What did you do to your TJ today?

I’m having the same problem at idle. Lower speeds i’m at 210.. Going to do the cooling system in hopes of remedying this. How old is your cooling system?
My cooling system is original to my 2004 4.0L. What are you going to do to yours? Flush it or replace the radiator?

4th of July- got my 06 cleaned up , went to pay a sub in it and check a jobsite with my in-law ( wife’s husbands dad ) right front caliper stuck on way home, after affects of new pads for the first time probably. This is the 3rd one after the brake pad replacement .

So he’s a real city guy , I take him on a hard core little trail I have, figuring some low speed stuff will cool the rotor ....We pull on the property and hit the road in and he’s like “boy this is something”. I’m like , this is just to get to the trail, he is going to mess his pants on this rock crawl section. He couldn’t believe it.

We get back , he heads for the couch and I head to the parts store, get a rotor and slap it on , bleed them, clean it up again and I’m back in business...more guest coming, son in law has enough fireworks to obliterate a small island , and I figure some Jeep rides need thrown into the festivities .

Great 4th.

Today I cleaned my ‘03 up and took it to the shop to get a control arm bracket rewelded and to get an exhaust leak checked that I can’t seem to fix , got pulled over 60/45 with 3 links working up front , got a “nice Jeep-slow down-here’s a warning” and sent on. Whew.

Completed project gooey passenger airbag cover with 91% rubbing alcohol. I was spraying it on my towel, then wiping, but I got the towel on the the center dash panel that goes around the stereo and controls. I didn't really think anything of it since it was working on the airbag cover goo and had no effect on the color. Well, they are different plastics and now I have a 2" x 3" super washed out spot on the side of the center console. PSA: KEEP RUBBING ALCOHOL OFF YOUR HARD DASH PLASTICS (unless prepping for paint). You can see it on the left below:

106963627_10103013631790234_2590321688996985274_n.jpg

I tried water, APC, and 303 Protectant to no avail (looked great when wet, terrible when wiped dry). According to the internet, the alcohol changed it on a chemical level. Read about it online and tried the least goofy/complicated sounding thing I read, which was to put some leather conditioner on it and wipe it off. I had some Lexol conditioner on the shelf I use on my daily driver. I'd say it's about 80% now, not too bad. Average passenger probably wouldn't notice, and I will likely put in a double DIN head unit in the future and have to replace that whole piece anyway. At least the airbag cover isn't sticky now and looks like new. I put some 303 on it after too.

After being irked about this for a couple of hours, I went back out and removed the clean soft top windows (washed it yesterday) and put them on my dining table on a couple of cheap fleece throw blankets until I figure out where to store them. Did this in prep to clean the tub edges, pull the top back, and clean the other parts I normally can't access. I have a BesTop screw-in rail (previously installed) and bikini top the PO provided that I've never used that I plan to put on this week.

Took it out for the 4th to a local ahem, unofficial, trail and spent way too much time trimming branches for clearance.
I don't recall seeing my temp gauge go over 210f before, but it would pass 210f the slower I went or idling in Park. I wish I would have had my OBDII reader to see how high it got.
Is going past 210f normal and not harmful on hot days?
Not "normal" but something of a common issue. Probably indicates cooling system issues.
Do a complete flush and replace the thermostat. Get a Stant thermostat and go with the original temperature; dropping the temp does not help overheating issues but does cause wear and efficiency issues with the engine.

If you see/find any rust/crud in the coolant when you you drain it, be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace the radiator. They seem to only last so long before going out (leaking), especially if the coolant is not changed regularly. If you do need to replace it, be sure to go with a genuine Mopar OEM part...it seems like 99% of the aftermarket and "upgrade" units are garbage that will end up leaking within months...even (or, maybe, especially) the all-aluminum units.

Reactions: Frankred
Replace the CCV rubber boots and hose. First thing this morning.

Picked up a new tire gauge yesterday , due to all of mine being for big truck tires and not accurate for low pressure. Adjusted all the tires to 30psi and gonna drive it this week to see how the difference is. They were at 35psi.

Reactions: Blondie70
4th of July- got my 06 cleaned up , went to pay a sub in it and check a jobsite with my in-law ( wife’s husbands dad ) right front caliper stuck on way home, after affects of new pads for the first time probably. This is the 3rd one after the brake pad replacement .

So he’s a real city guy , I take him on a hard core little trail I have, figuring some low speed stuff will cool the rotor ....We pull on the property and hit the road in and he’s like “boy this is something”. I’m like , this is just to get to the trail, he is going to mess his pants on this rock crawl section. He couldn’t believe it.

We get back , he heads for the couch and I head to the parts store, get a rotor and slap it on , bleed them, clean it up again and I’m back in business...more guest coming, son in law has enough fireworks to obliterate a small island , and I figure some Jeep rides need thrown into the festivities .

Great 4th.

Today I cleaned my ‘03 up and took it to the shop to get a control arm bracket rewelded and to get an exhaust leak checked that I can’t seem to fix , got pulled over 60/45 with 3 links working up front , got a “nice Jeep-slow down-here’s a warning” and sent on. Whew.
Wasn't to far from you yesterday, we rode down to DeSoto falls and spent a few hours walking around!!

Reactions: AndyG
Completed project gooey passenger airbag cover with 91% rubbing alcohol. I was spraying it on my towel, then wiping, but I got the towel on the the center dash panel that goes around the stereo and controls. I didn't really think anything of it since it was working on the airbag cover goo and had no effect on the color. Well, they are different plastics and now I have a 2" x 3" super washed out spot on the side of the center console. PSA: KEEP RUBBING ALCOHOL OFF YOUR HARD DASH PLASTICS (unless prepping for paint). You can see it on the left below:

View attachment 174938

I tried water, APC, and 303 Protectant to no avail (looked great when wet, terrible when wiped dry). According to the internet, the alcohol changed it on a chemical level. Read about it online and tried the least goofy/complicated sounding thing I read, which was to put some leather conditioner on it and wipe it off. I had some Lexol conditioner on the shelf I use on my daily driver. I'd say it's about 80% now, not too bad. Average passenger probably wouldn't notice, and I will likely put in a double DIN head unit in the future and have to replace that whole piece anyway. At least the airbag cover isn't sticky now and looks like new. I put some 303 on it after too.

After being irked about this for a couple of hours, I went back out and removed the clean soft top windows (washed it yesterday) and put them on my dining table on a couple of cheap fleece throw blankets until I figure out where to store them. Did this in prep to clean the tub edges, pull the top back, and clean the other parts I normally can't access. I have a BesTop screw-in rail (previously installed) and bikini top the PO provided that I've never used that I plan to put on this week.
Thanks for the psa. Psa for you - they make dashboard bezels for double din stereos. Looks like it is time for an upgrade to restore your console plastic to new 👍

Not "normal" but something of a common issue. Probably indicates cooling system issues.
Do a complete flush and replace the thermostat. Get a Stant thermostat and go with the original temperature; dropping the temp does not help overheating issues but does cause wear and efficiency issues with the engine.

If you see/find any rust/crud in the coolant when you you drain it, be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace the radiator. They seem to only last so long before going out (leaking), especially if the coolant is not changed regularly. If you do need to replace it, be sure to go with a genuine Mopar OEM part...it seems like 99% of the aftermarket and "upgrade" units are garbage that will end up leaking within months...even (or, maybe, especially) the all-aluminum units.
Thanks. Do you know the recommended/favorite coolant type and percentage to water here on the forum? I don't mind googling it but with all the other info you have on the the topic, I'd bet you have that at the ready...

I changed the coolant once, in like 2010... 🤨 I guess I should have been doing that more often.

Replaced the grease in my winch with some CV-2 along with replacing the seals and redoing the wiring. Hopefully the grease will stay on the inside now, it was a disgusting mess of melted grease before. Now all the winch cables go straight to military battery terminals. Borrowed a badass crimper from work so all the cables are solder free. I'll have to grab some pics of the cables for my build thread I didn't take many this weekend. Also put on my new synthetic rope and license plate mount from TRE my dad bought me for my birthday.

1594046976190.png

1594047014915.png

Paid to have the flowmaster catalytic converters and a new banks monster exhaust, plus new NGK o2 sensors tossed on at the same time. Normally I’d suffer through that kind of work but a long weekend and sunshine left me a lot more interested in beer and fresh air over a socket wrench and sweat 😁
What flowmaster Cats did you go with? I can only find 2049170 which says is for 04+. I've been trying to find if it's a sensor difference or if the physical specs are different

What flowmaster Cats did you go with? I can only find 2049170 which says is for 04+. I've been trying to find if it's a sensor difference or if the physical specs are different

That’s the one I went with. From my understanding, all TJs from 2000 or 2001 and forward moved that Y/dual-upper cat setup. The shop bolted it up without an issue, only thing they did was trimmed a hanger, which is on the wrong side. There really isn’t a lot of threads/conversations about why that is but all the well priced cats are for the 04+ yet seem to fit 01’s forward. Mine fit though.

I’m, also, now fighting through some new misfires, so I may not be the person to ask haha I assume it is a dud o2 sensor but I’ll circle back around once I figure out that. Though I’m curious if anyone else has bolted up new/cheap cats that say 04+ on older TJ’s, whether that’s flowmaster,Fischer, or Eastern.

That’s the one I went with. From my understanding, all TJs from 2000 or 2001 and forward moved that Y/dual-upper cat setup. The shop bolted it up without an issue, only thing they did was trimmed a hanger, which is on the wrong side. There really isn’t a lot of threads/conversations about why that is but all the well priced cats are for the 04+ yet seem to fit 01’s forward. Mine fit though.

I’m, also, now fighting through some new misfires, so I may not be the person to ask haha I assume it is a dud o2 sensor but I’ll circle back around once I figure out that. Though I’m curious if anyone else has bolted up new/cheap cats that say 04+ on older TJ’s, whether that’s flowmaster,Fischer, or Eastern.
I'd be interested in other's experiences, too. The price difference is 3x-4x as much for an 00-01 specific. I have a CA Compliant 2000 with the dual precats as well that looks exactly like this one, and have found sources that stay a 48-state compliant midpipe will work with the CARB ECU, but will just not pass the CA Visual. Did you replace sensors when you replaced the midpipe, or reuse the old ones? I wonder, since according to the O2 thread on this forum later model TJs have different part numbers for the O2 sensors if that could be an issue...

I really hate my doorless mirror set up so today I had a coworker weld a tab on them and I added a strip of rubber as a buffer. Not the prettiest looking but the mirrors aren't folding in on themselves when I get on the highway and the mirrors themselves aren't as shakey. Still they are terrible mirrors lol

20200706_135608.jpg
20200706_135600.jpg

20200706_135600.jpg

20200706_135608.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and Zorba
I'd be interested in other's experiences, too. The price difference is 3x-4x as much for an 00-01 specific. I have a CA Compliant 2000 with the dual precats as well that looks exactly like this one, and have found sources that stay a 48-state compliant midpipe will work with the CARB ECU, but will just not pass the CA Visual. Did you replace sensors when you replaced the midpipe, or reuse the old ones? I wonder, since according to the O2 thread on this forum later model TJs have different part numbers for the O2 sensors if that could be an issue...
I got brand new o2 sensors for the 01. Once again, someone else can comment since I’m by no means a vet, but the upperstream o2’s are still connected to the old headers and the downstream shouldn’t have issues since they are still collecting data from the same bung/cat setup as stock which is directly after the top cats. The 3rd isn’t even needed as far as CEL’s go. Someone can probably give you a proper explanation but o2’s sync to the tj’s year and computer, not the surrounding metal. From what I saw it’s fairly agreed upon that those cats all fit TJ’s from 2000+, they just seem to be marked wrong. But once again, I’ll look to someone else to give final say on that.

Thanks. Do you know the recommended/favorite coolant type and percentage to water here on the forum? I don't mind googling it but with all the other info you have on the the topic, I'd bet you have that at the ready...

I changed the coolant once, in like 2010... 🤨 I guess I should have been doing that more often.
You should use the yellow HOAT (G5) antifreeze at 50/50 mix with distilled water (or you can buy it pre-mixed). A lot of folks like the Zerex G05 brand.

Reactions: Frankred and matkal
Installed the accessory light plate and the new winch plate. Mounted the plate and used a Factor55 bolt lock just in case.

Setup is much better for the X20 winch. Waiting for my other lights to permanently install the driving/wide beam setup up front.

8E22047B-4DC7-409B-8429-17799ED4C703.jpeg

9A6D8C46-BA1F-4A9B-A17F-F5DABE2DCDF0.jpeg

Last edited:
I really hate my doorless mirror set up so today I had a coworker weld a tab on them and I added a strip of rubber as a buffer. Not the prettiest looking but the mirrors aren't folding in on themselves when I get on the highway and the mirrors themselves aren't as shakey. Still they are terrible mirrors lol

View attachment 175045View attachment 175048

View attachment 175046

View attachment 175047
Really like that idea. I kinda miss the big CJ mirrors and this is a perfect solution.