What did you do to your TJ today?

Any recs for a new radiator? Or is Mopar the only/best way to go? What about all aluminum radiators?

I went with the crown automotive OEM style radiator. Put it in a few weeks ago and it blew up today. Left me stranded and stuck for about 2 hours till I could be rescued.

2E0AE4CC-87E5-40E6-A0ED-57A2B15A295B.jpeg

99E63A33-3836-4378-8CDD-368333FB801F.jpeg

Any recs for a new radiator? Or is Mopar the only/best way to go? What about all aluminum radiators?

I did a complete cooling system refresh just over a year ago. I went with an all aluminum 3 row rad from ebay for about 130. I've read all the bad press these rads are getting but this rad is holding up well. Highway cruising runs 195*. Crawling around on trails no higher than 210*. For 130ish I have no complaints.

I'm only a sampling of one and I don't have a lot of miles in since doing the cooling system overhaul, but I went with a Denso unit. I despise bonded, plastic tank radiators, but from the posts here and on other Jeep boards it seems no one makes a consistently reliable aluminum tank rad.

Reactions: Zorba
Cleaned up the Smittybilt XRC8 winch, winch plate and fairlead that I took off when I got the Jeep and put it back on. Dropped the front end 1/2" and raised highway coolant temp 8-10 degrees. It's a raised winch plate, would a flat one help with the temp?

20230803_162821.jpg

I heard you guys, you said more gladiator, more gladiator! You guys just can't help yourselves.

High capacity +700lb 3" AEV coils, plus a 1" spacer up front. All the better to tow the TJ with:
PXL_20230728_212725644.jpg

PXL_20230731_221056099(1).jpg

Going to have parking brakes on the TJ for the first time in a decade:
PXL_20230804_161758767.jpg

wow super servicable
PXL_20230804_162329261.jpg

Took a break to go get lunch
PXL_20230803_175617243.jpg

Cleaned the axle. Welded the mini truss. Did weld washers for the lower CA mounts. Flipped the calipers. Painted the axle. Ran new brake lines. Installed new brakes. Installed Revolution 4340s 4140s.
PXL_20230804_211557234.jpg

Ditched my Flowmaster 50 df for a Magnaflow. I suspect it will be obnoxious.
PXL_20230804_223055868.jpg

Started mounting up
PXL_20230804_232219034.jpg

On all four again
PXL_20230805_015747300.jpg

Last edited:
Got that spawn of Satan torx bolt out of the rear track bar only to find out that the bushing itself was rustwelded to the bracket. After trying to pull the trackbar out by hand with no success, I drilled a hole in the bracket so I could get it moving with a air hammer punch. That didn't get it to budge either. So, I sprayed Kroil and PB Blaster everywhere in that bracket I could get it into and left it to soak overnight.

Last night I got the idea of putting a bunch of odds and ends together to use as a puller to help the air hammer out by keeping pressure on the bushing from the other end. So, first thing this morning, I put this sketchy looking assortment of stuff out of my junk box together and started tightening it up. About the time it got tight, I felt it give a bit then tightened it up again and once it got tight, it gave some more and this I time I saw the track rod move in the out direction. So, I just used the "puller" to slowly get the track bar out.

The new track bar is loosely bolted up on the axle end now (with a new hex head bolt replacing the spawn of Satan) and tomorrow I'll bolt up the other end and tighten it all up. Here's a couple of pics of today's sketchyness.

puller a.jpg

puller b.jpg

Got that spawn of Satan torx bolt out of the rear track bar only to find out that the bushing itself was rustwelded to the bracket. After trying to pull the trackbar out by hand with no success, I drilled a hole in the bracket so I could get it moving with a air hammer punch. That didn't get it to budge either. So, I sprayed Kroil and PB Blaster everywhere in that bracket I could get it into and left it to soak overnight.

Last night I got the idea of putting a bunch of odds and ends together to use as a puller to help the air hammer out by keeping pressure on the bushing from the other end. So, first thing this morning, I put this sketchy looking assortment of stuff out of my junk box together and started tightening it up. About the time it got tight, I felt it give a bit then tightened it up again and once it got tight, it gave some more and this I time I saw the track rod move in the out direction. So, I just used the "puller" to slowly get the track bar out.

The new track bar is loosely bolted up on the axle end now (with a new hex head bolt replacing the spawn of Satan) and tomorrow I'll bolt up the other end and tighten it all up. Here's a couple of pics of today's sketchyness.

View attachment 447171

View attachment 447172

Thats not being 'Sketchy' that's called ingenewitee.....indianewitty.....indywhitey.....@*#$ !!!...it's called being clever :p(y)

Tore apart the front axle...mostly. Still have to get the pinion out, and the spindles are free from the ball joints, just supported by one of the old nuts. It's getting new ball joints, axle u-joints, and wheel bearings while I setup the gears and put in a lunchbox. The tie rod is in the way making setting up the gears kind of a pain, so I can either leave the driver spindle dangling and tie it to the top of the wheel well, or disconnect the tie rod and do the ZJ swap while I'm there, because why not?? (Freaking Jeep logic...haha)

Y'all think the ZJ upgrade is enough for wheeling on 33s? My plan was a Currectlync setup but I'm thinking I may not need that till later.

PXL_20230805_062951561.jpg

PXL_20230805_063257696.jpg

Which fox shocks did you use? I've been looking at them but even with the ONX discount they're still 3x the price of the proven ranchos.

I went with Fox 2.0 remote reservoir with DCS adjusters. They are expensive, but light years better than the Ranchos I replaced. The Ranchos lasted about a year and then quickly began to degrade. I have had many concerns in the past few years and so I was ready to invest in a good long term solution. It is not easy for me to spend this much money on something that will only be enjoyed by me rather than the whole family, but I was so sick of driving under 10 mph on trails and constantly scanning for rocks over two inches tall and pot holes. Being fearful of bottoming out and possibly breaking something in the middle of the woods sucks a lot of fun out of the experience.

After flushing out the entire cooling system with tap water, I have done 4 flushes with distilled water. It is still coming out slightly brown. I'm guessing that the rusted out radiator is just continually leaching more rust. I will be doing 1 more fill with distilled water and then circulating it. After that, I'm not touching the cooling system until I get a new radiator installed. Then, I'll do 1-2 more distilled water flushes to get out the remaining rusty water. I'll put the thermostat back in, and fill it up with radiator flood at a 50/50 mix.

Anytime we have purchased a used TJ or XJ, we replace every part that is connected to the cooling system all at once. It is not that I am a genius and all knowing. It is because I learned that I do not like spending multiple weekends removing the same parts and hoses and swimming in antifreeze because the next part down the line has failed after replacing one component. By assuming that every part is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off at the most inconvenient time, I have improved my quality of life by a gazillion.

Students showed up for classes this week. Very stressful four days for me. Driving the TJ really truly helps lower the stress levels. Already confronted by kids in two separate incidents where they were angry with me for politely requesting they follow an administrator's instructions.

I was looking forward to to driving the rig with the new shocks installed. Of course what do you do to get an idea of how it is going to handle? Maybe hit every rail road track crossing you know of at 30, then 40, then 50 mph? I must say I was disappointed. The suspension literally felt like each corner was pulling or pushing in a separate direction. While letting the oil drain I checked each shock and realized that each one was set on a different setting. I switched them all to the "fastest" setting and the ride was phenomenal. Too soft for my liking, but very responsive and predictable. I left it that way for four days to make sure I had a good feeling of how that setting performed. Two days ago I set it to the "slowest" setting and the ride is very stout. After two days I can say that it is too stiff for daily driving.

Obviously day to day driving happiness is somewhere in between. That is the beauty of these shocks. I can experiment and find the best setting for me and enjoy a ride that is better than the one offered in my wife's 2022 JLU Rubicon.

I will also be able to find a setting that will allow me more stability, control, and comfort off road. Sometimes I spend six hours on gravel roads, sometimes it's ten hours on technical rocky terrain. When it is loaded up with camping gear and weighs over 5,000 pounds I really need to know how it is going to behave.

After dinner with friends last night my wife said, "So when are you and the boys going camping again so you can try out your new shocks?"

Life is indeed good.

Anytime we have purchased a used TJ or XJ, we replace every part that is connected to the cooling system all at once. It is not that I am a genius and all knowing. It is because I learned that I do not like spending multiple weekends removing the same parts and hoses and swimming in antifreeze because the next part down the line has failed after replacing one component. By assuming that every part is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off at the most inconvenient time, I have improved my quality of life by a gazillion.

I've replaced the water pump, t-stat, t-stat housing, and radiator hoses. I'm replacing the radiator today. I will eventually replace the heater core but for now, I have bypassed the heater core.

Any other cooling system pieces I should replace?

I've replaced the water pump, t-stat, t-stat housing, and radiator hoses. I'm replacing the radiator today. I will eventually replace the heater core but for now, I have bypassed the heater core.

Fan clutch + New belt/idler/tensioner while you’re in there and have the room isn’t a bad idea

Maybe replace the rust in the system?

🙂

I can’t recall, have you given it a good flush?