What did you do to your TJ today?

Got my first DMV Renewal notice! Jeeps for sale! LOL Just kidding. I would like to start a go fund me. :D Good news is, no smog this time around. Yay. Get to drive it for another year. :D
I need to get my truck smogged and paid for. I didn't realize how much they charge for registering trucks. By the time I pay smog and registration it's a hair over 700. That's new axle shafts. :cry:

Hmm, are you talking about CA for this 30 year old rule? As far as I know that is no longer the case. I have a friend that has a 76 VW bus and he has to get it smogged. As far as I know, it is 75 and down doesn't need a smog, 76 and up do. In CA, that is.

Correct... 1976+ needs smog unless you have a diesel. Then it is 1998+ (In CA)

Replaced my sluggish battery with an Interstate from Costco. $95 out the door! 42 month warranty. Also new terminal ends I found on Amazon. Had some rust in the battery tray, too cold to paint so I sprayed it with FluidFilm. What is the plug in the center of the tray with wires connected to it?

D3804860-6B75-4B18-801B-52B1C1FFF892.jpeg

671D58CC-BB44-4A13-ADC2-B297BDFC9267.jpeg

Replaced my sluggish battery with an Interstate from Costco. $95 out the door! 42 month warranty. Also new terminal ends I found on Amazon. Had some rust in the battery tray, too cold to paint so I sprayed it with FluidFilm. What is the plug in the center of the tray with wires connected to it?

View attachment 124948

View attachment 124950
It's a battery temperature sensor.

That

View attachment 124948

View attachment 124950
It Is a battery temperature sensor..

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
I need to get my truck smogged and paid for. I didn't realize how much they charge for registering trucks. By the time I pay smog and registration it's a hair over 700. That's new axle shafts. :cry:

Correct... 1976+ needs smog unless you have a diesel. Then it is 1998+ (In CA)
Holy Cow! How come so much? My registration is $153 for 2004 TJ and Smog for my Commander was about $40. Funny thing is when I lived in Campbell they had to put the Vehicles on the dyno as part of the SMOG. Down here in Monterey County they just stick the probe in the tail pipe and check to see if there are any codes, plus the cursory check to make sure there were no mods done to change the pollution stuff on the vehicle.

CO has the dyno/emissions testing. Required every two years unless you go thru multiple random smog test centers at various on ramps throughout the city. They charge us $25. Or unless your vehicle is less than 5 years old, then you dont need to go at all.

Holy Cow! How come so much? My registration is $153 for 2004 TJ and Smog for my Commander was about $40. Funny thing is when I lived in Campbell they had to put the Vehicles on the dyno as part of the SMOG. Down here in Monterey County they just stick the probe in the tail pipe and check to see if there are any codes, plus the cursory check to make sure there were no mods done to change the pollution stuff on the vehicle.
My TJ was about the same. When they smogged my TJ all he did was start it for a few minutes and told me it passed.

I believe CA bases registration prices on the cost of vehicle and age. My truck is a 2017 Ram ecodiesel that's MSRP price is around 53k. I assume DMV uses that number and not the 37ish the dealer sold it to me for. I know there is also a surcharge since it has commercial plates. (every truck in CA does. All numbers with 1 letter) Also, with our new smog rules, diesel vehicles need to be smogged every 2 years, unlike gas cars which are exempt for the first 4 years I believe. The total renewal fee for the truck is $631 + whatever smog is. I'm sure it was about the same last year but I don't recall. My wife's crv was going to be around $450 this year but the lease was up so I didn't need to pay it. I guess I'll find out how much they want to register a minivan next year.

My TJ was about the same. When they smogged my TJ all he did was start it for a few minutes and told me it passed.

I believe CA bases registration prices on the cost of vehicle and age. My truck is a 2017 Ram ecodiesel that's MSRP price is around 53k. I assume DMV uses that number and not the 37ish the dealer sold it to me for. I know there is also a surcharge since it has commercial plates. (every truck in CA does. All numbers with 1 letter) Also, with our new smog rules, diesel vehicles need to be smogged every 2 years, unlike gas cars which are exempt for the first 4 years I believe. The total renewal fee for the truck is $631 + whatever smog is. I'm sure it was about the same last year but I don't recall. My wife's crv was going to be around $450 this year but the lease was up so I didn't need to pay it. I guess I'll find out how much they want to register a minivan next year.
You do know that in most of the rest of the US that's called Extortion, and it's illegal, even when it's the local Government doing it.....
Just saying...🤪😜😬😠

Good lord that’s ridiculous.

Today I went and filled up in preparation for tomorrows off roading adventure. I could smell gas, but I have smelled it before and wasn't to concerned. Well, when I walked up behind the Jeep to load my grocery's, I saw what appears to be a wet spot under it. Yep, sure enough I could see it leaking. When I got home it was leaking a lot more. Yikes. Called the hubby and he came home to have a look. It was decided that I would go ahead and put it in the garage to remove the tank.

8578A6F2-CE12-45F1-8F62-1BAFF22CAC6F.jpeg

03BCFB47-87F8-496F-B744-F7FF7F6117A0.jpeg

Hubby went back to work and I began to remove the tank. Not knowing what I was doing, I decided to watch a YouTube video on how to remove it. That was a mistake. LOL It was kind of overwhelming. Looked like it was going to end up being to hard for me to do. Luckily, hubby came home for lunch and helped me remove the tank. Wasn't near as bad as the video I watched was. :D

F3FBCCC6-98AA-42E1-821F-79ED3A1D524C.jpeg

63A0A7E1-EFE9-4F27-B8C5-988074190BA5.jpeg

When he went to undo the big nut thing that held the fuel pump in, it just spun easily in his hands. He determined that that was the problem. It was way to loose. How it got loose I don't know, but after he inspected things in the tank, and the seal, he put it back on and tightened it really tight. He thinks I over filled it too, but I always stop filling the tank as soon as the pump kicks off. I never top it off.

He helped me put it back in the hole and I put everything back together. I did notice when I was under there that I must have scraped a rock or something, there is a nice size dent in the tanks metal cover. The gas skid plate has risen to the top of my things to buy list. LOL

2E24EF28-4A52-4215-BAEE-F3B09B2552BC.jpeg

No, it's not leaking from there. That is from when I was at the store and the Jeep was at an angle that made the gas leak down that side.

While I had the Jeep on the lift, my steering box skid plate got delivered. So of course I through some paint on it, and got it installed too. :D

D5560570-0E76-4E84-A861-2A137C0C0740.jpeg

B1E0C6D3-8C97-4977-8D29-406C6623727E.jpeg

That is what I did to my TJ today. :D

Today I went and filled up in preparation for tomorrows off roading adventure. I could smell gas, but I have smelled it before and wasn't to concerned. Well, when I walked up behind the Jeep to load my grocery's, I saw what appears to be a wet spot under it. Yep, sure enough I could see it leaking. When I got home it was leaking a lot more. Yikes. Called the hubby and he came home to have a look. It was decided that I would go ahead and put it in the garage to remove the tank.

View attachment 125052

View attachment 125054

Hubby went back to work and I began to remove the tank. Not knowing what I was doing, I decided to watch a YouTube video on how to remove it. That was a mistake. LOL It was kind of overwhelming. Looked like it was going to end up being to hard for me to do. Luckily, hubby came home for lunch and helped me remove the tank. Wasn't near as bad as the video I watched was. :D

View attachment 125055

View attachment 125056

When he went to undo the big nut thing that held the fuel pump in, it just spun easily in his hands. He determined that that was the problem. It was way to loose. How it got loose I don't know, but after he inspected things in the tank, and the seal, he put it back on and tightened it really tight. He thinks I over filled it too, but I always stop filling the tank as soon as the pump kicks off. I never top it off.

He helped me put it back in the hole and I put everything back together. I did notice when I was under there that I must have scraped a rock or something, there is a nice size dent in the tanks metal cover. The gas skid plate has risen to the top of my things to buy list. LOL

View attachment 125060

No, it's not leaking from there. That is from when I was at the store and the Jeep was at an angle that made the gas leak down that side.

While I had the Jeep on the lift, my steering box skid plate got delivered. So of course I through some paint on it, and got it installed too. :D

View attachment 125058

View attachment 125057

That is what I did to my TJ today. :D
Now I'm jealous seeing that nice lift in your garage. I have to roll under on a creeper.😉

Now I'm jealous seeing that nice lift in your garage. I have to roll under on a creeper.😉

LOL, yah it comes in handy sometimes. I was originally going to pull it in my driveway. I'm sure glad hubby said to go put it on the lift. Turned out to be a bigger job then what I thought and the lift made it so much easier. That and the milk crates on the dolly. LOL