What did you do to your TJ today?

Put my top back up and the 1/2 door uppers in, since it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
20230802_185722.jpg

Pretty sure that I need a new radiator. This is the Jeep that sat in a garage for 3 years. I think there's too much rust on the inside that it is just a matter of time before this one goes out. I basically did this Thermocure flush and got clear water to drain out. I was about to do 4 flushes of distilled water, but I checked the top of the radiator knowing that there is nothing but water in there. And I found a rusted mess.

IMG_3817.jpg

So, what does the hive mind think? Should I just go ahead and get a new radiator?

Pretty sure that I need a new radiator. This is the Jeep that sat in a garage for 3 years. I think there's too much rust on the inside that it is just a matter of time before this one goes out. I basically did this Thermocure flush and got clear water to drain out. I was about to do 4 flushes of distilled water, but I checked the top of the radiator knowing that there is nothing but water in there. And I found a rusted mess.

View attachment 446552

So, what does the hive mind think? Should I just go ahead and get a new radiator?

From that photo, I'm not convinced much of any liquid is passing through, certainly not with any efficiency...that core looks clogged.

After flushing out the entire cooling system with tap water, I have done 4 flushes with distilled water. It is still coming out slightly brown. I'm guessing that the rusted out radiator is just continually leaching more rust. I will be doing 1 more fill with distilled water and then circulating it. After that, I'm not touching the cooling system until I get a new radiator installed. Then, I'll do 1-2 more distilled water flushes to get out the remaining rusty water. I'll put the thermostat back in, and fill it up with radiator flood at a 50/50 mix.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Not sure if anybody else is torn like this where I know I need to work on my Jeep … but I will put up with the problem as I enjoy driving it too much I don’t want it off the road 🤔
Anyway that being said I think I fixed my dash lights last night …..again …maybe lol
It was 32 F in my garage while I was working on it with numb fingers haha

IMG_4180.jpeg

A dinosaur I must be, because nothing new really tickles my naught bits in the way something like this does....

View attachment 444205

Slim hips, 289, bare ally body and those wheels...yes please and twice on Sunday.

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

My older friend sent me photos of his 427 parked in Bakersfield from right after he got it. He said that he added the roll bar soon after.

The car was stolen from a school parking lot while he was at the AF academy.

Not sure if anybody else is torn like this where I know I need to work on my Jeep … but I will put up with the problem as I enjoy driving it too much I don’t want it off the road 🤔
Anyway that being said I think I fixed my dash lights last night …..again …maybe lol

View attachment 446622

I've had mine in the garage more than on or off road as I've built it. Almost there and then it will be my main ride. I love driving this tj.

I would recommend getting anti-freeze in there now, rather than waiting until you're ready to replace the radiator. You want rust inhibitors in the system ASAP. I recently posted why in another thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/cooling-system-cleanliness.72024/post-1370893

I got anti freeze in there now. It is only a 40/60 ratio of antifreeze/distilled water, but it's better than nothing.

This should keep the rust at bay until I can replace the radiator. Which I sorely need to do because that rusty radiator is just leaching rust everywhere. I put the coolant in the radiator and while it was burping out the air bubbles, I could see the coolant already turning slightly rust colored.

Once I get the new radiator in, I may do the entire Prestone+Thermocure process again since then I won't have a dirty radiator contaminating the entire cleaning process.

View attachment 446622

I was at the Ford dealer yesterday looking around while my van was getting some warranty work and I think I found your TJ's long lost brother.

Mail TJ.jpg

If UPS didn’t mess up….I should have my savvy shifter cable delivered today…
I tried the dumb rebuild kit for stock but it’s angled and blew up the retainer piece…

Reactions: Kiwi TJ