What did you do to your TJ today?

Doood. I want those rims on the left. Where they from?

Those are American Racing wheels, converted to beadlocks- they came on this TJR, likely were put on around 04-05, word is they are hard to find.

I had them really shiny and need to repolish them - even when/if I sell this one (I have a commitment on it, the buyer is under no obligation...just someone I really like and respect) , I will keep them and the Moabs on the right will go with the the jeep.

They will be my trail wheels with my mud tires.

These are my all around non bead lock wheels-

67CAC8A5-EA73-4C80-BCC9-ABF398AFE06B.jpeg

Got the last two lifters freed up. With a little homemade crows foot wrench and few magical curse words I was able to finagle them out. None of them look like they unusual wear and weren’t clogged up but I have all new rocker arms pushrods and lifters to install. Oil pump arrives tomorrow.

View attachment 365393

View attachment 365394

That’s one nice thing about at least one of the 4 cylinders: You can get the lifters out without having to pull the head off. Can’t do that on the 4.0.

Reactions: kincaid.0678
That’s one nice thing about at least one of the 4 cylinders: You can get the lifters out without having to pull the head off. Can’t do that on the 4.0.

Yea I believe I’m going to end up with a broken piston skirt from the sounds of things. Unfortunately I’m going to be pulling the head and the oil pan today 🤑💥 🔫.

Which model did you get? There' no TJ specific model. I see you hardwired the third brake light to create clearance...

https://eztrunk.net/shop/ols/products/the-extreme-tailgate-table-fits-jl-jlu-jk-jku
This is the one I purchased. I got a much cheaper price because I purchased it at Jeep Fest. The wire loom you see is my rear camera. I removed the plastic shroud bracket for the third light to make room for the table. My third brake light has not been working for a while. I will probably get one of the ones that installs on the spare and include the wiring in the rear camera loom.

Install is as easy as centering it where you want and then zipping in the six self tapping screws as someone holds it still.

[URL]https://eztrunk.net/shop/ols/products/the-extreme-tailgate-table-fits-jl-jlu-jk-jku[/URL]

This is the one I purchased. I got a much cheaper price because I purchased it at Jeep Fest. The wire loom you see is my rear camera. I removed the plastic shroud bracket for the third light to make room for the table. My third brake light has not been working for a while. I will probably get one of the ones that installs on the spare and include the wiring in the rear camera loom.

Install is as easy as centering it where you want and then zipping in the six self tapping screws as someone holds it still.

That's what I figured.. since there is no TJ specific model, the JK would work as long as the brake light shroud is deleted.

I have the little LED's that go in the spare tires lug nut holes and are wired in to the OE brake lights. No reason I can't figure out another way to manage that connection.

Thanks.

Reactions: John Cooper
Really like these calipers , they have a great coating on them and really look nice .
Bought them on Rockauto 60.00 ea new no core. I loaded the shoes in them, now if I could just get my wheels off I will rebuild the front axle.
I bought some Rugged Ridge wheel locks and they are the crappies ones I have ever seen , guess I am going to have to weld some nuts to them to get them off and throw the pieces of crap in the trash. I returned several Rugged Ridge products as they were crap. I strongly advise not buying any of their crap !
Their products must be made by JC Witney ! LOL !

1665330234233.png

I bought some Rugged Ridge wheel locks and they are the crappies ones I have ever seen , guess I am going to have to weld some nuts to them to get them off and throw the pieces of crap in the trash. I returned several Rugged Ridge products as they were crap. I strongly advise not buying any of their crap !
You forgot to read the warning label on all of their products. 😬
China.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first thing I've done in probably 10 or 12 weeks that amounts to anything at all: I fixed the vacuum gauge that didn't work correctly when I put it in just before the super hot weather hit.
517.JPG

Now it works correctly, instead of showing max vacuum as about 6 accompanied by a loud hiss. Vacuum line had a hole pinched in it from my screwing up the assembly.

Now I can continue with the compressor install - the pressure gauge above the vacuum gauge is the next thing to get hooked up. Then the tank and rear outlet, and that's done and on to installing the H&R springs so I can get my 31s!

Been chasing a vibration that hits at 55mph. Replaced the rear driveshaft and got my pinion angle perfected and that reduced it quite a bit. But still have a vibration that you feel in the seat of your pants and see in the mirror. Finally got off my lazy butt and pulled the front drive shaft out and…….the vibration is gone. Took it to be balanced and felt really stupid when the fellow that took my driveshaft back to balance pointed out the cv is sticky. He said my ball is shot. Wow I could have fixed that if I had of picked up on the stiff joint.
Felt like I owe him the money to fix it since he pointed out the problem. Cannot wait to get it back next week and see if my Jeep is cured.

Oh man that engine is toast , looked on car-parts.com near your zip and there are some yards with some 1000 - 1200 and they will back them to be good , might be the best route . Or a short block , but that will be more money. Might check craigslist and get lucky but that's a crap shoot. Good luck with !

Yea thankfully I only ran it a couple miles once that knock started so maybe the cylinders won’t be too scarred up. I found a guy selling a 2.5 for $200 in Charles Town which is about 20 minutes from me but I haven’t made it to check it out. I have to get a socket for my head bolts so I can pull it and assess the damage before I make any decisions on the next steps.

How about a new twist on this thread? Instead of "what did you do to your TJ today," how about "should I work on my TJ today?" I finally have everything I need to start the extensive mods on my LJ (see my profile for the long to-do list). However, my LJ is the current backup for my daily driver, a '98 Subaru with 378k on the odometer. I have a 2001 Expedition, but it blew a head gasket a while ago and sits waiting for attention. I really should do that project next so that I have a backup vehicle for the Subaru, which is sure to have something fail on it while building the LJ, leaving me without wheels. However, the LJ project will be much more fun! What do you enablers think? Throw caution to the wind and start the LJ build, or be prudent and get the Expedition running again, first?