What did you do to your TJ today?

I just took the thermostat housing off for the 3rd time. It was sitting properly this time. I ended up going and getting a different thermostat housing in case the one that I got was bad. I'll try again tomorrow.

This is frustrating.

Does the gasket have a bead of silicone on it? If so it needs to be facing the housing. Also if you can post pictures it may help?

Did you clean the engine block and where the thermostat sits, and by clean, really really clean it before you put on the new gasket? Make sure the new T stat hosing is perfectly flat and not warped, You may need a dab of RTV to make sure the T stat isn’t sliding down and the bolts should also be tightened evenly.

Last resort, and you *shouldn't need it, but you wouldn’t be the first one here to use some waterpump RTV Permatex 22071 Water Pump and Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket, 0.5 oz., 0.5 Ounce , blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TQW60/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yep, completely clean, flat, and smooth that I could tell with my finger. Used a scraper to get most of it off. Then, I took a glass scraper to get all the tiny bits off. It felt super smooth whenever I was putting it back on.

I'll use RTV or something to keep the thermostat in place tomorrow. I also got a new housing to see if the 1st housing was warped.

Reactions: chili_pepper
You may need a dab of RTV to make sure the T stat isn’t sliding down and the bolts should also be tightened evenly

then used 3/8" rtv sealant top and bottom in the groove. Let sit for about 15 mins to hold it before I bolted the housing back on

Now that I think about it, I believe I used a bit of sealant to stick mine in place.

This is frustrating.

Sometimes can be, but stick with it. Once you get it and it doesn't leak, you'll feel that much better in doing the job on your own. Sometimes it helps to walk away for a bit, clear the head. I've sent many a hand tool into low earth orbit because I didn't take a breather. Overall, I've actually found working on my first and recently acquired Jeep LJ somewhat refreshing, everything is fairly large and easy to access (except maybe the heater core).

Last edited:
The T-stat housings are notorious for coplanarity issues. If you have a flat enough surface - like a stone countertop - you can check it. If it rocks, it isn't flat. You can "try" to sand it flat, but the real solution is to have it milled flat. With that said, I simply glopped both sides of the gasket with good ol' #2 Permatex and no more leaks. YMMV and all that.

I had to step away for the night. I'll try again tomorrow. I'll check both thermostat housings that I have for flatness, I've been using Fel Pro gaskets, I'll clean out area that the t-stat sits, and do basically everything that everynoe has recommended in this thread.

But now, I'm going to have a beer and Chinese food.

Now that I think about it, I believe I used a bit of sealant to stick mine in place.

Sometimes can be, but stick with it. Once you get it and it doesn't leak, you'll feel that much better in doing the job on your own. Sometimes it helps to walk away for a bit, clear the head. I've sent many a hand tool into low earth orbit because I did take a breather. Overall, I've actually found working on my first and recently acquired Jeep LJ somewhat refreshing, everything is fairly large and easy to access (except maybe the heater core).

I gotta replace the heater core too. I'm not looking forward to that.

I bought this Jeep as a project and to learn how to work on vehicles. I Was having a blast today right up until the 2nd seating of the thermostat housing leaked again.

IMG_0803.jpeg

I installed these seats today. The driver side has the +4” and I’m just about to hit the roll bar while sitting in them.

It sounds like the 03-06 seats sit lower than the 97-02. Does anyone know if it all because of the bracket height? I might swap them out if that’s the case. Not sure how to lower the seat otherwise.

To top it off, after I got everything put back together, I made the poor assumption that everything would work fine. So I filled up the cooling system with Thermocure and distilled water to clean out the rust in it. Since it was leaking, there is not diluted Thermocure everything. That shit is strong!

• Sad
Reactions: John Cooper
I gotta replace the heater core too. I'm not looking forward to that.

I bought this Jeep as a project and to learn how to work on vehicles. I Was having a blast today right up until the 2nd seating of the thermostat housing leaked again.

Have a second beer. That'll make it all better. 😁

I Was having a blast today right up until the 2nd seating of the thermostat housing leaked again.

Try to keep this mantra in your head, "Challenge not a chore". Say it through gritted teeth if you have to, but if you try to keep the mindset that this is something you want to do and you will succeed at it, as opposed to something that is making you dread your next breath....well, it might help... ;)

I bought this Jeep as a project and to learn how to work on vehicles.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Too little of people working with their hands these days IMHO. Gaining the knowledge of how to fix something with some tools, your brain and your own hands is empowering.

Try to keep this mantra in your head, "Challenge not a chore". Say it through gritted teeth if you have to, but if you try to keep the mindset that this is something you want to do and you will succeed at it, as opposed to something that is making you dread your next breath....well, it might help... ;)

Nothing wrong with that at all. Too little of people working with their hands these days IMHO. Gaining the knowledge of how to fix something with some tools, your brain and your own hands is empowering.

I work in IT so I'm behind a screen all damn day long. I bought this so I can get my hands dirty and not be behind a screen. I'm enjoying the hell out of this, until stuff doesn't work.

I work in IT so I'm behind a screen all damn day long. I bought this so I can get my hands dirty and not be behind a screen. I'm enjoying the hell out of this, until stuff doesn't work.
I know it can be frustrating but relax and try to learn from this. Not just learn how to change a water pump, but the entire experience. It may take a few tries but figuring it out will give you tremendous confidence to delve in to other far more frustrating Jeep repair tasks.

He drove for the first time in 2 years!

Got him buttoned up for a first drive this morning. He was a little sketchy to drive. Definite alignment issue (complete adjustable suspension installed, new steering). He was twitchy, floaty, and dodgy - taking every road bounce as a want to steer the Jeep.

I know the rear track bar @ axle isn't torque b/c it stripped at final depth and stuck there (wouldn't reverse off). I welded the nut in place while the replacement is in the mail (ordered Fri night) so I could drive the first time.

Took a pic of his first meal in 2 years...
PXL_20230722_171236769.jpg

Took him over for a 40-mile roundtrip (backroads) to get the emissions test completed so MD doesn't cancel my registration. PASS! Gov is off my back!

It was white-knuckle driving. Took it slow and got there and back. Really need to get the alignment issue figured out. But he drives (barely).

In all the sketchiness of the test & emission test drive, I didn't get any action shots of him out and about other than the above but here he is with a lot more buttoned up.
  • Rear fenders
  • Closed off front fender vents
  • Driver mirror
  • Turn signals work

PXL_20230722_232904357.jpg

Need to spend some time out of the garage as my wife has been carrying the weight of the twin 1-year olds while I spent every hour I could to get the Jeep driving to meet the 02 Aug deadline for emissions. Cleared it so now I'm being called back to kid care service.

I still want some topless/doorless days this summer so I'll find some time to get in the garage to chase alignment issues to make him more manageable.

Not just today, but today and the past 2 days after work resulted in going from this:

View attachment 443631

To this:

View attachment 443634

Tomorrow I have to install the SwayLoc and winch and get spacers so I can put the spare tire on it.

The wheels are a kind of different take on a classic style slot mag. I went with them because they were the only alloy wheel I could find in 15x7 with between 4.25 and 4.5" of backspacing. I'm probably pulling the tires off the Ravines, selling the tires, and hoarding the Ravines. I would have stuck with the OEM wheels, but I don't really care for 10.5" wide tires on 8" wide wheels.

Yessir, I guess I did.

I don't know what else to try with that particular thermostat housing. Everything feels tight, yet it still leaks.

The aftermarket pot metal stuff they make for our Jeeps these days just isn't the best quality. You could clean up the old housing if there are no blatant holes in it.