What did you do to your TJ today?

Right on, Kiwi! My wife benefited from an error a few years back when filling up her XJ. The station had done some maintenance on the pumps, and had accidently adjusted the price per gallon down to .35 cents, instead of up to $3.50 per gallon. Kris, being an honest sort, went in and told the attendant that there must be a mistake, as the total cost to fill an almost empty tank was minimal. The guy said it was their mistake, thanked her for her honesty, and tagged-out the pump for repair. He did not charge her for the "correct" amount. Score!
Always great to get one up on the gas man!!

Recentelt just bought my first Jeep! 2000 Jeep TJ Shara automatic 4L I6. I got some lights on, changed the headlights, added the Eagle eyes and painted em for looks, radiator blew so i changed that and the thermostat, welded on flowmasters, put on a kill switch, and put on a new top. Some before an afters to go with it...

I need some help, anyone have any advice on stopping the really annoying whistling noise caused from the light bar?? Anything will help! Also, my Jeep has given the code P0743 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical. The car will have moments where it will vibrate and the rpm will drop when in drive but not moving. When i’m accelerating, The engine will have moments where it over revs and launches my forward with a jerk. These issues go away after the car is heated up. Has anyone experienced this and can shed some lightnon the issue please? Thanks!

7BFD0F30-0789-4581-941F-5130C4807D00.jpeg

B5E0DD65-807D-4DD4-8B73-BD31ED16A8D9.jpeg

C3EE06E5-3F02-439B-8CB9-D4F679B68F3B.jpeg

BCBE0B03-4030-4261-85A2-ECDA0B7C2130.jpeg

AD51F30E-85C2-4147-9DC8-3392903ED889.jpeg

Reactions: SpikeMaul
Recentelt just bought my first Jeep! 2000 Jeep TJ Shara automatic 4L I6. I got some lights on, changed the headlights, added the Eagle eyes and painted em for looks, radiator blew so i changed that and the thermostat, welded on flowmasters, put on a kill switch, and put on a new top. Some before an afters to go with it...

I need some help, anyone have any advice on stopping the really annoying whistling noise caused from the light bar?? Anything will help! Also, my Jeep has given the code P0743 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical. The car will have moments where it will vibrate and the rpm will drop when in drive but not moving. When i’m accelerating, The engine will have moments where it over revs and launches my forward with a jerk. These issues go away after the car is heated up. Has anyone experienced this and can shed some lightnon the issue please? Thanks!
Congrats on first TJ!!

Reactions: RaffiG_Luxuries
I wished I lived by you and Dave, not so I could use your awesome garage (cough), but I can certainly use more quadding buddies! Nice garage!
There’s all sorts of trails for atv/utvs in Wisconsin . It would be great if we had some friends near by that loved jeeps and other “toys” .

Reactions: ac_
I need some help, anyone have any advice on stopping the really annoying whistling noise caused from the light bar?? Anything will help!

Not sure if this will work, but I bought some aftermarket mirrors that whistled really loud on the freeway. I took them apart and put them back together sealing it with clear silicone, and that seems to be working. The clear silicone will fill gaps that are causing the whistle. It is worth a try.

Reactions: Squatch
Just drove mine to work yesterday morning all covered up due to heavy rain...but by the afternoon sun came out and temp up to 75degrees...so stripped my TJ down top down doors off for the afternoon shift haha...love the versatility of my TJ.. At a red light and some guy yelled out "Is that legal ?"..haha 'Of course' I yelled back...even picked up my daughter after she finished work at 8.30pm temp had dropped but nothing that wearing a beanie couldn't fix haha.

Just started changing out all my hinges. Kinda a Pita! Alot of heat is the way to go on the torx head screws, it'll save you alot of drilling. Will post pics when done.

I knocked four more items off my maintenance to do list this weekend.

Changed my rear differential fluid.
Cleaning the IAC and Throttle body
The serpentine belt.
Changed my spark plugs

Oh yeah, the spark plugs. Ha! Now I know why I never claimed to be a good mechanic. So I bought 6 of the Autolite XP985 (Irradium). Checked the gap and they were all just over .30 inch. Installed the new plugs with a little any-seize, no problem. From the time I started to the time the six new plugs were in and torqued down was no more than 10-15 minutes. So I went to put the coil pack rail back on. And i thought (THOUGHT) I had the rail seated correctly and the boots and plugs seated, but noticed I was having a hard time getting the rail bolts to catch and torque down. But I kept at it, having to push up on the rail a bit to get everything in and torqued down.

Well, when I started the Jeep, I was reminded that when something does not go back together just as it was taken apart, you got it wrong stupid. The engine made a horrible noise and it sounded like all the injectors were ticking loudly, or worse. The Jeep immediately threw a CEL. So I shut it off. I think I knew immediately that the rail was not seated all the way, or one of the boots was cocked or something. But in that moment, I imagined the ticking I heard may have been the valve coming in contacting with the tip of the plugs or something (I know...but I was panicking).

So its getting toward dusk on Saturday night now, but I removed the coil rail again, and removed all of the plugs. Plugs 2, 3 and 4 were in various stages of the tip being burnt. From slightly orange on cylinder 2, to purplish ton cylinder 3 to blue on the number 4 cylinder. But I took them all out and purposely put them back in with the worst plug in cylinder 1, the second worst in cylinder 2 and the barely burnt one in cylinder 3. This time I made sure the coil rail was fully seated front to back and all 4 bolts threaded on correctly the first time. Started up the jeep and it sounded much much better, but threw 2 CEL's. Misfire in cylinder 1 and TPS circuit. Knowing both of them are likely related to the burnt plugs...I called it a night. Went to the store yesterday (Sunday) after chruch, got three new plugs, installed in cylinders 1-3 and again, made damned sure to FULLY seat that coil rail again. Started her up and she is again purring like a kitten with no CEL's.

You live and learn I guess. And I learned how NOT to change the plugs on a Jeep Wrangler this weekend. D'oh!

Reactions: Kathy and derekmac
The wife and I are planning a short trip to the TX coast this weekend. If all goes well we’ll be tackling a large portion of the 4wd only section of NOrth Padre beach. In prep we want to be topless, but the problem is it’s a long way to drive topless (I always am either topless or hardtop. I do have a soft top. The plot thickens. I’ve had it since I got the Jeep in 2016. Never even put it on. Never wanted to put it on. I love my hardtop, right?! But I’m tired of driving an hour or two to spots with the top off at 70mph just so I can spend the day wheeling topless. So I decided to pull the soft top off the wall in my garage. It was way up there, over a refrigerator. Get it Down, wash it. I don’t know up from down on this thing. First issue, why the hell did I decide to put this on? Second issue, how the hell did I get it on (yes, I read the instructions, they were terrible). It’s a Rampage 97355. Third, with the help of my Dad and my son we got it on. Third issue, hey, it looks pretty cool. I actually like it for a change. My Jeep looks bad a—-!Ok, but fourth issue, how the hell do you get it to go back? I ran out of energy and time. Here she is in all her glory...
I love love love your Jeep. And, ummm, I love your Jeep! I want to buy another TJ, just to have one in red...love your front bumper too. And the wheels...well I love them so much I have the same ones (as you know). But I was not copying you I promise. The first Jeep I went to look at when looking to buy had those wheels and I fell in love. Then saw yours and that was that.
Anyway, as for your longer runs with the top down. Get a spiderwebshade or similar, keep the doors on and put the windows up. Its really not a bad ride at all at interstate speeds like that.
I too have a love/hate relationship with the soft top. I love that I have it for when I want/need to drive the Jeep in the cold or rain. But hate that when I take it down that I really cannot store the windows/back panel in the Jeep and have any cargo space or risk it being stolen. I'm too anal about the Jeep to drive it in the rain with the soft top up but the windows and back out for fear the interior in the back will get soaked and mildew.
BUT, it beats a hard top for versatility especially when you are not in a cold climate.