What did you do to your TJ today?

Watched that and the only thing that bothered me about it was pulling on the ball of the hitch. Those things have pulled out and killed people, very dangerous thing to do.

We didn't...I didn't let them...they started to rig that way and then I grabbed my receiver with a hole in it off my TJ...carry it just for that reason...ran one of Mr. B's soft shackle through it and pulled with that.

IMG20221225200224.jpg

-Mac

We didn't...I didn't let them...they started to rig that way and then I grabbed my receiver with a hole in it off my TJ...carry it just for that reason...ran a soft shackle through it and pulled with that.

-Mac

That was an interesting recovery. I wouldn't have known enough to have done it the way you did - I probably would have made the situation worse!

• Haha
Reactions: RINC
That was an interesting recovery. I wouldn't have known enough to have done it the way you did - I probably would have made the situation worse!

Allen lead most of the recovery...my first instinct was to drive past the truck...we all talked it out and went with Allen...guy in the ski bib...Allen's suggestion to use a snatch block off the trees.

My cell phone recorded about 30 minutes of video...so it took about 45m to get the truck out and up the hill while bottle feeding the radiator.

-Mac

Allen lead most of the recovery...my first instinct was to drive past the truck...we all talked it out and went with Allen...guy in the ski bib...Allen's suggestion to use a snatch block off the trees.

My cell phone recorded about 30 minutes of video...so it took about 45m to get the truck out and up the hill while bottle feeding the radiator.

-Mac

So what was up with the cooling system? I heard something about a freeze plug?

Reactions: RINC
So what was up with the cooling system? I heard something about a freeze plug?

That was one thought...it appeared that all the water was coming out between the block and the water pump. Really will take a full dissection to get a cause... maybe...my money is the wrong RTV and no gasket was used to install the water pump and when they overheated the truck a couple nights before the recovery it cooked out the RTV. Lots to speculate about. I might find out from Jo in a couple of weeks when they take it apart...I think it was a 5.2 Mopar V-8...maybe a 5.7...dont know my 2000 Dodge trucks well enough. Some of you folks probably have swapped that engine into your Jeeps. I don't think it was the V-10.

-Mac

Reactions: RINC and Zorba

-Mac
I was not talking about snapping the ball off the thing put in the receiver I'm talking about the pin holding the whole piece in snapping and that big chunk of steel flying out.
The snatch block was a saving grace because if that pin snapped like I have seen them do that big block of steel would not be headed for your windshield . Good job getting it out and nobody hurt , people don't realize how dangerous this can be. Never good to pull on anything slipped into a hitch , I know of one person killed doing it and I bet there have been many others. That was smart using the solid block in the hitch that was the right piece but be aware those pins can shear even though not likely. Just everyone be careful pulling yourself or someone out , use the right equipment and use common since.

Last edited:
I was not talking about snapping the ball off the thing put in the receiver I'm talking about the pin holding the whole piece in snapping and that big chunk of steel flying out.
Wouldn't you have to shear the pin in two places for something to come flying out? I would think the receiver or bumper would fail long before the typical 5/8" pin.
Never good to pull on anything slipped into a hitch
Warn, and about every other recovery equipment manufacturer, disagrees.

new tool(nutsert) allowed me to get the side steps on i found on CL installed-for the wife's benefit since the lift install. Also finished swapping in the electric fan(no more mechanical), seat risers, new third brake light and a proper "road" test to test it all out.

View attachment 387149

Now you should think about getting some decent tires!

new tool(nutsert) allowed me to get the side steps on i found on CL installed-for the wife's benefit since the lift install. Also finished swapping in seat risers,
So, you added side steps to help your wife get in and then raised the seats so she couldn't? Very (Dem-like) sneaky. ;)

Last edited:
Now you should think about getting some decent tires!

Tires on it are from 2011-spare is from 2005. So Very much thinking about that! But the cost of all 5 is a chunk-o-change- waiting for the BFG’s to come up in the Costco “sale” rotation and hopefully that aligns with my cash situation 😄

So, you added side steps to help your wife get in and then raised the seats so she couldn't? Very (Dem-like) sneaky. ;)

Crack me up, I had that very thought. I left the spacers off the passenger side- but only for the moment…. She hasn't had a chance to tryout the side step, once I get that approval I will mess with her. 👍(I could name it the Pelosi maneuver?)

My wife asked Santa for a seat heater, so I bought a kit from Bartact and got it installed over the last three days. Very pleased with the results.

While I was at it, I found and fixed the "tumble" problem in the driver's seat. The issue was inside the lever housing. One of the two cables (the black one) had been pulled up through the flimsy little plastic bits that normally retain it.

IMG_E7032.JPG

View attachment 387183
Old role cage pads were purple from years in the sun.
Black marine grade cord - $29 vs. new role bar pad kid at $200+.
Doin a little fancy work, why not.
Thank you for posting this. I pulled my roll cage pads off too and have been looking for a solution other than a new foam kit. I am going to follow your footsteps but I have no idea how you did that fancy threading!

EDIT: You braided your steering wheel too. You're a braiding zen master it seems. Time to hit youTube to see if I can find some tutorials.

Last edited:
My first genuine Mopar part !! It’s a cam plug for the block. To get the Enginetech brand you had to buy 10 which was like $12 or you could buy single Mopar plugs for $2 and some change lol I also got a new rear main seal and a new radiator cap and idler / tensioner pulleys. The first nice day since the big freeze and I spent it installing a 12” subwoofer and an amp in my wife’s car instead of working on the TJ. She’s happy with her new Christmas present though so that counts for something lol

B1A79C78-B9BE-46B2-9E21-7ED833C34BE7.jpeg

1244031B-8C8F-4836-ADD3-4BE634E7F314.jpeg

4DAC097E-9962-43CB-AED2-16C20A8D5A74.jpeg

-Picked up a 3/8” to 1/2” adapter and sensor socket yesterday so I could torque my oil sending unit today (went to 13ft lbs; I’m particular about torque specs)
-Bolted on my new Hella 500 fogs, only for looks right now haha, gotta get the time to wire them in
-May also touch up a few paint chips on the hardtop today…

15794B28-AFDA-40FE-9226-C8C69312C6EB.jpeg

Gotta say the fogs themselves improve the looks a lot, once I’ve got the tow hooks on I may even end up deciding a new front bumper would be an unnecessary $500 spent.
I don’t do any kind of real wheeling, and certainly no crawling so maybe a new bumper would be a… dare I say it… waste?
Now I’ll be pondering whether I should cross a front bumper off the list :cry: