What did you do to your TJ today?

Cleaned the IAC and throttle body. Nasty in there, but it wasn't running horribly. The idle seemed a little low and rough and there was an occasional stumble when taking off. It should run smoother now.

Covered another paint chip with touchup, but I need to get the correct Stone White PW1 and do them correctly in the spring with sanding and clear. I just wanted a quick cover because its snowing so I used my white Toyota paint. Just a little off. Good enough from 5-10 feet and will stop the winter from getting through.

New contactor housing arrived today from Warn. Cracked one removed and replacement installed this evening.

20191028_224509_HDR.jpg

20191028_232109.jpg

After an oil change and greasing the zerk fittings I attempted to rejuvenate my bonnet paint.

Before:

View attachment 122242

View attachment 122243

View attachment 122244

After rubbing compound, claybar, polish and wax. Not perfect but a good improvement.

View attachment 122245

View attachment 122247

View attachment 122248

View attachment 122246

That turned out really good! My hood is in similar condition and I've been wanting to try to bring it back to life, this gives me a little bit of hope for it haha

What paint did you use? Looks good!

Thanks! I just used basic Krylon Fusion. I lightly sanded the whole thing, hit it with some primer, then just laid down the paint. No clue how it will hold up over time but we'll see.

New member. First LJ. 5th Jeep.

Took passenger side door panel off because I could only open the door from inside. Once I got it off, I saw that the threaded rod that runs vertical and is actuated by the outside handle, was missing the nut on the upper threaded portion of the rod. The PO decided to use a zippy-tie in place of the missing/broken nut. I'm sure it worked for a while, but over time it gained just enough play to not actuate the bar that releases the cam in the door. Im sure that the right thing to do would be replace the assembly, but I figured that because 1 zippy-tie worked for a while, 2 zippy-ties would work for twice-a-while. Doubled up on the zippy-tie to actuator rod ratio and gave everything a good cleaning and dose of white lithium grease. Everything seems to be working pretty good.

I had it all back together before I though to take picks for a post, sorry about that.

Changed out the clutch Master and slave cylinder this weekend, hoping it would resolve my clutch slipping issue. It did not, but it feels a lot better, and the clunking noise that I thought might have been my throwout bearing has gone away so that's good. Still going to drop a new clutch in, though, because it's still slipping on aggressive acceleration in 2nd gear.

One thing I noticed using the ARR radio mount is the coax on the back of the radio hits the plastic trim above the rearview mirror. It causes the radio to have to be pointed way up or way down to not interfere with it. (in the pic, that coax isn't connected) I've ordered a 90* coax adapter to see if that works without affecting SWR too much.

The 90* adapter worked without any noticeable performance loss. I’ll do another SWR check soon.

DF2550B3-FCA0-46FD-A056-0752F0643928.jpeg

Took passenger side door panel off because I could only open the door from inside. Once I got it off, I saw that the threaded rod that runs vertical and is actuated by the outside handle, was missing the nut on the upper threaded portion of the rod. The PO decided to use a zippy-tie in place of the missing/broken nut. I'm sure it worked for a while, but over time it gained just enough play to not actuate the bar that releases the cam in the door. Im sure that the right thing to do would be replace the assembly, but I figured that because 1 zippy-tie worked for a while, 2 zippy-ties would work for twice-a-while. Doubled up on the zippy-tie to actuator rod ratio and gave everything a good cleaning and dose of white lithium grease. Everything seems to be working pretty good.

The tail gate latch on my old pick up was repaired with zip-ties. The repair was supposed to be temporary, but I forgot about it. It's been working well for several years.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Got a call from my daugher week before last while she was in town telling me that her Jeep was steaming after she had gone to an appointment. So I drove into town to check out what might be the issue. Get there and pop her hood to find out that the engine is covered in anti-freeze. Luckily there was a repair shop across the street so borrowed a water jug and refilled her radiator and had her drive it home. Once it had cooled off enough to put my coolant system tester on the radiator I tried to pressurize the system but had to add more water first.

Boom as I thought it might be but had hoped it wouldn't the top plastic tank on the radiator was split.

received_686083288570336_zpszbllzgqw.jpg

So because I needed it fixed by that weekend I ordered a new radiator from Advanced Auto along with a new thermostat and 3 gal of anti-freeze. Parts were ready to be picked up the next day so she drove my truck to school and picked them up after. Friday it was raining out but I had to get the thing fixed because I was going to be gone the next week helping my mom move.

20191019_124549_zpsx0dxh2la.jpg

20191019_124552_zpsmqzmaw7s.jpg

Shroud and old radiator out. Had to cut the two bottom bolts off due to them being so rusted that the heads had rounded off.

Next was to replace the thermostat.

20191019_124555_zps64wfgwui.jpg

20191019_132659_zpsibyhayqr.jpg

New radiator ready to go in.

20191019_134449_zpsjal9acjq.jpg

20191019_135433_zps17qquhlw.jpg

I'd bought her new radiator & heater hoses for Christmas last year so now was a good time to replace them.

20191019_143845_zpspnllfdpk.jpg

20191019_143856_zps5gbva9lq.jpg

20191019_143901_zpsl4wkpnqj.jpg

So new parts all installed and radiator topped off. Running just like it should be right at 210*. Got a little wet with the weather but got her rig back on the road and she was happy to have her Jeep back.

20191019_151020_zpsvwy99e5q.jpg