What did you do to your TJ today?

I noticed the Commando front end then realized it was a little too high to be on the ground....
Now I wanna see the rest of the Commando. @KimsJeep , hint hint... 🤣

LOL, actually it is only one lift. The Commando lives on the other one. Oh, oops, I mean that is how big of a lift I have on the commando, not rocks get in my way. :D LOL

History on the Commando. A friend of ours that had a summer house in Washington, had this Commando. It has sat for a long time. Hubby is helping her clear the property and I asked about the Commando. She gave it to me. :D Only bad thing, after getting it up in the air, we realized how much rust is there. The plan now is to piece in some metal in the bad spots and just make it a fun driver. Not going for any show awards or taking it off road.

Here are a couple pics.

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0349.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg

The only thing I got accomplished on it was, I got the doors to actually latch shut. Had to use a strap to keep them shut on the way home from Washington. LOL And I poured oil down the spark plug holes and was able to turn the motor over by hand. I just love the looks of the Commandos, so that is the reason I'm not just scrapping it. It will be good enough for a fun grocery getter! :D

LOL, actually it is only one lift. The Commando lives on the other one. Oh, oops, I mean that is how big of a lift I have on the commando, not rocks get in my way. :D LOL

History on the Commando. A friend of ours that had a summer house in Washington, had this Commando. It has sat for a long time. Hubby is helping her clear the property and I asked about the Commando. She gave it to me. :D Only bad thing, after getting it up in the air, we realized how much rust is there. The plan now is to piece in some metal in the bad spots and just make it a fun driver. Not going for any show awards or taking it off road.

Here are a couple pics.

View attachment 125119
View attachment 125120View attachment 125121View attachment 125122View attachment 125123View attachment 125124

The only thing I got accomplished on it was, I got the doors to actually latch shut. Had to use a strap to keep them shut on the way home from Washington. LOL And I poured oil down the spark plug holes and was able to turn the motor over by hand. I just love the looks of the Commandos, so that is the reason I'm not just scrapping it. It will be good enough for a fun grocery getter! :D
Those old Commandos have some real character. And alot of room.

Here are a couple pics.

View attachment 125119
View attachment 125120View attachment 125121View attachment 125122View attachment 125123View attachment 125124

Thank you for sharing! I love the looks of the Commando too. Especially the half cab.

Today I went and filled up in preparation for tomorrows off roading adventure. I could smell gas, but I have smelled it before and wasn't to concerned. Well, when I walked up behind the Jeep to load my grocery's, I saw what appears to be a wet spot under it. Yep, sure enough I could see it leaking. When I got home it was leaking a lot more. Yikes. Called the hubby and he came home to have a look. It was decided that I would go ahead and put it in the garage to remove the tank.

View attachment 125052

View attachment 125054

Hubby went back to work and I began to remove the tank. Not knowing what I was doing, I decided to watch a YouTube video on how to remove it. That was a mistake. LOL It was kind of overwhelming. Looked like it was going to end up being to hard for me to do. Luckily, hubby came home for lunch and helped me remove the tank. Wasn't near as bad as the video I watched was. :D

View attachment 125055

View attachment 125056

When he went to undo the big nut thing that held the fuel pump in, it just spun easily in his hands. He determined that that was the problem. It was way to loose. How it got loose I don't know, but after he inspected things in the tank, and the seal, he put it back on and tightened it really tight. He thinks I over filled it too, but I always stop filling the tank as soon as the pump kicks off. I never top it off.

He helped me put it back in the hole and I put everything back together. I did notice when I was under there that I must have scraped a rock or something, there is a nice size dent in the tanks metal cover. The gas skid plate has risen to the top of my things to buy list. LOL

View attachment 125060

No, it's not leaking from there. That is from when I was at the store and the Jeep was at an angle that made the gas leak down that side.

While I had the Jeep on the lift, my steering box skid plate got delivered. So of course I through some paint on it, and got it installed too. :D

View attachment 125058

View attachment 125057

That is what I did to my TJ today. :D
Someone in folsom is giving away the stronger oem gas skid.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/represa-free-jeep-tj-parts/7016853059.html

I'm thinking it is probably already gone. It was posted 6 days ago. I would text him, but I don't see a number. I sent a reply, so I will see if he answers. It also looks to be just a stock one like mine, but what is the thing to the right of the belly skid plate?

Edit to add, he just replied back to me. He trashed them.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it is probably already gone. It was posted 6 days ago. I would text him, but I don't see a number. I sent a reply, so I will see if he answers. It also looks to be just a stock one like mine, but what is the thing to the right of the belly skid plate?

That's too bad. @Midnight LJR may still have his sitting around?

The one in Folsom didn't have open corners like yours.

That's too bad. @Midnight LJR may still have his sitting around?

I was looking at this one. It fits over the current skid. No need to change it out.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_50.htm
Only thing I'm confused about is the description says it will not be fit with hitches that mount underneath rear frame crossmember. My hitch attaches to the frame itself, it bolts to the bumper bolt and an added bolt in the hole just past the bumper bolt, so I think I could use this skid??

I was looking at this one. It fits over the current skid. No need to change it out.

Only thing I'm confused about is the description says it will not be fit with hitches that mount underneath rear frame crossmember. My hitch attaches to the frame itself, it bolts to the bumper bolt and an added bolt in the hole just past the bumper bolt, so I think I could use this skid??
It might work if your hitch doesn't sit directly below the rear cross member. The hitch wouldn't clear the rear mounting brackets the way they are designed to bolt to the frame. I'd be willing to bet it could be modified fairly easily if there was any interference with your hitch though.

Reactions: Blondie70

It looks like it uses the bottom of frame bolt that the bumper uses and I do believe your hitch uses that bolt also so one or the other will be miss aligned when both are mounted.

It looks like it uses the bottom of frame bolt that the bumper uses and I do believe your hitch uses that bolt also so one or the other will be miss aligned when both are mounted.

That was what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure what the "crossmember" was. LOL Just wonder how much it would harm if the tank skid was down that little bit if it is sitting on top of the hitch bracket? Or, how hard it would be to "modify" it like reddvtj mentioned above. I'm sure hubby could do it. I just need to wait a while before I mention getting one. I just bought 2 other skids, one he didn't know about till it made the bell housing cover make a bunch of noise. LOL

I put Tomken Machine rock bars on today...it was fairly straightforward although the rear bracket holes were very unforgiving. It took a lot of finagling and massaging to make it all line up. View attachment 124429
View attachment 124430
They seem very solid.
I’m thinking about adding these to my Jeep...any chance of getting some underside/mounting pics? Installation require drilling the frame or do they clamp around the frame? I wonder if a 1” body lift will affect installation or create a toe grabber...

Last edited:
I’m thinking about adding these to my Jeep...any chance of getting some underside/mounting pics? Installation require drilling the frame or do they clamp around the frame? I wonder if a 1” body lift will affect installation or create a toe grabber...
I will try to take some pics tomorrow. The instructions from Tomken are primitive at best. Installation is fairly straightforward in principle but it’s quite difficult to drill so perfectly to line everything up...the brackets weren’t very forgiving, so I had to fudge a few things. As far as toe grabbing goes, there’s maybe 1/2” of gap between the top of the rails and the body, so you’d only have 1.5” of gap total. That shouldn’t be enough to trip you up.

Reactions: Shamu
That was what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure what the "crossmember" was. LOL Just wonder how much it would harm if the tank skid was down that little bit if it is sitting on top of the hitch bracket? Or, how hard it would be to "modify" it like reddvtj mentioned above. I'm sure hubby could do it. I just need to wait a while before I mention getting one. I just bought 2 other skids, one he didn't know about till it made the bell housing cover make a bunch of noise. LOL
It looks like the brackets on the skid could be shortened to accommodate the thickness of the hitch mounts.

Reactions: KimsJeep
Replaced my steering gear. The old one was leaking and I was getting poor return to center. This is a reman Lares 1353 from Rockauto, I couldn’t find a lot of reviews or comments on it, so I’ll give it some time and give my impressions after some miles. Initially, all is well.

However, return to center improved only slightly, so I think there is still something else going on there.

C9BDAC92-7486-42F8-9A4E-E106078ED74E.jpeg

27AC9BDD-2995-4C2F-998C-CF2B31FE377C.jpeg