03 Sahara Metalcloak build

@b0xcar, looks great! I have all my stuff for the CB setup, just waiting for the SWR tuning. I talked to the lady who knows the Hamster again. She’s going to contact him. She asked, “What model is it?” Which I thought was a little funny. She seemed to think she’d remember and tell the Hamster. We’ll see....

@b0xcar, looks great! I have all my stuff for the CB setup, just waiting for the SWR tuning. I talked to the lady who knows the Hamster again. She’s going to contact him. She asked, “What model is it?” Which I thought was a little funny. She seemed to think she’d remember and tell the Hamster. We’ll see....
Alright, no SWR meter at the pawnshop I checked today. I will stop by another one tomorrow since it was closed today.

I’d buy one, I’m just pinched for spending money right now. I sold my tires so I could buy another wheel for my spare and it’ll be here on Tuesday. I found a used tire for $20, so I should be good to go by next weekend. Then I’ll just have to figure out how to mount it and extend my snubbers. Anyhow. Will see if I can get this guy to tune my CB. You’d think you could find one. Another idea is checking with some local Jeep guys. I don’t know any of them, but if I see a built Jeep I’ll stick a note on it.

I’d buy one, I’m just pinched for spending money right now. I sold my tires so I could buy another wheel for my spare and it’ll be here on Tuesday. I found a used tire for $20, so I should be good to go by next weekend. Then I’ll just have to figure out how to mount it and extend my snubbers. Anyhow. Will see if I can get this guy to tune my CB. You’d think you could find one. Another idea is checking with some local Jeep guys. I don’t know any of them, but if I see a built Jeep I’ll stick a note on it.

Alright, don't sweat it too much. I will have one for wolf caves trip. We will get you tuned up there.

Reactions: JMT
@JMT swr meters are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. I think I paid 20 bucks for mine, including the 3 inch extra cord you need. Not sure if you've looked or not...
Really pinched this month. LOL! The dough will be here soon though...

Reactions: Mike_H
Go dig through the couch cushions, man! LOL
Oh, I could just buy one, but I got a local Hamster who might tune it, and @b0xcar is getting one. I mean, how many times do you need to tune your CB? I assumed it was only once. So $20 for one use? That seems crazy. I'd rather split the cost with @b0xcar!

Oh, I could just buy one, but I got a local Hamster who might tune it, and @b0xcar is getting one. I mean, how many times do you need to tune your CB? I assumed it was only once. So $20 for one use? That seems crazy. I'd rather split the cost with @b0xcar!
You need to tune anytime you make changes...I looked at having mine tuned too, but my buddies that took them to the local truck stop to have it done paid like 15 bucks...so 20 to be able to do it anytime I want seemed like a better way to go for me. YMMV

The Jeep is CB ready now. Called some places in town for an SWR meter and no luck. Just purchased one for $68.99 online. @JMT you can just give me $25 if you want to split the cost. You're more than welcome to use it anytime!!!! It should be here by this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to make too many adjustments with my install.

20180319_171816.jpg

The Jeep is CB ready now. Called some places in town for an SWR meter and no luck. Just purchased one for $68.99 online. @JMT you can just give me $25 if you want to split the cost. You're more than welcome to use it anytime!!!! It should be here by this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to make too many adjustments with my install.

View attachment 36100
Man, that must be a nice SWR meter!

Reactions: b0xcar
I used more penetrol yesterday.

This time I used it for the side steps. Eventually I will get rid of them one day, but while they're on... we might as well make them look good again!

BEFORE - Really faded/gray

20180506_101126.jpg
20180506_101836.jpg

AFTER - Black and somewhat new looking

20180506_103115.jpg

20180506_103129.jpg

Check the color difference of the light metallic khaki from shade vs sun. Looks like 2 different Jeeps.

Next on the penetrol list will be the door entry guards. Will have to do some taping before applying.

Can someone educate me on the purpose of springs where the top five coils are touching?

View attachment 40767

I’m fairly certain @mrblaine had something informational to say at one point regarding springs like this. For the life of me though, I can’t find the post.

I’m by no means an expert, but it would seem that compressed top portion is effectively useless. I’m probably wrong though.

I used more penetrol yesterday.

This time I used it for the side steps. Eventually I will get rid of them one day, but while they're on... we might as well make them look good again!

BEFORE - Really faded/gray

View attachment 40752 View attachment 40753
AFTER - Black and somewhat new looking

View attachment 40754
View attachment 40755

Check the color difference of the light metallic khaki from shade vs sun. Looks like 2 different Jeeps.

Next on the penetrol list will be the door entry guards. Will have to do some taping before applying.

Looks totally different in the sun! Mine is the same way though as I also have a Khaki Rubicon.

Looks totally different in the sun! Mine is the same way though as I also have a Khaki Rubicon.
Yes, yours is beautiful Mr. Less is More! ;) I wish I could spend like you are right now. I'm hoping I can drop some more into mine next year with regear, lockers and TT. Wife said it was her turn next though. :eek:

Reactions: Chris
Yes, yours is beautiful Mr. Less is More! ;) I wish I could spend like you are right now. I'm hoping I can drop some more into mine next year with regear, lockers and TT. Wife said it was her turn next though. :eek:

Thanks! I have to chill out a bit though. We’ve got a lot of stuff that needs to be done around the house, so I need to cut back at least for a while!

Springs that are coil bound like that are essentially acting as a spacer. They don't compress, so provide no liner compression resistance. Marketing gimmick. There is only one way to make a progressive rate spring, and that is by varying the wire diameter. Spring rate is a very simple calculations...F=K*x

F = force
k = spring rate
x = distance

all the magic happens with the k variable...