What did you do to your TJ today?

Over the last couple of days got the parts and the original soft top finally installed. Cleaned it, then did the protector application. It was looking a faded / stained in a few areas but it cleaned up nicely and looks good. Going to lube the zippers a little later. Since the weather is still nice (well too hot actually) I’ll probably remove the sides again, but wanted to check and make sure everything fit and worked before fall. The PO had all the parts, even the two tiny screws that mount the frame to the tabs, except the door surrounds. Now to decide what I want to do with the OEM hardtop 🤔

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

Finished up the suspension work and took Ol' Blue out for a quick test run. Went all over the worst streets in town and up and down our road. So far so good. Going out here in a bit for a short road trip to Dyersburg (about a 40 min drive one way). So far though, it's driving better than it ever has.

Anyway, I'm going to take a few days off from wrench turning and start gathering up parts for the steering.

I would have been extra impressed if you'd said "yeah, heater cores as well". :D

I'm new to these Jeeps and mentioned to a member in a PM that I wasn't going to bother with the heater core for now when overhauling my cooling system. His joking response intrigued me so I investigated replacing one. I had no clue what was involved....but the immediate clarity of vision I achieved on finding out was amazing.... :ROFLMAO:

I would have been extra impressed if you'd said "yeah, heater cores as well". :D

I'm new to these Jeeps and mentioned to a member in a PM that I wasn't going to bother with the heater core for now when overhauling my cooling system. His joking response intrigued me so I investigated replacing one. I had no clue what was involved....but the immediate clarity of vision I achieved on finding out was amazing.... :ROFLMAO:

Yes, it is like moving all of your stuff out of your closet so that you can move your mother in-law into your bedroom.

No, but cleaning the cooling system might.

When I bought this TJ in March I flushed the cooling system, replaced the hoses, tstat and cap and filled with G05. It ran perfectly with the needle in the same spot and coolant temp from 195 to 203 on the Torque app. A month ago the OEM rad split the top tank and I replaced it with a Denso. The old rad looks really clean inside. Temp ran exactly the same in the same 100+ heat. Put the winch back on and now temps in Torque are running 200 - 212 in 95f heat.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Started today working on my wife's Tacoma. Her rotors were warped so I replaced them with Centrics. Since I had half her tires off, I figured I might as well rotate them, so I did that too.
20230805_084529.jpg

Since I had all the tools out, I figured I should go ahead and rotate the Jeep's tires. While doing that, I noticed the rear pads were thin and the piston was extended pretty far. Probably explains the slight pulse I've been feeling for a few weeks when braking.
20230805_141358.jpg

Went to the auto parts store and picked up new rear pads. Figured I should go ahead and grab some oil and change it too. While I was changing the oil, I put in this drain plug my wife picked up for me. It has a hose you attach that opens a spring valve when screwed in. Should make it so I don't have to remove the skidplate next time.
20230805_132957.jpg

20230805_132444.jpg

20230805_131742.jpg

Buttoned everything up, and took both vehicles for a spin. Wife's truck doesn't shimmy anymore when braking, and I no longer feel the pulsing when the TJ is braking. All in all, it was a successful day wrenching.

The t-stat in my Jeep is out right now because I was doing a Thermocure flush. I then discovered that old radiator is just completely trashed and dirty. I got a new radiator in there now.

I'm wanting to do a Prestone+Thermocure flush again now that there is a new, clean radiator in it.

Can I run the engine for about 200-300 miles without a thermostat in it? Once I give the Prestone+Thermocure enough time to do its thing, I will drain the cooling system, completely flush it out, and then add the t-stat back in.

Any issues with leaving the t-stat out during this time?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
The t-stat in my Jeep is out right now because I was doing a Thermocure flush. I then discovered that old radiator is just completely trashed and dirty. I got a new radiator in there now.

I'm wanting to do a Prestone+Thermocure flush again now that there is a new, clean radiator in it.

Can I run the engine for about 200-300 miles without a thermostat in it? Once I give the Prestone+Thermocure enough time to do its thing, I will drain the cooling system, completely flush it out, and then add the t-stat back in.

Any issues with leaving the t-stat out during this time?

It will take longer to reach normal operating temp.

Will that cause any issues or problems? Like, long term issues or problems?

Visualize if you will, once at operating temp the t stat is wide open. The main reason for a t stat is to reach operating temp as soon as possible, especially in colder climates and once open to be as least restrictive to flow as possible.

First off, the good stuff today. Worked on the TJ sun up to sun down, new bearings, new ball joints, 4.56 gear install, lunchbox, fun times!
PXL_20230805_204900361.jpg

PXL_20230805_191940741.jpg

The issue arose when I went to swap the u-joints in the front shafts at the end of the day. Those fools were seized, I don't know how they ever articulated in the vehicle outside of sheer force. Couldn't get the rings out to press out the joint, had to shatter them. Good joints don't look like this.
PXL_20230806_030956281.jpg

Turns out when the PO of this Jeep did joints last (or had them done) the ears on the drivers side shaft (Dana 30) were bent! Gonna have to leave the shafts out so I can at least drive the 3 miles to work in 2wd until my chromoly replacements get in Tuesday.