What did you do to your TJ today?

Since I got a job where I work from home, I've used this gas. Since July 3rd. I need a trip.

20230826_171129.jpg

I used the redline stuff and and painted it on with a tiny paintbrush. It’s super slick but sticks right to whatever you put it on and stays there until touched. I bought a small 8 oz container and it would probably last 10 engine builds lol

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on ‘red line better’ getting some at the speed of amazon.

Reactions: kincaid.0678
I finished up the Prestone flush of my cooling system. I did 3 runs of distilled water and it was still pretty brown. I went ahead and put in the Thermocure and filled it up with distilled water. I'll do that for about a week. When I did fill it up with Thermocure, I let it run for about 20 minutes and used one of those no spill funnels to make sure it was all the way full. Even with 20 minutes of Thermocure, the fluid had already turned nearly black.

I have no idea why my cooling system is so dirty. It feels that there is an infinite amount of dirt and rust. I've been trying to avoid draining the engine block, but I may actually take out the drain plug and drain it. Then, I'll take off the bottom radiator hose and spray a bunch of water in there. I've been trying to avoid the engine block drain plug because I think I might have cross threaded it when I did it about 6 weeks ago.

I finished up the Prestone flush of my cooling system. I did 3 runs of distilled water and it was still pretty brown. I went ahead and put in the Thermocure and filled it up with distilled water. I'll do that for about a week. When I did fill it up with Thermocure, I let it run for about 20 minutes and used one of those no spill funnels to make sure it was all the way full. Even with 20 minutes of Thermocure, the fluid had already turned nearly black.

I have no idea why my cooling system is so dirty. It feels that there is an infinite amount of dirt and rust. I've been trying to avoid draining the engine block, but I may actually take out the drain plug and drain it. Then, I'll take off the bottom radiator hose and spray a bunch of water in there. I've been trying to avoid the engine block drain plug because I think I might have cross threaded it when I did it about 6 weeks ago.

Have you checked your oil (smells like antifreeze test) and checked the antifreeze with those little specific gravity testers, dare I say it, and hope not for you, but might be a head gasket leak.

Have you checked your oil (smells like antifreeze test) and checked the antifreeze with those little specific gravity testers, dare I say it, and hope not for you, but might be a head gasket leak.

I'm not seeing any other signs of a head gasket leak. I got one of those oil analyzer kits. I just gotta draw a sample and send it off to check for a head gasket leak.

When I got this Jeep back in early July, I was having all kinds of cooling system issues. It is getting better through doing a bunch of stuff. It is getting better, but still seems to have a ton of rust in it no matter how much I flush it.

I got my recently ordered Bestop Trektop NX installed, built a hardtop dolly, and stored it in my shed.

I’m a little ticked about my top though, I ordered it brand new from Amazon, black diamond material. When it came in I noticed it came with just regular screws instead of the knob screws for the door surrounds, the front arch was missing, and two of my windows had cosmetic flaws that were “baked” into the window material and won’t clean off or be fixed.

I checked my order, and the part number was exactly the same as what’s on Quadratec, Extreme Terrain etc. But those vendors instructions, including Amazon show the arch included. Bestop does not. See below.

I’ll be giving customer service a call Monday and demanding the arch be sent out asap and see what they say about swapping out my flawed windows. Hoping this call goes smoothly, I’m getting sick of companies cutting corners with quality and skimping on parts to try and offset this garbage economy.

Top seems good otherwise, hopefully it doesn’t leak 🤷🏻‍♂️

Vinsanity28

IMG_6168.jpeg

IMG_6167.jpeg

IMG_6169.png

IMG_6170.png

IMG_6176.jpeg

I got my recently ordered Bestop Trektop NX installed, built a hardtop dolly, and stored it in my shed.

I’m a little ticked about my top though, I ordered it brand new from Amazon, black diamond material. When it came in I noticed it came with just regular screws instead of the knob screws for the door surrounds, the front arch was missing, and two of my windows had cosmetic flaws that were “baked” into the window material and won’t clean off or be fixed.

I checked my order, and the part number was exactly the same as what’s on Quadratec, Extreme Terrain etc. But those vendors instructions, including Amazon show the arch included. Bestop does not. See below.

I’ll be giving customer service a call Monday and demanding the arch be sent out asap and see what they say about swapping out my flawed windows. Hoping this call goes smoothly, I’m getting sick of companies cutting corners with quality and skimping on parts to try and offset this garbage economy.

Vinsanity28

View attachment 453111

View attachment 453112

View attachment 453113

View attachment 453114

View attachment 453115

Looks like the instructions with the top arch and the knob screws are Revision H and the one with regular screws and no top arch is Revision M. Probably just part of their way of cutting costs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Check your door surrounds to see if you have the slots on the inside of them for the top arch to fit into. If you don’t have them, it may do no good to get the top arch from them. If you can’t get them to send one, and you do have the slots, you might be able to pick one up cheap on eBay or something.

FWIW, I bought a Trek Top NX for my unlimited in the spring of 2017. At that time it had the knobs and the top arch in the kit. I ended up not liking it and sold it and bought the Supertop NX. One thing I noticed was that the top arch for the Trek Top was farther back than the top arch on the Supertop. It may have had something to do with how each sunrider top operated, I don’t know. So, there were definitely two different versions of door surrounds at that time with the location of the arch being the difference.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Looks like the instructions with the top arch and the knob screws are Revision H and the one with regular screws and no top arch is Revision M. Probably just part of their way of cutting costs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Check your door surrounds to see if you have the slots on the inside of them for the top arch to fit into. If you don’t have them, it may do no good to get the top arch from them. If you can’t get them to send one, and you do have the slots, you might be able to pick one up cheap on eBay or something.

FWIW, I bought a Trek Top NX for my unlimited in the spring of 2017. At that time it had the knobs and the top arch in the kit. I ended up not liking it and sold it and bought the Supertop NX. One thing I noticed was that the top arch for the Trek Top was farther back than the top arch on the Supertop. It may have had something to do with how each sunrider top operated, I don’t know. So, there were definitely two different versions of door surrounds at that time with the location of the arch being the difference.

I checked the door surrounds when installing and they do indeed facilitate the arch. Even though I probably won’t use it 24/7, it will be something I installed when heavy rainstorms here in GA are in the forecast to prevent pooling or when I want to take road trips and prevent flapping.

We will see what customer service says Monday, hoping it’s better than some of the more recent Bestop threads on the forum.

Vinsanity28

Reactions: MountaineerTom

Vinsanity28

View attachment 453111

View attachment 453112

View attachment 453113

View attachment 453114

View attachment 453115

My Bestop didn’t include the knobs either on my JK. I think they have switched out to the screws.

I'm not seeing any other signs of a head gasket leak. I got one of those oil analyzer kits. I just gotta draw a sample and send it off to check for a head gasket leak.

When I got this Jeep back in early July, I was having all kinds of cooling system issues. It is getting better through doing a bunch of stuff. It is getting better, but still seems to have a ton of rust in it no matter how much I flush it.

Yeah in my past experience with reviving rads that rust is like coolaid a little bit colors up the entire coolant batch. Either way rads are pretty simple and cheap for new on our rigs. Hope you can get it clean have some service life.

Yeah in my past experience with reviving rads that rust is like coolaid a little bit colors up the entire coolant batch. Either way rads are pretty simple and cheap for new on our rigs. Hope you can get it clean have some service life.

I've already replaced the radiator. There's still rust throughout the entire system. The entire top of the old radiator was just clogged with rust and crap. I put a new radiator and in and within like 30 miles, I popped open the radiator cap and saw rust and junk sitting on top of the brand new radiator.

I've already replaced the radiator. There's still rust throughout the entire system. The entire top of the old radiator was just clogged with rust and crap. I put a new radiator and in and within like 30 miles, I popped open the radiator cap and saw rust and junk sitting on top of the brand new radiator.

Hmm? Is it possible your jeep was sitting for a time, sounds like rust in the block maybe a PO had let it sit with “drained” (but not drained fully) with the block water inside for a time, those 8mm square sockets for a proper block drain are Amazon or bust. Either way its only getting better flushing as you are, week by week maybe for like 4 cycles.

Hmm? Is it possible your jeep was sitting for a time, sounds like rust in the block maybe a PO had let it sit with “drained” (but not drained fully) with the block water inside for a time, those 8mm square sockets for a proper block drain are Amazon or bust. Either way its only getting better flushing as you are, week by week maybe for like 4 cycles.

It definitely sat in a garage for 3 years before I bought it. Lots of maintenance needs to be done to it. I've done so much to the cooling system already and there's still rust in it.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on ‘red line better’ getting some at the speed of amazon.

That’s where I found mine. It’s quality stuff. I’m no professional but compared to the Lucas assembly lube, which was more like a thick stringy liquid and the redline which was more like the consistency of anti seize or a similar pasty texture. It’s definitely less messy in that regard plus the lubricity was night and day.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Remember when I said the other day that the rear passenger shock had ripped out of the upper mount point? I got in there and removed the bolts and the bracket this morning.

That bracket was even more vertical than this pic. I had to take the top part of a hammer and straighten it out a bit. That bracket was nearly vertical so much that I couldn't get a socket on the bolt head.

The bracket is out, and the new shocks will be here on Monday. I won't be able to put them on until Labor Day Weekend when I take the opportunity to replace the drum brakes and the rear shocks at the same time since the wheels will be off.

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

Remember when I said the other day that the rear passenger shock had ripped out of the upper mount point? I got in there and removed the bolts and the bracket this morning.

That bracket was even more vertical than this pic. I had to take the top part of a hammer and straighten it out a bit. That bracket was nearly vertical so much that I couldn't get a socket on the bolt head.

The bracket is out, and the new shocks will be here on Monday. I won't be able to put them on until Labor Day Weekend when I take the opportunity to replace the drum brakes and the rear shocks at the same time since the wheels will be off.

View attachment 453260

View attachment 453261

Sure would like to hear the story behind that damage. But we'll never know.

Sure would like to hear the story behind that damage. But we'll never know.

I basically bought it like this. The PO had it sitting in a garage for 3 years so I have no idea what actually happened. All that I know is that last week, I noticed that this shock was no longer attached at the top. I got the shock off and absolutely could not extend the shaft from the body. Nothing I tried could get it to pull out. Considering how it drove since I got it back in July, it has probably been like this for awhile.