What did you do to your TJ today?

Been getting the TJ ready for wheeling next week. Added the Barnes engine skid plate this week. Very sturdy and heavy gage steel. Only issue I've found so far... no trap door the engine oil to drain out for change. I guess I'll just let it run down the plate into a large, shallow pan 🤣🤣. Anyways, hope everyone's having a good day!

Took the new TJ wheeling. 4 hrs into a 5 hr drive we stop for gas. Next thing I know gas is dumping from under the jeep. I assumed the pump didn’t shut off, though in hindsight it should’ve been coming out the filler neck if that had been the case. It continued to drain from the skid during an extended rest stop, but some driving forward & back seemed to make it go away.

5E0F22BA-F5EC-4AC3-9CDD-789F779655D5.jpeg

Next morning we hit the trails. Start off with a pretty deep water crossing, and then some steep climbs/drops. Guys tell me I’m leaking water or gas, but I just came through deep water so I shrug it off. About 10 min later gas gauge starts dropping precipitously, low due light comes on. I high tail it back to the trucks and pull it on a trailer.

Turns out the pump was completely free, the big nut was there, but not attached, so it had floated up and made me read empty when it was actually 3/4 full. We figured that out when we dropped it to look.

C3FF04AB-F611-4669-8CD8-073452FEB450.jpeg

Drained the tank into some buckets, found the gasket in the bottom of the tank, fixed, re-mounted, and refilled the tank with a series of DIY funnels.

Good as new.

Another day of tiny victories. I put a Big Brake kit in my LJ. Yes, did not say installed - it came in the mail and is now sitting in the back of the Jeep. Tiny victories. I did test last nights wiring harness. Headset kind of works. It is complaining other stuff is not plugged in yet - so tomorrow will try to put in the GPS antenna and the hands free mic - and hopefully after that Wireless Apple car play will work. Test fitted the KC lights - not so much of a victoria. Yeh on the lights, but the location I wanted to put the front camera is a complete no go. Booh...

Picked up one an old friend, my first “jeep buddy” and one of the biggest influences in my life- had a lot to catch up on. Growing up we were at each others’ house constantly.

Really grateful for the time we had out, and of course a Jeep made it that much better.

The water pic is “the cold hole” - a cave fed spring, man it is cold cold in summer. We used to play there all the time, the old rope is gone.

99D6E008-824E-42A3-AEA4-703E1ADAB9EE.jpeg

5F3CEFC9-07BE-4D10-8AEA-5E4E5627EC91.jpeg

E9460FF3-B583-4CA0-82B8-CC648049A26D.jpeg

Last pic is unedited. Mighty fine country.

Another day of tiny victories. I put a Big Brake kit in my LJ. Yes, did not say installed - it came in the mail and is now sitting in the back of the Jeep. Tiny victories. I did test last nights wiring harness. Headset kind of works. It is complaining other stuff is not plugged in yet - so tomorrow will try to put in the GPS antenna and the hands free mic - and hopefully after that Wireless Apple car play will work. Test fitted the KC lights - not so much of a victoria. Yeh on the lights, but the location I wanted to put the front camera is a complete no go. Booh...

What deck did you go with? Ive been debating doing a pioneer 3500nex since its a single din or going double din and cutting stuff up

I bought my TJ in 2019 from a guy who had let it sit for a long time. The rear window was held in with safety pins and all soft windows were badly hazed/scratched. I was able to repair the window zipper in place and used the soft abrasive on the windows which did help some, but still had to poke my head out of the window to back up, which is dangerous on trails.

Finally, I have installed the soft top bow straps (which were completely missing) and new windows. Tighter top and I can finally see out of the windows while saving a few bucks over a brand new top.

Must be a terrible thing to love that damn close to HWY 12. Beginning to not like you very much.

Haha I’m about 6hrs and 350mi away from Hwy 12 for the rest of the year. I’d love to have a secondary house here one day but not if they keep driving out the locals with the beach mansions. Manteo or Wanchese is where I’d prefer to buy.