What did you do to your TJ today?

I was very disappointed when those shocks did little to improve my ride with 3.5” RE springs.

I then tried Fox which were too stiff to be likable. I then got Rancho 9000x adjustable shocks (set at 3/2) that rode “slightly” better than the 5000x. I have 15” wheels and c load rated STT Pros @ 25 psi.

I then went to Currie springs and that made a “slight” improvement (surprisingly noticeable but far short from being a legit improvement).

Bottom line (my opinion) is that my Jeep will still ride like a meat wagon with softish wooden wheels over until Blaine outboards my rig with 11”/12” fox smooth bodies w/ res. I took one ride in Chris’s Jeep and it saved/ruined me on this topic.

I wish I could pay for everyone to get that mod bc it’s flat out amazing.
I guess I've just got low expectations for my Jeep's ride quality, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Bottom line (my opinion), is that my Jeep will still ride like a meat wagon until Blaine outboards my rig with 11”/12” Wayne tuned fox smooth bodies. I took one ride in Chris’s Jeep and it saved/ruined me on this topic.
Not true, but everyone has a different opinion. Maybe you should get a loan from Chris and copy his setup. He only charges 18% interest for a 3 month loan. Get one quickly before he adds the "Putin price hike". ;)

Managed to separate the links from the sway bar in preparation to install a set of JKS quick discos. Had a hell of a time with “traditional “ methods….. the MF wouldn’t budge. So I borrowed a couple pullers/separators from O’rielly auto parts and bingo bango done and done, easy peasy!

The tool that I didn’t use probably would have worked, I just grabbed the other one first.
A7000E71-EAB2-4C25-8EB5-D572CB024C81.jpeg
48D1BBF5-19D5-4C81-8426-9DB789B510B8.jpeg
38A65AA3-ED21-424A-87E1-C0FE2B2D544C.jpeg

I had decent expectations because of how highly regarded those shocks were in here.
I just figured these not-expensive shocks could only do so much. We have a cobble-stone like road we drive on daily that is sort of my test-bed for ride smoothness. It helped a little there, but shocks are just part of the suspension. Otherwise on road it rides just fine.

Maybe someday I'll try some 4" Currie springs.

I see you're in AZ also. Curious where you're having your regear done?
It’s a mom-and-pop shop called Lloyd’s Transmissions (Tucson).

Edited for accuracy:

Darrell (55 years old) and his dad Lloyd started the business in 1983 and Darrell’s been running it since 2000 (his dad kept working there until he retired).

Darrell's the absolute best person to do the work in this area. Dude is super detailed and enjoys making our rigs happy.

Last edited:
Not true, but everyone has a different opinion. Maybe you should get a loan from Chris and copy his setup. He only charges 18% interest for a 3 month loan. Get one quickly before he adds the "Putin price hike". ;)
Have you gone for a ride in a set up like Chris had? I’m guessing no.

Also, keep in mind that I was speaking about “my rig” that absolutely rides like crap on my rough local roads even at 23 psi bc it’s simply too light. Pretty sure it wouldn't be as bad with a hard top because it rode much softer with all the regear parts loaded up.

Chris and I will have similar yet different builds (we all have our own way of doing things), and I already purchased the parts I need. Solid advice though ;):D

Reactions: Fixer6
Have you gone for a ride in a set up like Chris had? I’m guessing no.

Also, keep in mind that I was speaking about “my rig” that absolutely rides like crap on my rough local roads even at 23 psi bc it’s simply too light. Pretty sure it wouldn't be as bad with a hard top because it rode much softer with all the regear parts loaded up.

Chris and I will have similar yet different builds (we all have our own way of doing things), and I already purchased the parts I need. Solid advice though ;):D

If you need to add some weight, my I offer you some exceptionally well-made bumpers ?
20201201_134800.jpg

20201203_101120.jpg

Combined, I wager they total out about 220lbs. Them thangs are Beefy.
I don't think it's quite that much. I took those same Ranch Hand bumpers off my LJ (the front is still visible in my profile photo), and I weigh everything I can that I take off or put on the LJ. The front weighed 105.41 lb and the rear 60.27 lb. By comparison, the Savvy front that I put on was 14.16 lb (unpainted), the Savvy front winch guard was 10.05 lb (unpainted), the Savvy front corner guards were 2.37 lb (unpainted), and the DirtWorx rear bumper was 45.10 lb (unpainted). In all, I dropped 94 lb with the bumper switch.

Reactions: srimes
I like them. 👍
Sold !

I don't think it's quite that much. I took those same Ranch Hand bumpers off my LJ (the front is still visible in my profile photo), and I weigh everything I can that I take off or put on the LJ. The front weighed 105.41 lb and the rear 60.27 lb. By comparison, the Savvy front that I put on was 14.16 lb (unpainted), the Savvy front winch guard was 10.05 lb (unpainted), the Savvy front corner guards were 2.37 lb (unpainted), and the DirtWorx rear bumper was 45.10 lb (unpainted). In all, I dropped 94 lb with the bumper switch.

Ranch Hand is correct ! I thought I weighed the front at 185lbs. Sounds like I may have made a liar of myself. I'll take your word for it. I aint dragging it back from the shed to weigh it again.