don’t think I’ll be installing my rear bumper frame tie-ins tomorrow…
E00E8FCF-84DA-437A-B9BE-C04520EBDF4E.jpeg

(This is celcius btw)

I also checked partial function of my EVAP Purge Valve. I unplugged its power and the connector leading to the canister. I started the engine and checked for vacuum on the open connector. Felt none.

Evidently that means it's not stuck open, correct?

Grabbed a couple last-minute shopping items today and when I came out I was greeted by a guy in a pick up admiring the Jeep……. he looked at the top down and doors off and then said that he thought this was owned by a younger guy 😂😂😂
‘Young at heart mate ! ‘ I told him. (cheeky bugger)

Currently +9F in north Dallas area. I prefer my temperatures to be stored as unsigned INTs, but this week the sign is necessary.

Remember that Cherokee transmission I rebuilt for my friend? Yeah, it's still leaking fluid. We dropped it today (in the semi-heated garage, thankfully) and found that the pump seal had worked it's way halfway out. I know we seated it properly, so something made it walk out. I have a theory that involves missing locating dowels on the block/bellhousing and a missing pump bushing.

Missing pump bushing? But you said you rebuilt it! Yes. Yes I did say that. And when I went through the pump I carefully inspected each brass bushing, and they all looked great. What I didn't look for is bushings that were supposed to be there but weren't. And the pump support bushing was MIA.

So between the missing dowels no perfectly locating the transmission, and the pump support bushing not being there to support the bushing, my theory is that there was enough axial play to tear up the last seal (the precipitating event for the rebuild) and then cause this one to get pulled out slightly. It's only going to cost $16 + ATF + time/effort to test the theory. The counter point to my theory is that we drove that jeep for 2 years like a rental with insurance, all the while it was missing those dowels and that bushing.

So why did it just start causing a problem? Like Kobe Bryant famously said, "I wish we knew."

said that he thought this was owned by a younger guy 😂😂😂
I got the same comment when I picked up my Jeep from the mechanic the other day. The 35 year old girl working at the counter said she noticed my license plate and thought a young kid owned it. I told her I've been a lost cause since I was a young kid. :cool:
Rubi 12 18 22.jpg

Currently +9F in north Dallas area. I prefer my temperatures to be stored as unsigned INTs, but this week the sign is necessary.

Remember that Cherokee transmission I rebuilt for my friend? Yeah, it's still leaking fluid. We dropped it today (in the semi-heated garage, thankfully) and found that the pump seal had worked it's way halfway out. I know we seated it properly, so something made it walk out. I have a theory that involves missing locating dowels on the block/bellhousing and a missing pump bushing.

Missing pump bushing? But you said you rebuilt it! Yes. Yes I did say that. And when I went through the pump I carefully inspected each brass bushing, and they all looked great. What I didn't look for is bushings that were supposed to be there but weren't. And the pump support bushing was MIA.

So between the missing dowels no perfectly locating the transmission, and the pump support bushing not being there to support the bushing, my theory is that there was enough axial play to tear up the last seal (the precipitating event for the rebuild) and then cause this one to get pulled out slightly. It's only going to cost $16 + ATF + time/effort to test the theory. The counter point to my theory is that we drove that jeep for 2 years like a rental with insurance, all the while it was missing those dowels and that bushing.

So why did it just start causing a problem? Like Kobe Bryant famously said, "I wish we knew."

Sometimes its just easer to write the check on certain items for me, I can work on/rebuild anything on these jeeps but I don't try to rebuild an auto transmission because of situations like this. A competent auto transmission man would have spotted that right away.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I got it started which should account for something. Went out to warm it up at 5:30 this morning at 3* and it said hell no. Finally started after the second try but had a horrid squeal from under the hood. After looking around I'm afraid it's the bearings on the alternator. Regardless, I made it to work on time.