What did you do to your TJ today?

While my half doors are apart it gave me a chance to rekey the lock sets to match the other locks so I only need 1 key.
I sort of did what is covered in some other threads on the forum, but instead of buying new parts I went cheap and reused the parts I had. I was just careful and removed the cover so I could reuse it. I then went one by one and reused the wafers untill they matched up with my key.
Much better than using 2 different keys..
IMG_20200328_010739671.jpg
IMG_20200328_010800737.jpg

I also started cleaning and prepping my half doors inner panels for the color change to Khaki from gray. Started with Dawn and a Scotch Brite pad, will move to something a little stronger in a day or two..
Not really anything to see with this so I didn't take any pictures.

Finally fixed my inner seal leak, hopefully!
It would only take three hours they said. It would be easy they said...

Doesn't help when the PO "forced" the brake pads into the calipers and my socket got stuck on the hub bolts twice! When I mean forced into the calipers, the u-hooks/teeth/whatever on the pads were opposite side of one another, so I couldn't just pull the caliper out. Can't wait for people to tell me that's by design...

I should've known better that projects on cars always take longer than usual. Had a load of other things I wanted to get done as well, but that didn't happen. There is always next time!

On the flip side, I got to replace the diff oil and replaced the factory goop gaskets with the lubelocker gasket!
20200328_142336(1).jpg

Pulled the cowl to see why my wiper motor has become operationally intermittent. Got it grudgingly working by percussion persuasion. Serious grinding sound from the motor, so time for a replacement.
Cleaned and lubed the actuator arm pivots before buttoning up the cowl since I was already in there and to save time when I swap out the motor in a few days.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
Tried installing a new passenger side vent in the hardtop somewhere around Wednesday. The back edge clicked in, but the front edge wouldn't. Was just home from "essential" work, and hadn't had dinner yet. Cut the top of my thumb's knuckle fooling with it. Was somewhat mildly depressed up to that point. It was only day 2 of mandatory shelter in place orders and day.... oh, about a week and a half of voluntary "hey, everyone should chill out and back up a couple steps". With the rain, it was all catching up to me. Anyway.....

Today, sunny, sunny day (yay!!!!), I grabbed a new blade for the x'acto knife, and trimmed just a hair off the tabs on the front edge of the passenger vent, and it clicked in. Nice. Did the same thing for the new driver side before installing it, and it clicked in without issue. The thickness of the top material was more on the front side of the hole than the rear. It wouldn't allow the tabs to get past the lip and flip out (I'd bent them a little more to make sure they would grab).

Passenger outside door handle was getting difficult to open. I've had a new one ready to go in since last summer. Decided today was the day. Ever since I put the driver side one in last year, it's been a little loose, so I wanted to make sure I didn't have that issue on the passenger side. So, after taking the door panel (door card for you overseas blokes) off, out came the window. Made getting the old handle out and the new handle in so much easier. Handle wedge retainers are solidly locked in. Got everything back together nice and tidy.

Pulled the back seat out and got the dog in the back, the wife in the front, and drove around one of the local parks with all the hot rods and cars and jeeps. Stayed in the vehicle, of course, cause, you know.....lock down stuff. Made a loop or two around the lake/park and headed home. Sun was out. Just felt good to be doing something sort of normal, but also keeping plenty of social/physical distance.

Still have 3 weeks to go of "shelter in place". I may not make it, LOL. "We gotta get out of this place. If it's the last thing we ever do oooo......"

Last edited:
Yesterday picked up a 3.55 HPD30 housing. Needs carrier bearings replaced and geared to 3.73 to be able to work for me but it's a start.

Today picked up a set of 3.73 axles for a good price. Plan is to swap the stock front out while I get the high pinion 30 bits and pieces gathered up. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the extra Dana 44 rear. Maybe reinforce it? Sell to pay for the regear?

IMG_20200328_172900047.jpg

IMG_20200328_172930250.jpg

Today I investigated an annoying clunk on the passenger side. It turns out the middle body mount attachment point was completely rusted. Drivers side not quite as bad. The front and rear mounts look good. Interesting that it only rusts the middle. A brief search of this forum turned up the answer. My new patches from rustrepairpatch.com will be here during the week. I have a MIG welder, just need to learn to use it. Working from home anyway. I'll just keep my laptop nearby...
20200327_170516.jpg

I rebuilt the transfer case and noticed there’s some forward to backward play in mainshaft. It’s just under 1/8”. I’m assuming this isn’t normal.
I really don’t want to break or replace anything else (remanufactured NSG370 and a lot of other stuff on this go round) so I want to be sure before I take it out of the shop and start driving again.

Last edited:
Yesterday picked up a 3.55 HPD30 housing. Needs carrier bearings replaced and geared to 3.73 to be able to work for me but it's a start.

Today picked up a set of 3.73 axles for a good price. Plan is to swap the stock front out while I get the high pinion 30 bits and pieces gathered up. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the extra Dana 44 rear. Maybe reinforce it? Sell to pay for the regear?

View attachment 149031

View attachment 149032
Yes, I would sell it to pay for a complete regear.

Reactions: wyorob and Fonz54
Yesterday I finally got around to knocking some projects out. First I replaced the lift gate support struts/shocks, got really tired of hitting my head on the glass. Next thing was a pretty much fail, tired replacing the gearshifter bulb that was burned out, ended up breaking the replacement LED in the process. After that failure I moved on to changing the cigarette lighter over to a USB port and replacing the blown out bulbs in the rocker switches. Those two projects went flawlessly, with a lot of help from the forums lol

Today's projects are to see if any local auto stores have another bulb and to replace the worn out weather stripping on the lift gate window. Hopefully that will stop water from coming in the through the corners whenever I wash it lol

Not sure what year your Jeep is but the 97-02 seats sit you up higher than the 03-06 seats by about an inch
Makes perfect sense. I have a pair of courbeau seats and modified the brackets to sit a half inch lower, but still I feel like I sit too high

Right on. Well if you get a set of brackets and you want to se pics of the inside edges let me know. It was mostly cut off wheel work. Welding them took me less than ten minutes. Could probably find someone to weld them up near you