What did you do to your TJ today?

You may know the technique, but I usually tune my tires by setting a psi then riding through a lil mud. Once you have the tread covered get on blacktop and drive a few miles and it shows exactly how the tread is making contact. You will know if you should air up or down and try again.
Solid idea. NOw to just find some mud. I am going to the beach tomorrow, so maybe I can track there on wet sand, makes sense.

Reactions: b0xcar and KCsTJ
Today messed with dropping the skid a bit. Developed some vibs after the BDS coils, even with a mml. The mml basically sets the angle so even lowering it a 1/4" didn't help the angle at all. Even played with lowering just the rear of the skid with no help. There is about a 3.5 degree difference. When I throw the kids in it compresses the rear enough to eliminate the vibs nearly 100%. It is a tad bit better and isn't terrible but not something I should leave long term.

SYE/DCDS time.

The wife and I are planning a short trip to the TX coast this weekend. If all goes well we’ll be tackling a large portion of the 4wd only section of NOrth Padre beach. In prep we want to be topless, but the problem is it’s a long way to drive topless (I always am either topless or hardtop. I do have a soft top. The plot thickens. I’ve had it since I got the Jeep in 2016. Never even put it on. Never wanted to put it on. I love my hardtop, right?! But I’m tired of driving an hour or two to spots with the top off at 70mph just so I can spend the day wheeling topless. So I decided to pull the soft top off the wall in my garage. It was way up there, over a refrigerator. Get it Down, wash it. I don’t know up from down on this thing. First issue, why the hell did I decide to put this on? Second issue, how the hell did I get it on (yes, I read the instructions, they were terrible). It’s a Rampage 97355. Third, with the help of my Dad and my son we got it on. Third issue, hey, it looks pretty cool. I actually like it for a change. My Jeep looks bad a—-!Ok, but fourth issue, how the hell do you get it to go back? I ran out of energy and time. Here she is in all her glory...
EFEEA97C-3FEC-4FFC-8FC2-C18C25CE1DEA.jpeg

4028F481-4A02-449E-B248-1271A0EF74F8.jpeg

Last edited:
The wife and I are planning a short trip to the TX coast this weekend. If all goes well we’ll be tackling a large portion of the 4wd only section of NOrth Padre beach. In prep we want to be topless, but the problem is it’s a long way to drive topless (I always am either topless or hardtop. I do have a soft top. The plot thickens. I’ve had it since I got the Jeep in 2016. Never even put it on. Never wanted to put it on. I love my hardtop, right?! But I’m tired of driving an hour or two to spots with the top off at 70mph just so I can spend the day wheeling topless. So I decided to pull the soft top off the wall in my garage. It was way up there, over a refrigerator. Get it Down, wash it. I don’t know up from down on this thing. First issue, why the hell did I decide to put this on? Second issue, how the hell did I get it on (yes, I read the instructions, they were terrible). It’s a Rampage 97355. Third, with the help of my Dad and my son we got it on. Third issue, hey, it looks pretty cool. I actually like it for a change. My Jeep looks bad a—-!Ok, but fourth issue, how the hell do you get it to go back? I ran out of energy and time. Here she is in all her glory...
View attachment 36805
View attachment 36806

The soft top is a love/hate relationship. It's great for peace of mind on long trips in case the weather turns on ya. It sucks cause it's noisy and a paint to put up/take down, but not a deal breaker.

View attachment 36805
View attachment 36806
Love the soft top! Now you just need a pair of red half doors ;-)

Reactions: JMT
View attachment 36805
View attachment 36806
It takes a few times putting it on before you get it. I can do mine pretty quickly now. I don't mind long runs with only the bikini but when the kids are in back they get wind blown, not fun for them. My sides come off, like all of them, but having no where to stash them when I get to my destination is a problem.

I have OME 3/4" TC drop pucks if you need them.
Thanks but, I think any TC drop is moot at this point. With the mml the angle is fixed so even lowering the skid doesn't fix the disparity between the two points. I lowered it an inch and the angle stayed the same. I could use some adjustable uppers and get the angle difference fixed, even with the stock ds. Not the normal way of doing things but I cannot see how it wouldn't work. Or some sand bags in the back :D

Reactions: bobthetj03
View attachment 36805
View attachment 36806
Man your TJ is looking great!

It takes a few times putting it on before you get it. I can do mine pretty quickly now. I don't mind long runs with only the bikini but when the kids are in back they get wind blown, not fun for them. My sides come off, like all of them, but having no where to stash them when I get to my destination is a problem.
My kids get wind blown too with just the Spidershade. I kinda feel for them. Some mornings are downright frigid and the crumple over and cover up. Brrr...soft top might solve this. I venture I can roll up the side windows and stuff them in the back. Putting it on I actually learned what some things are my TJ that’s had no clue about. Embarrassing but true. I think it looks beef though. Never thought it would look good this way.

Reactions: ac_ and KCsTJ
Bit the bullet and drilled my rear bumper for my hi-lift mounts. I have it setup so it is tucked way behind the clearance angle between the rear tires and my rear mounted tire.

View attachment 36812
View attachment 36813
View attachment 36811

I can also chain and padlock it to my rear bumper now #CityProof

Aren’t they notorious for rusting when they are mounted on the outside of jeeps? That’s also now directly in the line of fire for snow, mud, rain, and gravel flung up. Hope it lasts. Mine on my hood rusted in months. Never again will I put on outside my Jeep

View attachment 36805
View attachment 36806
I think a soft top looks better, generally speaking over the hard top. Sure wish tho I had the quiet of a hard top

Today messed with dropping the skid a bit. Developed some vibs after the BDS coils, even with a mml. The mml basically sets the angle so even lowering it a 1/4" didn't help the angle at all. Even played with lowering just the rear of the skid with no help. There is about a 3.5 degree difference. When I throw the kids in it compresses the rear enough to eliminate the vibs nearly 100%. It is a tad bit better and isn't terrible but not something I should leave long term.

Just make the kids go everywhere you go problem solved!

Dave worked on the electrical and put in some of the window trim. And he couldn’t wait to put his baby in the garage . And he built a temporary door so we can start working on heating up the workshop to start staining and sealing the plywood
View attachment 36814 View attachment 36815 View attachment 36816

I wished I lived by you and Dave, not so I could use your awesome garage (cough), but I can certainly use more quadding buddies! Nice garage!

Aren’t they notorious for rusting when they are mounted on the outside of jeeps? That’s also now directly in the line of fire for snow, mud, rain, and gravel flung up. Hope it lasts. Mine on my hood rusted in months. Never again will I put on outside my Jeep
I don't live in the rust belt, mounting it this way keeps it out if the head on rain and road debris. I sprayed it with Rustoleum Trim & Bumper paint, plus it is only going to be mounted 2 days a week so meh.

Reactions: dylansalrin