What did you do to your TJ today?

Fuck yes! I got the heater box out and taken apart to put in the new heater core. I only broke a few things doing so. I've read 2 different guides on this forum and watched a few different videos and they all were lacking on what it takes to disassemble the heater box itself.

Right now, it is taken apart and the new heater core is ready to go in. I'm done working on it for the night, I'm about to have a beer, and relax for the rest of the night. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

IMG_5188.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

I do need some help. When I pulled out the old heater core, this piece came out. I have no idea what it is for and no idea where it goes. Any advice on where it goes?

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

Fuck yes! I got the heater box out and taken apart to put in the new heater core. I only broke a few things doing so. I've read 2 different guides on this forum and watched a few different videos and they all were lacking on what it takes to disassemble the heater box itself.

Right now, it is taken apart and the new heater core is ready to go in. I'm done working on it for the night, I'm about to have a beer, and relax for the rest of the night. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

View attachment 476279

View attachment 476280

What core are you going with?

Reactions: MikeE024
What core are you going with?

I went with a Four Seasons from Rock Auto.

It seems that there are no good aftermarket heater cores anymore and just various degrees of mediocre to crappy. But there are a few heater core recommendation threads on this forum and Four Seasons was relatively well regarded.

The heater core has been replaced and the dash has been put back together. I have heat in the Jeep!

Now, things that I screwed up.

• There are scratches on top of the steering column from where the dash was resting on it.
  • I broke the passenger side door sensor and need to replace it.
  • I broke the shift indicator and need to replace it.
  • The heat works, but it is stuck on defrost mode.
Any ideas on why it is stuck on defrost mode and how to fix it?

A few things I've learned from this compared to other instructions I've found.

• There's no need to take off the steering column. You can pivot the dash around it and use some straps on the passenger side to help keep it up. However, I do recommend putting a towel on top of the steering column because metal from the dash will dig into the top of the column.
  • Take out the door sensors to prevent them from breaking.
  • Instructions on how to take the air box apart are lacking.
  • If you don't take off the steering column, you need to loosen up the center console
It is done! It wasn't that hard. Tedious and time consuming, but wasn't hard.

Last edited:
Check all the vacuum line connections on the heater box and on the back of the HVAC controls.

There is a black one that runs from the heater box through the firewall and connects to a T and it looks like a rodent chewed through it. Could that be it? And how do I fix a vacuum line like this?

EDIT: An excessive amount of electrical tape fixed it and now the actuator works and will switch between modes.

Last edited: