03 Sahara Metalcloak build

I used more penetrol yesterday.

This time I used it for the side steps. Eventually I will get rid of them one day, but while they're on... we might as well make them look good again!

BEFORE - Really faded/gray

View attachment 40752 View attachment 40753
AFTER - Black and somewhat new looking

View attachment 40754
View attachment 40755

Check the color difference of the light metallic khaki from shade vs sun. Looks like 2 different Jeeps.

Next on the penetrol list will be the door entry guards. Will have to do some taping before applying.
Is this as easy at it seems? Just clean the area and apply? Would it work on basically anything plastic on the jeep? Black sidesteps, flairs, etc..?

Looks completely different.

Is this as easy at it seems? Just clean the area and apply? Would it work on basically anything plastic on the jeep? Black sidesteps, flairs, etc..?

Looks completely different.
Yes, this is very easy to apply. Clean the area, let it dry and apply the penetrol (I used a microfiber terrycloth and the uline blue nitrile gloves to protect my hands).

I only used 1 coat on the side steps. I put 2 thin coats on my hardtop. I would apply this to any plastic part on my jeep that needs to be restored. That's just me though.

Reactions: Cole
Finally purchased the Derale AT cooler and it arrived today. Hoping to find the time to get this installed before the next wheeling day.
20180813_145507.jpg

Nice buy bro! Gonna be cool on the trails now. We run these rigs hard all day!

Reactions: b0xcar
Just posting an update about my Metalcloak rear bumper/tire carrier. Had an inquiry about the bumper today.

You can't find much information on these bumpers.

Probably after about 3 months I noticed a rattle. I thought maybe it was something with the suspension but couldn't find anything underneath. After further inspection, I figured out it was the bumper. It has these rubber bumpers which I didn't realize could be adjusted. I adjusted the rubber bumpers 1/8th in. I have had absolutely no rattles since doing this. Finally added some washers so I could snug the rubber bumpers up.

20180820_105804.jpg

20180820_105850.jpg

20180820_153957.jpg

20180820_154226.jpg

I am also very pleased with this bumper and have zero complaints about it. Well... maybe the price? Definitely worth the price compared to others on the market. I have heard many times "You get what you pay for".

Nice! I guess the little rubber bumpers stayed out where you needed them for a few months then. Did the tire carrier just hold them in place for that time? Good solution.

Nice! I guess the little rubber bumpers stayed out where you needed them for a few months then. Did the tire carrier just hold them in place for that time? Good solution.
The rubber bumpers are basically a threaded bolt. I just drank a beer and said "watch this... I will unscrew it. This will make it snug" then it worked.

The rubber bumpers are basically a threaded bolt. I just drank a beer and said "watch this... I will unscrew it. This will make it snug" then it worked.
Some of my best ideas originated when I was drinking beer. Some of my worst ideas also originated when I was drinking beer.

Wondering what your wheel width, wheel backspace, and tire width is. Do you know? We are planning 33x12.5, 8" wheel w/4" BS and Rubi flares. But I see that your tires stick out past the wider saraha flares a bit, not sure we can get away with that with the new MA inspection process. Wondering if we need to plan on wider flares?

upload_2018-9-7_7-34-16.png

Wondering what your wheel width, wheel backspace, and tire width is. Do you know? We are planning 33x12.5, 8" wheel w/4" BS and Rubi flares. But I see that your tires stick out past the wider saraha flares a bit, not sure we can get away with that with the new MA inspection process. Wondering if we need to plan on wider flares?

View attachment 54492

Run a different wheel/tire combo for inspection if it wont fly.

View attachment 54492
I run a 33x12.5 tire. I'm not sure about the wheel width or BS. The Jeep had 32x11.5 tires when I bought it in '04. They were barely outside the flares with the 11.5 tire width. Not sure this info will help you?

Yes, slight vibes at 45mph-50mph. I dont get out on the Hwy much and hardly get up to 40mph daily. I have an appointment next Weds for some adjustments.
I liked that you have an appointment, not that you’ve still got vibes. ;)

I recently installed my Derale 20561 AT cooler this past week. Hit the trails today and must have ran it pretty hard. It's the 1st time I heard the fan kick on.

Few install pics...

20181012_183359.jpg

Hoses run along the fuel lines towards the front.

20181012_183605.jpg

Looking back at the cooler from the front.

20181012_183735.jpg

The hoses were hanging pretty low. I managed to use one of the hose clips and attached it to the frame.

20181012_183706.jpg

Ran the power wire through the driver side firewall.

20181012_184145.jpg

Setup a fuse tap in the #6 port which is powered by the ignition.

20181012_183822.jpg

Yeah, it really does look good. I’m glad I took a few minutes to look at the details in your pics. Frame and skid plate look good too. Everything you did on that Derale cooler looks better than professionally done!

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thats beautiful work @b0xcar, looks very well thought out. :)
Yeah, it really does look good. I’m glad I took a few minutes to look at the details in your pics. Frame and skid plate look good too. Everything you did on that Derale cooler looks better than professionally done!
Thanks guys! I'm just glad it works. There was a bit of relief when @JMT heard it running on our last trip out.

Reactions: JMT