What did you do to your TJ today?

Continued work on spare tire mount...

IMG_20200619_113259.jpg

IMG_20200619_113759.jpg

IMG_20200619_135055.jpg

Removed the original factory battery cables (20+ years old); battery clamps were in really bad condition.
Built new battery cables using 4 ga fine stranded cabling; starter to the battery and block to the battery.
The eyelets are fusion connectors or copper that are soldered and/or crimped.
Added split wire loom to the cables for abrasion protection.
The battery clamps are Prime 4x4 military style.
That's going to be my project in the next couple of weeks. Want to redo the wiring for a few of the things the PO and the owner before him did and want to add terminal connectors that are sealed for more of a water tight scenario. Seriously thinking about a smaller accessories (was not supposed to read accessory) battery and air compressor on the driver's side battery stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHP61
Changed out the o-ring on the speedo drive housing. Apparently I nicked it last year when I installed my sye. Took awhile for the leak to show up as the nick was topside of the housing. Made sure to lube the new o-ring well. Not sure I did that last time. :unsure:

Bad (!!) grab shot of brand new oil pan (with gasket) that I had installed today:

e8.jpg

Old one was rusty and grey, new one is shiny and black!

Then, the locking gas cap I ordered from Quadratec several weeks ago actually showed up today - 10 minutes later it was installed:

e5.JPG

Makes those flares REALLY show how bad they need a paint job! In any event, I've never understood why American vehicles mostly don't have locking gas caps/flaps - I've been buying locking gas caps for decades, but this flap is nicer!

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
UPS dropped off Delrin bushings, gas cap and new grab handles... All were installed immediately of course. Then I put the last coat of paint on the rear flares which hopefully I’ll get installed over the weekend. In the market for tubes, but gotta save my pennies unless I stumble across a used set somewhere. Also, Trying to decide on a lift so I can get rid of the pucks the PO put in...

38B51CC3-7935-4E11-85E3-118BC3168AC7.jpeg

45A0A121-0CE1-4765-B814-C32A74606557.jpeg

42455113-2CBD-4C5E-9D5E-E0E9435301CF.jpeg

UPS dropped off Delrin bushings, gas cap and new grab handles... All were installed immediately of course. Then I put the last coat of paint on the rear flares which hopefully I’ll get installed over the weekend. In the market for tubes, but gotta save my pennies unless I stumble across a used set somewhere. Also, Trying to decide on a lift so I can get rid of the pucks the PO put in...

View attachment 170967

View attachment 170969

View attachment 170970
Like your screwdriver rack! And the seat covers! Where did you get the covers?

Reactions: Jamison C
Love the look of your garage wit
Like your screwdriver rack! And the seat covers! Where did you get the covers?
caught an awesome deal on the covers through Amazon Warehouse for $102. The “outside packaging was damaged” so they marked em down. My best purchase so far because they fit like a glove and fill in the overly-worn drivers seat cushion

Ordered these grab handles, because I'm tired of the doing the Steering Wheel Grab Butt Drag™ move when getting in. I'm tall, but a 2 inch lift and side steps that are useless as steps takes its toll on the seat edge. Anyone have them, like them, dislike them?

Ordered this steering wheel cover in size C to cover some wear on my wheel and add a little padding. I've always loved these, my grandma used to have a real leather one on her little two-door Pontiac Sunbird in the late 80s; she also had sheepskin seat covers. :LOL:

Realized the previous owner put the washer fluid sprayers in the bumper holes!? ( you can see it in my profile pic) But there are no holes for the sprayers...but I have a fluid reservoir, so it came with them...so do I have a hood that didn't come with my Jeep? I can tell it's likely been repainted before, but was told "no wrecks" so I assumed it was original. or is this a weird "feature"? or is there something I'm missing here? Explains the crap spray pattern! haha.

Checked the Jeep at lunch to see if elves had finished removing the fender flares. They had not. :cry:

Talked to my dad about finding my probable AC leak soon since he's got the gauges, vacuum pump, and UV dye and what not.

I run the same steering wheel cover in my Trans Am. I find them comfortable, and they're a timeless look.

Bad (!!) grab shot of brand new oil pan (with gasket) that I had installed today:

View attachment 170954
Old one was rusty and grey, new one is shiny and black!

Then, the locking gas cap I ordered from Quadratec several weeks ago actually showed up today - 10 minutes later it was installed:

View attachment 170955

Makes those flares REALLY show how bad they need a paint job! In any event, I've never understood why American vehicles mostly don't have locking gas caps/flaps - I've been buying locking gas caps for decades, but this flap is nicer!
I hear you. Specially when the locking gas caps start leaking and giving you those lovely EVAP check engine lights

I hear you. Specially when the locking gas caps start leaking and giving you those lovely EVAP check engine lights
Yea - I had to buy a locking cap for my wife's car right after we bought it several years ago. Unlike the old days, I bought the specific locking cap sold by the dealer. Paid too much for it, but we've never had a problem. Could have done the same with the Jeep - but the flap is mo' bettah, or at least more convenient. For absolute security, a locking gas cap beats a flap.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago when we had Sandy come and say hello and we went back to odds and evens at the gas station where I live. Some fools were syphoning gas out of cars left and right. Locking flaps or not. The JKU I had at the time had a locking flap and a locking cap. lol

I remember a few years ago when we had Sandy come and say hello and we went back to odds and evens at the gas station where I live. Some fools were syphoning gas out of cars left and right. Locking flaps or not. The JKU I had at the time had a locking flap and a locking cap. lol
Did the cap keep "them" out?

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73
Thanks, here’s what I did:
Two coats of self etching primer, sanded with 600 sanding block. Then three coats of Krylon Fusion Matte Black. They came out pretty great looking and the finish appears to be pretty durable. One note, we’ve had a string of hot and sunny days here in NY, so I left them to bake in the direct sunlight for about 4 hours after final coats.

Two coats of self etching primer, sanded with 600 sanding block. Then three coats of Krylon Fusion Matte Black. They came out pretty great looking and the finish appears to be pretty durable. One note, we’ve had a string of hot and sunny days here in NY, so I left them to bake in the direct sunlight for about 4 hours after final coats.
Ah that makes sense. The forum consensus for years has been Krylon Fusion Satin Black (if you don’t want to pay for SEM) which I thought was waaaaay too glossy when I tried it on my last jeep. Again they look great!

Ah that makes sense. The forum consensus for years has been Krylon Fusion Satin Black (if you don’t want to pay for SEM) which I thought was waaaaay too glossy when I tried it on my last jeep. Again they look great!

This is making it so hard for me to decide between going with a more factory look with Krylon Fusion or textured bed liner!

Today I continued on the removal of the fender flare hardware, hoping to have all of them off tomorrow so I can wash and prep them for paint.

I also ordered these BesTop seat covers in spice to cover my gray seats:

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 1.37.25 AM.png

I want to see what the spice/camel color looks like in my Jeep so I will know if I want to get the color when I do eventually replace the seats. If the fit is good I will keep them, but it looks pretty sloppy in a lot of the review photos, so I expect to send them back. Does anyone have this style? What do you think?

This is making it so hard for me to decide between going with a more factory look with Krylon Fusion or textured bed liner!

Today I continued on the removal of the fender flare hardware, hoping to have all of them off tomorrow so I can wash and prep them for paint.

I also ordered these BesTop seat covers in spice to cover my gray seats:

View attachment 171022

I want to see what the spice/camel color looks like in my Jeep so I will know if I want to get the color when I do eventually replace the seats. If the fit is good I will keep them, but it looks pretty sloppy in a lot of the review photos, so I expect to send them back. Does anyone have this style? What do you think?
I have these in grey. The fit is good and they're easy to take on and off. They aren't a tight fit like neoprene or factory but I don't think they look bad, and I'm picky about that kind of stuff. I've actually been eyeballing these very seat covers myself.