03 Sahara Metalcloak build

Replaced the valve cover gasket today. The leak was getting bigger so I figured it was time to go for it.

I got all the bolts out with no issues, even the tricky bolt in the rear. The harness in the rear was a different story. I felt like I wanted to break that thing to pieces and get rid of it! After fighting with that bad boy and a bunch of wiggling back and fourth of the cover, I finally got it off.

View attachment 67975

The old gasket was torn. I'm hopeful this is the only oil leak I had.
View attachment 67976

Got everything seperated and ready for cleaning.
View attachment 67980

Cleaned up the valve cover the best I could. Almost clean enough to eat off of.
View attachment 67982

Put the new gasket cover on after some more cleaning. The rear area on this particular job is a real bear! I think I got it cleaned good enough though.
View attachment 67992

The cover went back on fairly easy.
View attachment 67993

Hoping this is the only oil leak I have.
Just did the same job. Seems to have fixed all my engine leaks.

Reactions: b0xcar
Looks like me and JMT are gonna git to do all the cool rides first :kitt-kit:
Cool = Kiddy?

We have to get you to do this section this Sat. I remember the 1st time @JMT and I came up on this. Just like you did your 1st time, we tucked our tails and said NO WAY!
Screenshot_20190124-194903_Gallery.jpg

@b0xcar I have a NooB question you may answer at your leisure.
I'm looking at your suspension pic and it almost looks like your track bar is touching your drag link. ?
I'm sure it isn't because you would know, but is that a rub or wear mark on the track bar, not sure.
Could it be so close that it is giving your Jeep some vibes?
20181201_113621.jpg

@b0xcar I have a NooB question you may answer at your leisure.
I'm looking at your suspension pic and it almost looks like your track bar is touching your drag link. ?
I'm sure it isn't because you would know, but is that a rub or wear mark on the track bar, not sure.
Could it be so close that it is giving your Jeep some vibes?
View attachment 74377
Must be the angle of the camera. Just checked it lock to lock and the drag link isn't even close to touching the track bar. Sure does look like its touching though.

Finished up my front drive shaft before we hit the trails yesterday.

This was my 1st time changing ujoints. The centering yoke was a small challenge but I found one YouTube video that helped me a bunch.

You can get the ball out of the centering yoke by turning it to where the holes are exposed on each side. Use two screwdrivers on each end and pry it out. (Sorry no pic) It may take some time but eventually it will pop free.
20190122_183048.jpg

This is what you are left with. This ring needs to come out.
20190123_202725.jpg

20190123_202823.jpg

I used a make shift puller with two screws, socket, screwdriver and a hammer.

Put 2 screws into a shelf that is mounted to the wall.
20190124_143650.jpg

Drop a socket that will fit into the centering yoke. (I forget the size I used)
20190124_143712.jpg

Use a screwdriver to apply pressure against the socket. Tap the centering yoke with a hammer. You can see the inside ring start to break free.

20190123_204816.jpg

Centering yoke with the ring removed. Clean it up and grease the yoke.
20190123_205245.jpg

Install the new parts and this is the finished product.

20190124_144850.jpg

New ujoints installed. Now I get to see how long my work lasts. 96300k miles.
20190124_154209.jpg

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
Can someone educate me on the purpose of springs where the top five coils are touching?

View attachment 40767

I was just on the MC website a few days ago, and they say the extra coils at the top allow the spring to maintain contact with the spring cups during full droop. And their was something about the collapsed coils no longer affect the spring rate for single rate performance on the road.

That might not be 100% accurate, but it was something like that.