What did you do to your TJ today?

I took another long road trip deep in the mountains. I finally got a glimpse of the elusive Glacier Peak (a very active and mysterious strata volcano that freaks scientists out). The Jeep has driven perfecty, and I haven't babied it all since modding the vacuum line going to my cruise control :)

A432630A-6A28-4B48-A4C4-3DBB5C66630C.jpeg

I took another long road trip deep in the mountains. I finally got a glimpse of the elusive Glacier Peak (a very active and mysterious strata volcano that freaks scientists out). The Jeep has driven perfecty, and I haven't babied it all since modding the vacuum line going to my cruise control :)

View attachment 40797
Sounds like you've found your happy place once again, @jeep_boss. Glad to hear it, my friend! :thumbsup:

Reactions: jeep_boss
Finally got my new Bestop Supertop NX Twill completely installed. Couple pics below. So far I like. Had the Jeep up to 90 on the interstate yesterday to test noise. Wasn’t bad. Around town it’s dead quiet compared to the smittybilt top that was on there before. One thing I’m not sure about for anybody who has one of these. The front add on bow you stick in the grooves in the door surrounds. Mine is not even touching the top. It’s just there rattling slightly. I though it was supposed to be tight against the inside of the top?
Really nice top, looks great!

90mph??!! :eek:

That cross bar should be snug against the fabric, and not 'rattle' at all, even if it didn't touch the top...any photos of the bar with the gap?

Reactions: mde8965
Really nice top, looks great!

90mph??!! :eek:

That cross bar should be snug against the fabric, and not 'rattle' at all, even if it didn't touch the top...any photos of the bar with the gap?
Yeah....the 90mph excursion was interesting. Jeep handled it well - of course to maintain that speed the RPM's were 4k. Maybe I blew some of the crud out of the engine? But no major vibrations anywhere. I would have never, ever had the guts to do that with the top down - I would have blown right out of the Jeep I think. The noise level at that speed was surprisingly good. I would not say quiet by any means, but I could still hear the stereo and would have easily been able to hold a conversation with a passenger without shouting.

I don't have any pictures currently of the bar. It was hard enough getting the header clamped down (had to remove the rear window bar and unclamp the rear corners to get it.) So I am going to wait a week or so until I feel (or hope) the top is stretched enough that once I flip the top back (sunrider) to look at the bar that I can get the header clamped down again without having to taking everything apart.

Yeah....the 90mph excursion was interesting. Jeep handled it well - of course to maintain that speed the RPM's were 4k. Maybe I blew some of the crud out of the engine? But no major vibrations anywhere. I would have never, ever had the guts to do that with the top down - I would have blown right out of the Jeep I think. The noise level at that speed was surprisingly good. I would not say quiet by any means, but I could still hear the stereo and would have easily been able to hold a conversation with a passenger without shouting.

I don't have any pictures currently of the bar. It was hard enough getting the header clamped down (had to remove the rear window bar and unclamp the rear corners to get it.) So I am going to wait a week or so until I feel (or hope) the top is stretched enough that once I flip the top back (sunrider) to look at the bar that I can get the header clamped down again without having to taking everything apart.
I've read a lot of posts by TJ soft top owners who always say to clamp the header last, and have always wondered why...on all the Jeeps I have owned with soft tops, TJs & JKs, I have always clamped the header first, then pulled down on the rear bow corners to tuck the rear flaps into the body channel, first one side, then the other. That way I know the header is as tight as it can be. Then I put in the windows last...

I wonder if there's something weird about the arch bar they sent, as in, too short...

Last edited:
Came home from a 13 day work trip only to find my jeep wont start at the off-airport lot. They told me they just moved it the day before but at 11pm last night...Nothing....starter not turning or clicking and jumping it didn't work. 2 guys at the lot pushed me down a small ramp and with a good ole pop of the clutch, I was on my way. Today I'll be following the troubleshooting guide @Chris posted in the FAQ section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's been a busy 4 months this year and I've just got around to troubleshooting the 'no start' issue. I bypassed the starter relay (jumper from positive battery terminal to the relay slot dead center) to prove out the starter and proved continuity across the clutch safety switch. Fuses were good which left the starter actuator. Found it broken and replaced the actuator and switch and I'm good to go.....finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the new Rancho RS5000X on my Jeep yesterday. A friend of mine has a hoist, made it alot easier. For the short ride home, I could definitely feel a good improvement in the ride. It took the bumps in the road better and I didn't have the swaying or rocking motion.
Heading to the National Forest today with a friend that has a CJ-5. Should be a good test with the shocks.

Got the new Rancho RS5000X on my Jeep yesterday. A friend of mine has a hoist, made it alot easier. For the short ride home, I could definitely feel a good improvement in the ride. It took the bumps in the road better and I didn't have the swaying or rocking motion.
Heading to the National Forest today with a friend that has a CJ-5. Should be a good test with the shocks.
What did you replace?

Installed 03-06 seats in my 01 TJ. Once installed, they were lower sitting in the jeep but had some 1" spacers and went to hardware store to get some longer bolts and that did the trick. Next are the seat covers due in next week.

Reactions: JMT
Love those round taillights ..How hard was it to fit and wire those?

Not to step on the toes of the original poster, but since I didn’t see a reply I can tell you it’s pretty easy. Take off stock taillights and you’ll use a hole saw (4” or 4.5”, I cant remember) to make new holes for the new taillights which will just be a press fit into the holes you just made. Measure twice, cut once. Tape off the area to be drilled to keep the paint from chipping. Install a new turn signal flasher to make up for the resistance difference for your new lights being LED and your done. Done it a few times and usually is less than an hour to do both sides. You can google Jeep round led taillights and find a ton of how to videos and tutorials.

Installed the arb single piston compressor (ckma12). Had to locate it behind the passenger side headlight because I am already using the common mounting location, abs tray, for my locker pumps. I cut down a steel plate to 3 x 6.5 inches to mount the pump to. This also gave me enough height to be able to service the air filter. Harder then I thought due to the location and having to extend the wires but very happy with the final product.

20180511_223905.jpg
20180511_223845.jpg

Took the top off for the first time since having this jeep and Installed a LJ version alien sunshade.

I thought the top would be up high enough to still be able to get my dually in the shop to hook up to one of the trailers. Not the case so I'll be moving it onto a table here soon. Will need a 3rd person to undo the straps while we move it. Oh well.
0af01b00ebc439982943314165e34084.jpg
a3f014c12d8c703589031f1c51b9cae5.jpg
f260bda9a74c432a4a3ae45d760821e8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk